JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone ever live in a float home before? Any insights?

And extra points if anyone happens to know where this specific home is or has any info on it. It's kinda awesome! :)

rzrPRYC.jpg

No, and never lived on Tahkenitch Lake. :D

I have fished close enough to that house spit to if I wanted too though. Don't have any info about that house. There used to be another floating home on the lake that was a rental. And there a several floating homes around the lake that people use as vacation homes. No homes on land and we've very seldom seen people at the other floaters.

If you can't find your floating dream home up in your neck of the woods, Portland has plenty of floating homes parked on the Willamette River.

Trespassing-Boaters.JPE

I lived in a boathouse at Jantzen beach for 5 years. Had a little ski boat in the back. Was great fun but the slip fee went up twice a year and was getting to be too much . It was like living in a small apartment.
Ya have to make sure you stay on the sidewalks or you'll get wet:p

And extra points if anyone happens to know where this specific home is or has any info on it. It's kinda awesome! :)

View attachment 379741

What specifically makes it awesome? I've thought about living on a sailboat, but determined that it was too risky. Just the few channels I watched on YT had many issues, including boats sinking.

I guess they do still rent The Lily Pad home.......you want some quiet solitude this is the place.
Beckman Enterprises - Float Cabin Site

There was that one year we were there and the owners of the floating home across the lake, 2-3 hundred yards, were doing a bunch of shooting from their floating home into the lake bank adjacent to their home.

What specifically makes it awesome? I've thought about living on a sailboat, but determined that it was too risky. Just the few channels I watched on YT had many issues, including boats sinking.

• Beautiful location
  • Sleeping on the water is awesome...at least I find it to be
  • Doesn't appear that you have any neighbors
  • Fish off your back porch...or front porch...or upstairs deck
  • Zombies can't swim
I do wonder if it would get old having to traverse from water to land every time you needed something, what the maintenance and upkeep would be, not having a garage, etc.

View attachment 379741

My father lived on a floating home on the Columbia for about 10 years. Biggest thing I can say is that it was constant work keeping up with the place. One thing I would never have imagined necessary was occasionally hiring divers to either install or re-position floats under the home to keep everything as close to level as possible, which isn't easy to do. Add some new big piece of furniture, like a piano, for example, and the house can start to tip one way or another. Problems with water lines, sewer and power and if you get below freezing, more problems there too.

Then there's always the idiots that ignore the 'no wake' signs and go blowing by your house and causing all sorts of havoc.

It was a nice home and it's kind of fun to be right on the water, but it seemed a big PITA to me.

My parents lived on Multnomah Channel for almost 20 years in 2 different houses. Everything etrain says is true. It's cool but expensive. They sold and moved to a house on the bank of the Snake a couple years ago. They prefer living next to the river over living on the river.

Is there some sort of property tax evasion or something like that involved?

No bills to pay or something?

I'm not seeing the true benefit unless you own the waterway to truly ensure no one comes around.

I can't speak to the pic in the first post. Someone owns the lake though so someone is paying taxes. As for living in a marina there is property taxes on the house itself. There is also a tax on the slip which, depending on the marina, you either rent or own. You don't actually even own it. It's a 100 year lease.

Is there some sort of property tax evasion or something like that involved?

No bills to pay or something?

I'm not seeing the true benefit unless you own the waterway to truly ensure no one comes around.

If you spent some time down there you might see what advantages there might be. Personally I wouldn't want to live on the water at Tahk, no power, water, etc. But that area is truly special.

I imagine you pay property taxes in Oregon on a water property. There was a place on the lake near shore several years ago were a piling, or snag(?) was that had a "For Sale" sign for Such & Such Realty on it. Now there's a floating home there. There are a very few water properties on Tahkenitch Lake that people owned from many years ago. They are grandfathered in and no one else can buy more as far as I recall.

Tahkenitch Lake is owned, at least the water is, by International Paper, as is Siltcoos Lake water. IP maintains the dams that were built in 1960. The dams were placed to keep the water level up. There is/was a pipe going from the Southern most arm (Booth Arm) of Siltcoos to the North arm of Tahkenitch. Water was then pumped up and over the hill at the south end of Tahkenitch at Bedolf Arm, and down into the town of Gardiner to the paper mill that operated from 1962-1998. Those pumps were still running 5-6 year ago, but all the mill buildings had been demolished in the mid 2000s.

It used to be that living on the water was not as glamorous as it is today. They used to be kind of tenement or slum housing on the water. A lot of it was built over hulks and other abandoned ships. A friend of my dad's used to live on one in the 50's built on top of an old barge. He used to say that he lived in a houseboat with a basement. All was well until one day it sunk after getting holed with a floating log and it sunk. He also said every morning they would pump out the bilge.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top