Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Here to learn

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by k13west, Nov 13, 2013.

1. k13west

k13west Oregon New Member

I've been hunting all my life but I'm new to handguns and centerfire rifles. This website community has a wealth of knowledge and I'm looking to learn as much as I can from the people on the forum.

I'm currently looking for a sidearm for bowhunting, and considering a Ruger or S&W .357, or possibly a 357 Sig. Any thoughts? Should I consider a used gun as I shop?

I look forward to quality discussion and the chance to gain some knowledge.

K13

2. captqc

captqc Tigard Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Hi K13, welcome to the forum! You can't go wrong with a .357 but it will depend on what you are comfortable shooting. You don't list what part of the state you are in but I suggest you go to a range and try out different pistols and revolvers before you buy. I've picked up a ton of used guns and have had very few issues in doing so. Enjoy! Gary

3. k13west

k13west Oregon New Member

Thanks for the reply, Capt. I'm in east Portland for the summers and Tillamook in the winter, I'd love to find a range where I could get a chance to shoot different revolvers. I know that the English Pit in Vancouver rents handguns, are there places in Oregon that do the same?

4. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Welcome. I have a Glock G20 that is getting use as my woods sidearm. 10mm and 357 mag are relatively comparable. I like having the extra capacity. It's not a revolver though.

The Clackamas County Public Safety Training Center also rents handguns. It's close to the Clackamas Town Center.

5. stavros4570

stavros4570 eugene,or. Member

Use a Ruger Blackhawk in 45colt. The bigger the chunk of lead, the sooner it's over!

6. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard:thumbup: