JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any one thought about fishing?? As in fishing nets, crawdad traps and trot lines??
Nothing sporting about the kind of fishing I'm talking about. Commercial type fishing, I'm going out to get some fish.
Preserving fish?
Net fishing, throw nets, straight nets, minnow nets. Last winter the idea hit me! Wow, what a concept. I have an old minnor net my father in law gave me 35 years ago and ran across it while rearanging my shop last winter. Light bulb flashed on. We are sournded by rivers and creeks full of fresh fish if we need food!!!
Let'er rip people!

I would just be careful if you decide to fish the Willamette for year round resident fish to eat. Salmon just kind of pass thru so they are OK, but when the state issues warnings about eating no more than certain amounts of Willamette resident fish per month, that probably means you shouldn't eat any at all!

Never tried it myself but for crawdad's heard of digging a hole in the river bed under the water and sticking a coffee can or large bucket inside the hole so the edge of the can is just over/level with the ground, then you put some bait in the bucket/can(IE. hotdogs or chicken) and supposedly the crawdad's will fall into the can and cant swim out.

I have a nylon seine net, 4'x12'x1/4", weighs around 1.5lbs., $18
poles not included, any straight 5' stick works fine,
small fish/minnows are the target, with two able bodies to operate it, i'm certain this can provide enough meat for a four or five people
I still need to figure out the best way to preserve them in a shtf senario
Any thoughts? I was thinking something like, dehydrating them over the dying camp fire

Another food source I would like to bring up, rodents, prebaited mouse traps are like 4 for a dollar and weigh nothing, I would venture a guess that 20-30 traps could feed a group of four to six people, and a ten year old could be set up running that kind of "trot line"
any thoughts?

Some people think that a dozen or so sea lions hanging around a dam are decimating the salmon and sturgeon runs. Just imagine what a few million people hanging out along the river bank will do to the fish population. Better have a back up plan

Fish is good, I am an Opportunivore (have opportunity wil devore)

I am also a standing member of PETA (People Enjoying Tasty Animals) I have been since I was babe and will be as long as i am breathing, thats what God put them here, not looking pretty, petting or to stare at in zoo.

Some people think that a dozen or so sea lions hanging around a dam are decimating the salmon and sturgeon runs. Just imagine what a few million people hanging out along the river bank will do to the fish population. Better have a back up plan

'bout choked on that one.
I was expecting you to say something about eating the sea lions

Ok; Google Fish Trap and Crawdad Trap, I lived on an island as a kid. Warm water would be much better but you can harvest some protien and collect the traps after dark.
I have spoken! :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads