JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well there was certainly ground meat in her radiator! I had never pondered the issue, not even at the time. Was having a conversation yesterday and it came up and the person asked why we didn't salvage the animal.

My wife hit a deer with her Subaru Impreza around Thanksgiving last year on her way to work.
In June or 2016 the Skexies in Olympia (lawmakers) passed the roadkill law saying that we lowly subjects are ALLOWED to keep the offending animal.
That was the first deer we had ever struck in 45 years of driving (dogs are a different story):(
The Ins company waived the deductible to boot.... FREE MEAT!!!!!!
20161118_082306.jpg

20161118_082908.jpg
20161124_220004.jpg

Last Edited:
Someone I know hit a deer coming home from Tillamook. They didn't know what to do so they put in the bed of their pickup and continued home toward Banks. Somewhere along the way the deer stood back up, they hit the brakes and it jumped out and ran into the forest. Also, most of HWY 6 has no cell phone service. They couldn't call the Po-lice.

Not long ago, but pre rule change on keeping road kill, A friend of mine barrowed his mother in laws Prius, hit a cow elk near Beaver Or.. The attending officer of rational mind for a change, reasoned it was not a purposeful kill and allowed him to claim the meat. Still drivable, albeit very sad to look at, (the Prius) He packed it nearly full and drove home.
If you are gonna screw up your mother in laws car, it helps to stock her freezer full of prime meat.

I personally hate wasting perfectly good food. In this case premium organic and delicious source of protein. I'll admit to using common sense in the past and not letting it spoil, especially since I didn't tag out that season. On the plus side it was someone's else's grief of having a fudged up car, while I salvaged almost 60 pounds of that young buck!

With today's technology, we should just be able to call state police or Odfw and tell them what happened and get a permison to salvage the meat or wait for a trooper to approve it. Shouldn't be this hard

Totally legal here in Idaho.........just have to call the sheriff......that said, they busted a guy in the gas station here last year that claimed the nice out of season buck in the back of his truck had been hit......it didn't add up and the story didn't hold up.

I think, (but not sure) that in Oregon if you have a CCL and you hit or see hit a deer or other animal and it is not dead you can call the Sheriff or OSP and if given permission you can legally shoot and dispatch the injured animal. I do not know about current laws allowing gleaning of the animal. I do know that many destitute families will glean roadkill if the temperature is cold and the kill fresh. Lousy way to live but a good protein sources is a good protein source.

My wife hit a deer with her Subaru Impreza around Thanksgiving last year on her way to work.
In June or 2016 the Skexies in Olympia (lawmakers) passed the roadkill law saying that we lowly subjects are ALLOWED to keep the offending animal.
That was the first deer we had ever struck in 45 years of driving (dogs are a different story):(
The Ins company waived the deductible to boot.... FREE MEAT!!!!!!
View attachment 388857

View attachment 388860

Shhhhh!!!

You have to have a permit? Won't start till 2019???
Not surprised, just indescribably disappointed in our state, and goes exponentially up from there for toilet paper Brown and her minions!
With Moneygrubbing Oregon, Its all about the $'s. And Power!
I offer the shameful $24.50 I just paid for the eastern Or. general turkey tag as evidence! (one of only 450 available for 2/3ds of the state)
Whose season I might add, starts one week after the start of hunting season:confused: Just to piss hunters off I'm sure.
I'm surprised you're not forced to turn in the breast meat for medal exam of some sort of turkey study, however you do have to report, for fear of financial penalty and or 30 years in prison with life suspension of hunting privileges, forfeiture of your camo gear, and anything else they can think of.
(Ok, for those not into satire; everything after "30", may not be accurate)

Yes, nice try Oregon, I'm going purchase a permit on the off chance that I hit a deer or hope there is a licensing agent like Fred Meyer open late enough nearby. Granted if I was out on the open road routinely, I might.
I did hit a deer once on HWY 99W in my 88 Accord. ruined my right front corner. That car had those pop up headlights too, so after wiring a temporary headlight in place, "Deer Hunter" as my car became known, looked like she was winking at you.

Last Edited:
Yes, nice try Oregon, I'm going purchase a permit on the off chance that I hit a deer or hope there is a licensing agent like Fred Meyer open late enough nearby. Granted if I was out on the open road routinely, I might.
I did hit a deer once on HWY 99W in my 88 Accord. ruined my right front corner. That car had those pop up headlights too, so after wiring a temporary headlight in place, "Deer Hunter" as my car became known, looked like she was winking at you.

:s0122:

Seriously Alex, do you have a photo?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews