JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Has anyone ever eaten deer meet after being hit by a car or truck? I was always under the impression that the meet isn't very good because of the trama the animal went through.

I never have so I am just going off of stories that others have told me.

Has anyone ever eaten deer meet after being hit by a car or truck? I was always under the impression that the meet isn't very good because of the trama the animal went through.

I never have so I am just going off of stories that others have told me.

I have. I have a buddy in eastern Washington who took one while I was visiting. He was able to get one backstrap, two hams, and neck meat from it. It was pretty obvious where the damaged meat was and he just cut the good stuff away, discarded the rest. It tasted fine. He said if the deer is clipped by a car then you can get a lot of good meat off of it. 18 wheeler - forget it. He also said you also have to move fast to avoid spoilage.

So the answer to your question is that it depends on how the deer was struck, how hard (amount of bruising and whether the gut sack breaks), and how long its been laying there.

I've had road kill deer twice. Both times the dear was hit in the head and one front shoulder. That shoulder was all blood shot the opposite one was fine as was the back strap Liver Heart and hind quarters.

Last year my son was returning from a meeting in Sacramento and hit a bear just north of Shasta on I-5. Did over $10k damage to his vehicle. Bear did not survive. Luckily he did.
A bear?! Now that is not what you think of when you hear common roadkill. Did he get to keep it or did the commifornians take it away?

Someone I know hit a deer coming home from Tillamook. They didn't know what to do so they put in the bed of their pickup and continued home toward Banks. Somewhere along the way the deer stood back up, they hit the brakes and it jumped out and ran into the forest. Also, most of HWY 6 has no cell phone service. They couldn't call the Po-lice.
I have heard of this happening when a guy in Minnesota hit a deer and threw the dead carcass into the back seat. :eek: The deer resurrected and trashed the inside of the vehicle trying to make sense of what had happened and trying to escape. The deer successfully made off and was never seen thereafter by the poor driver...

A bear?! Now that is not what you think of when you hear common roadkill. Did he get to keep it or did the commifornians take it away?
years ago I was riding in a Volkswagen Beetle climbing up past Mt Blanca in southern Colorado. It was around midnight with a full moon.. suddenly a large black object came out of the darkness and slammed into the passenger side of the car- went ocer the hood and landed on the far side... The driver had the presence of mind to recognise it as a bear. The damage was minimal.. we stopped and grabbed our rifles and stood along the roadway, looking for the critter... we could hear low growling and grumbling in a big thicket of small oak and pine... We thought a minute about finding his butt in that thicket... thought the best of it<<<<Guardian angels at work!<<<, and continued on our way... We were heading to deer camp, and I did get a young doe, who made fine eating..

What if you hit Sasquatch - can ya take him home? :D I would be concerned taking meat from some of the roadkilled deer i have encountered. Popped guts oozing into the body cavity - popped intestines being worst. o_O

I had a lady give me grief once after my exwife hit & killed a deer outside mt angel right by the abbey. We didn't know exactly what to do with the hamburgered animal in the roadway, her car was totalled. While waiting on popo and tow truck the deer was still spasming and trying to get up. Ex and I were both armed with pistols. Lady giving me grief was mad I didn't put one in the animals brainpan. :confused: I didn't want to pop a round off with a bunch of bystanders, the abbey, and some houses nearby.

That was a loooong time ago. These days if a deer were hit, I am not wasting a phone call to the cops unless theres injuries to people or property damage to private property. I just drag the roadkill to the side so no one else hits it and let nature do its thing. When I was driving tow truck I came across 3 or 4 a year on trips to/from the coast or central oregon. Sometimes amazed that I never found the car that hit them anywhere in the vacinity. Figured semis most of the time, but one memorable one down by Detroit Lake had car sized skidmarks nearby. Could have been coincidence but both skids and dead deer looked fresh.

I almost tagged the worlds most badass or retarded doe one night south of Scholls as well. Coming around a sharp right curve in a 20,000 lb flatbed this damn doe was just standing in my lane not moving. I had an oh $#!7 moment and locked up the brakes and kind of got sideways and slid by in the oncoming lane. Damn deer stood there watching until I had passed then sauntered off casually. I told my boss and his respinse was "next time just hit the damn deer" vs risking putting his $90,000 truck into the ditch :rolleyes:

I have heard of this happening when a guy in Minnesota hit a deer and threw the dead carcass into the back seat. :eek: The deer resurrected and trashed the inside of the vehicle trying to make sense of what had happened and trying to escape. The deer successfully made off and was never seen thereafter by the poor driver...
Shades of "Tommy Boy"!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've "Dispatched" something like 40 deer/critters over the years including one a couple of years ago just about the time the law changed here. I was in Urban Kinky Kounty and the Deer had been hit hard enough to bury the Head(my usual Target) in a blackberry thicket. So, a high behind the left shoulder shot was called for and proved that the ammo I was using is effective! One shot and the Deer never moved another inch. The hind legs were going 100mph and the chest was pumping like crazy, right up until I fired. I'm sure it would have proven to be some tasty eating but it was not to be.

Then again, BMW seems to have an automatic deer scooper feature so you don't even have to slow down in order to take your road kill home...
deer1.jpg deer2.jpg deer3.jpg

Last Edited:
Kinda looks like a horrible hard hat deep salvage diver accident. Also reminds me of various high speed car wrecks. Also the rare vehicle under the freight train freight car wreck. Yuck! :(

"Hey you new guy! Go clean up that car!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads