JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I actually hope SCOTUS addresses magazines and "assault weapons" as soon as possible. Only their decision can put the end to the blanket pulling contest.
True this is going to get to a court at some point. I can think of people much worse than Alan Gura to argue a case who I would imagine arguing such a case. Good libertarian lawyers are a great thing to have.

I'd just prefer it to be a case against a state for their bans than the feds. Keep my skin out of the courts at that point.

Did ya'll notice that weapons specifically exempted - thus still allowed to be manufactured and sold - are Ruger Mini 14's and Mini 30's with their standard stocks? A Semi Auto .223 or 7.62 is OK if it has a traditionally styled wood stock, but a semi auto in .223 or 7.62 that looks like an M4 is evil and must be banned. Great logic there. M1 carbines are apparently likewise OK.

They didn't specify any particular handguns in the banned or exempt column - which surprised me. But why have a list of "exempt" weapons that are bolt, pump, or lever action anyway if your goal is elimination of semi-autos? 122 pages of uselessness - and 2/3 of that is useless listing of weapons not even effected by this proposed ban ANYWAY.

Mini-14's don't look as scary, hence they are not included, even though you can fit a 30 round magazine in them and do just as much damage as an AR15, but they look closer to a classic hunting rifle which is why they are not included. The weapon's menacing looks are a bigger factor to being included in her list, than the firepower or amount of lead it can spit out in any given amount of time.

I still don't understand the significance of a firearm having a pistol grip vs a wood stock, other than one looks scarier, but she included rifles with pistol grips in her ban for some oddball reason.

I should post that pic of Feinstein muzzle sweeping a whole room of people with her finger on the trigger with an AK47.

I would like to see the study that indicates ergonomic features increase the likelihood of inflicting death.

I'd also like to see scientific proof to back up Senator Can't Understand Normal Thinking's statement that "these guns in 2012 are twice as lethal as they were in 1993."

ak47_5a_zpsd677ccb3.jpg

Feinstein muzzle-sweeping a room full of people with her finger on the trigger.

Eddie Eagle says the proper protocol for this situation Feinstein has put the entire room of people in is to STOP! Don't touch. Leave the area. Tell an adult (Not Feinstein).

True this is going to get to a court at some point. I can think of people much worse than Alan Gura to argue a case who I would imagine arguing such a case. Good libertarian lawyers are a great thing to have.

I'd just prefer it to be a case against a state for their bans than the feds. Keep my skin out of the courts at that point.

Yes, and it will be one of the states or DC. There is a ton of cases in the pipeline, they will ripe much sooner than the federal one, especially since there is nothing to challenge yet.

What the heck do they have against barrel shrouds? Right in their bill they say it keeps you from burning your hand on a hot barrel. How does a safety feature turn a gun into an "assault weapon".

After the last gun ban in the Clinton administration the following mid term elections resulted in massive change of power. A huge number of those who voted for the ban being kicked out of office. Remind your Senators and congressmen that this is not supported by you. If enough people care enough to stop this madness maybe it can be stopped.

Jimmy the average drunk driver does it over 500 times before they get caught. From your post you sound like a hazard on public roads. I see drunk driving as no different than taking a gun and blindly firing it in some random direction and hoping you don't hit someone. .15% BAC is almost twice the legal limit. Even if you think you aren't drunk. There is a public interest in keeping intoxicated drivers off the roads. Your post doesn't belong on this discussion.

Im against all forms of bubblegumty driving not just drunk driving. Why single out just the drunks? Alcohol shouldn't be the only factor for an arrest due to bad driving, but currently, its the only things cops look for and arrest anyone consistently for. I've gotten a careless and imprudent ticket, which is a mere slap on the wrist compared to DWI even though you have to be driving incredibly bad to get one.

Texting While Driving: How Dangerous is it? - Feature - Car and Driver

^above is a good article. Currently texting and driving is treated with a mere $100 fine or so. Drunk driving requires arrest, probation, 40 hours community service, going to a Victim Impact Panel (studies have shown that VIP's actually cause recidivism rather than reduce it and are more a forced donation to MADD than anything else)a fine that is usually between $500-$600 and a lawyer bill that is around $1000, a $375 evaluation and entry into a SATOP program, and they pull your driver's license for atleast 3 months, as a minimum for your first. The drivers who were .08 in the study stopped 4 feet slower than had they been sober. The sober texting and driver's stopped 76 feet slower than if they had been undistracted.

Would you agree based on this study, that texting and driving should carry a penalty that is 19x harsher than what you get for DWI? Lets put some teenagers in jail for 5 years minimum over that kind of driving since it's empirically worse than driving at a .08 BAC.

As long as you're not drunk, legally speaking, you can drive really bad and only face a mere ticket. I'm just against the double-standard, I say incarcerate ALL bad drivers the same as if they had been drinking and driving, if they show a gross negligence while driving even when they're sober. Currently our laws do not reflect that though. Stupid sober driver's belong in jail too.

edit: This is a good article. You make it seem like its worse to be victimized by a drunk driver than a sober driver. Here is an article about families of victim's who died to a texter and driver, and they feel shortchanged, where had the driver been drunk, they can easily face 10 years to 25-life in prison over such an accident. Just an opinion of people who have been victimized by sober drivers and find that the legal system mandates less punishment if the driver is sober, even if their driving was incredibly negligent. BTW, the sober Texter and driver, was sentenced to a mere 45 days in jail for killing the man.

http://rockcenter.nbcnews.com/_news...t-slap-on-the-wrist-say-victims-families?lite

They can't go after handguns - SCOTUS decision is in the way.

