JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thanks to Defense Minister, Oathkeeper1775 and others for posting their letters on this forum. I borrowed some language from some and ended up with a condensed version that I feel accomplishes the goal. I added parts to the suggested ballot title since that has not got much mention. One little itty bitty part could be enough to earn you a class b felony if that part allowed you to complete a prohibited firearm or magazine. Here is my letter, let me know what you think:

Oregon Attorney General C/O

Oregon Secretary of State

255 Capitol Street NE Ste. 501

Salem, OR 97310

Subject IP 43 Draft Ballot Title dispute

Dear Madam Attorney General Rosenblum,

The current Draft Ballot Title for Initiative Petition 43 is misleading by omission and does not adequately describe the full and far-reaching effects this Initiative Petition could have on hundreds of thousands of law-abiding Oregonians. The terms used in the current Draft Ballot Title are ambiguous and do not accurately describe the scope of weapons, magazines and parts that if possessed or transferred would be punishable by Class B Felony. A more appropriate and accurate Draft Ballot Title would read as follows:

'Criminalizes possession or transfer of semi-automatic firearms, parts and their magazines (defined); exceptions'.

Thank you for your consideration

Here is what I wrote. I decided to go the more thorough route. I think a variety of responses is best as it's more likely someone's point will stick and have an effect.

Good Afternoon,
I have an objection to the terms used in the ballot title for IP-43. The terms "assault weapons" and "large capacity magazines" are both intentionally misleading as there is no publicly understood standard to what these terms mean. Both of these terms are designed to make the public imagine one item while actually defining another.

As a matter of fact there is a significantly large portion of firearms, including both pistols and rifles, that are designed and sold with magazines that hold more than 10 rounds in their standard and as-designed forms. Magazines over 10 rounds are generally standard equipment whereas 10 round limited magazines tend to be the exceptions or because the firearm's form dictates a limited magazine size. The term "large capacity" would lead the public to believe that these are "aftermarket" or "extended" or otherwise non-standard magazines and generally over a 50 round capacity. Since the capacity restriction as defined is not of a subset of unique or specialty magazines but in fact restricting the standard magazine size that normally comes with most firearms purchased for legal purposes, the title should reflect that "standard capacity magazines over 10 rounds" are being restricted and not a subjective term like "large capacity".

The term "assault weapon" is also misleading as it has no popular definition and can only be described as pertaining to a combination of features and not an actual class of weapons. The term "assault weapon" is used to lead the public into confusing it with the term "assault rifle" which is a re-translation of a specific German rifle named the "sturmgewehr" or "storm gun" and is now generally understood to be an automatic or select-fire, intermediate caliber rifle suitable for military use. This mashing of terms is used to intentionally mislead the public. This doesn't actually ban any specific weapon but a combination of features, parts and accessories attached to a semi-automatic rifle which are also generally standard equipment and as-designed. Additionally, this proposal is essentially a ban on common semi-automatic handguns as well which have never been referred to as "assault weapons" in the media and furthermore are not generally associated with military exclusion. The proposal also addresses no other weapons besides firearms and the ballot title should reflect that this is a firearm restriction and not a general "weapon" restriction. Therefore this is more of a rifle accessory ban and a semi-automatic firearm ban. The ballot title should be changed so that it reflects a ban on "Common semi-automatic firearms, parts and accessories".

By including an intentionally misleading verb "assault" to the noun "weapon" the ballot title is trying to elicit an emotional response to the measure being proposed. Ballot titles should be kept factual and informative and non-emotional. By including the word "large" as part of "large capacity" the ballot title also elicits the idea that these are non-standard or exceptional sizes when that is not the case.

Please consider these objections and alternatives when finalizing the ballot title for IP-43 to more accurately reflect the content of the proposal. These changes would benefit those of the general public without extensive firearms knowledge to understand what is actually being proposed without being influenced by vague and emotional language.

Thank you,
:)

Here is what I wrote. I decided to go the more thorough route. I think a variety of responses is best as it's more likely someone's point will stick and have an effect.

Good Afternoon,
I have an objection to the terms used in the ballot title for IP-43. The terms "assault weapons" and "large capacity magazines" are both intentionally misleading as there is no publicly understood standard to what these terms mean. Both of these terms are designed to make the public imagine one item while actually defining another.

As a matter of fact there is a significantly large portion of firearms, including both pistols and rifles, that are designed and sold with magazines that hold more than 10 rounds in their standard and as-designed forms. Magazines over 10 rounds are generally standard equipment whereas 10 round limited magazines tend to be the exceptions or because the firearm's form dictates a limited magazine size. The term "large capacity" would lead the public to believe that these are "aftermarket" or "extended" or otherwise non-standard magazines and generally over a 50 round capacity. Since the capacity restriction as defined is not of a subset of unique or specialty magazines but in fact restricting the standard magazine size that normally comes with most firearms purchased for legal purposes, the title should reflect that "standard capacity magazines over 10 rounds" are being restricted and not a subjective term like "large capacity".

The term "assault weapon" is also misleading as it has no popular definition and can only be described as pertaining to a combination of features and not an actual class of weapons. The term "assault weapon" is used to lead the public into confusing it with the term "assault rifle" which is a re-translation of a specific German rifle named the "sturmgewehr" or "storm gun" and is now generally understood to be an automatic or select-fire, intermediate caliber rifle suitable for military use. This mashing of terms is used to intentionally mislead the public. This doesn't actually ban any specific weapon but a combination of features, parts and accessories attached to a semi-automatic rifle which are also generally standard equipment and as-designed. Additionally, this proposal is essentially a ban on common semi-automatic handguns as well which have never been referred to as "assault weapons" in the media and furthermore are not generally associated with military exclusion. The proposal also addresses no other weapons besides firearms and the ballot title should reflect that this is a firearm restriction and not a general "weapon" restriction. Therefore this is more of a rifle accessory ban and a semi-automatic firearm ban. The ballot title should be changed so that it reflects a ban on "Common semi-automatic firearms, parts and accessories".

By including an intentionally misleading verb "assault" to the noun "weapon" the ballot title is trying to elicit an emotional response to the measure being proposed. Ballot titles should be kept factual and informative and non-emotional. By including the word "large" as part of "large capacity" the ballot title also elicits the idea that these are non-standard or exceptional sizes when that is not the case.

Please consider these objections and alternatives when finalizing the ballot title for IP-43 to more accurately reflect the content of the proposal. These changes would benefit those of the general public without extensive firearms knowledge to understand what is actually being proposed without being influenced by vague and emotional language.

Thank you,
:)

Very nice! Are you adding any kind of header to this letter? I like the way you called out the use of the term weapon rather then firearm. Would you be ok with me posting a copy of your letter text on my reddit sub r/orgunowners? I am trying to come up with different letter ideas so others can put their own letters together.

Very nice! Are you adding any kind of header to this letter? I like the way you called out the use of the term weapon rather then firearm. Would you be ok with me posting a copy of your letter text on my reddit sub r/orgunowners? I am trying to come up with different letter ideas so others can put their own letters together.
No header, I only made some minor changes including "Dear Attorney General Rosenblum". Kevin Starrett from OFF recommended hand signing, scanning and then sending the letter. I would recommend including that but by all means, please pass it on. One thing to consider is that the content of the actual proposition is not for debate, only the title and it's accurate representation of the content. Plus they can only begin collecting signatures once the title is approved. If that process can be delayed and we can have the title accurately represent the law proposed, it makes it harder for the signature gatherers to lie about its content and makes it harder to gather the 80+ thousand signatures needed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top