Yes they can go after handguns they (the Obama administration) will just change the laws or inact them and make us fight it out in court, it will take years to reach the USSC.

Some of the changes they could make, more than 10, or 7 or whatever number rounds.
Over so many ounces of weight, they had something about over 50 ounces at one time or tried to do that.
User I.D. features
License fees, permits, etc.

Please do not fool yourself, they will come after handguns if they pass an AWB, it may take 20 years or more to get the vast majority of handguns but they will do what they can to get them.

Handguns are usually the reason behind most shooting deaths rather than rifles, hence this AWB won't save very many lives since shootings with rifles tend to be very rare in this country.

The best advances in firearm technology has been in the last 150 years, conical bullets, smokeless powder, bullets seated into a cartridge with all your powder and primer in the same package, semi-automatic and self reloading. The telescopic bolt was designed over 100 years ago, and she's basically trying to make it illegal now, 100 years after the fact even though it's one of the greatest improvements to firearm technology ever thought up.

I think this country should take pride in its lax gun laws, I like to know that I can walk into any of several local gun stores (when there isn't a run on my favorite firearms) all less than 6 miles from where Im sitting now, and walk out with an AK47 with atleast a 30 round magazine, and if I do some shopping, a 100 round magazine. I know her strategy which is to go so far to the extreme, that when the bill gets compromised on, it won't be quite as bad but there will be some significant restrictions on firearms when it's all said and done.

I personally think the bill will die in the House if it doesn't get filibustered in the Senate. There are plenty of Democrats from Western and Appalachian states, that aren't California Hollywood/San Francisco liberals, and if the Democrats want to keep any power that they have in the US political system, it makes no sense to support this bill, at all. One of the main reason's I would never move to California is because of their gun laws, I don't think passing a California style gun law would work well with all the other US residents in each of the other 49 states.

Yes they can go after handguns they (the Obama administration) will just change the laws or inact them and make us fight it out in court, it will take years to reach the USSC.

Some of the changes they could make, more than 10, or 7 or whatever number rounds.
Over so many ounces of weight, they had something about over 50 ounces at one time or tried to do that.
User I.D. features
License fees, permits, etc.

Please do not fool yourself, they will come after handguns if they pass an AWB, it may take 20 years or more to get the vast majority of handguns but they will do what they can to get them.

We were promised circumvention of Constitution via Executive Orders and UN treaties. I wonder why would Obama waste this opportunity to do that, and instead call for Congress to change the law ? Doesn't want to get his hands dirty ? :D

Did ya'll notice that weapons specifically exempted - thus still allowed to be manufactured and sold - are Ruger Mini 14's and Mini 30's with their standard stocks? A Semi Auto .223 or 7.62 is OK if it has a traditionally styled wood stock, but a semi auto in .223 or 7.62 that looks like an M4 is evil and must be banned. Great logic there. M1 carbines are apparently likewise OK.

They didn't specify any particular handguns in the banned or exempt column - which surprised me. But why have a list of "exempt" weapons that are bolt, pump, or lever action anyway if your goal is elimination of semi-autos? 122 pages of uselessness - and 2/3 of that is useless listing of weapons not even effected by this proposed ban ANYWAY.

There is a method to the madness. That long list of allowed guns is window dressing to show that "see we aren't banning guns...".

One of the bill's definitions of an "assault weapon" is any semiautomatic with a threaded barrel - so the mini-14/mini-30 without a threaded barrel is fine but the more "assault looking" version of it is banned. I was looking at a springfield m1a - from what I can see - it will be banned -

But, as I read it, the springfield m1a can be made "legal" if you remove the threaded barrel "feature" of the weapon. Springfield Armory can simply produce these with a press fit muzzle brake and be legal? Can an existing springfield armory m1a can have the threading removed and have the the muzzle brake pressed on? For example, machine off both thread surfaces and install a bushing to make it a press fit... etc.

Jeff

p.s. This is my first post...

But, as I read it, the springfield m1a can be made "legal" if you remove the threaded barrel "feature" of the weapon. Springfield Armory can simply produce these with a press fit muzzle brake and be legal? Can an existing springfield armory m1a can have the threading removed and have the the muzzle brake pressed on? For example, machine off both thread surfaces and install a bushing to make it a press fit... etc.

Permanently attached muzzle brakes will likely be okay. There are already rifles produced for certain states where muzzle brake is spot welded after being screwed onto the barrel. Feds also allow permanent attachment (via spot welding, silver solder or pinning) of a muzzle device for the 16" rule.

I watched Feinstein on one of the Sunday morning talk shows today. She's senile. She is stumbling over words and obviously is confused. She's running on autopilot. Hasn't had a new thought in 20 years. This bill needs to die now.

And yes, "assault" rifles are defined by how scary they look. Nothing more.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top