JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Surfactant is product that does the same as diesel only MUCH more environmentally friendly. Basically, its job is to help herbicide stick to whatever you are spraying.

For blackberries you really don't need any, as the leaves are not waxy and liquids stay on them pretty well. Never hurts though and about 2 tablespoons per gallon is fine.

As to the mix, the container should give you the water to herbicide ratio.

Be real careful of drift with that stuff.

Good luck!

I use 2-4D (Weed-Be-gone) on lawn weeds. I prefer to spot spray if I can but I also spay the entire lawn sometimes. I generally use a little dish washing liquid as a surfactant. If that's no okay, why not? As infrequently as I use the stuff I've never noticed any problem.

I use 2-4D (Weed-Be-gone) on lawn weeds. I prefer to spot spray if I can but I also spay the entire lawn sometimes. I generally use a little dish washing liquid as a surfactant. If that's no okay, why not? As infrequently as I use the stuff I've never noticed any problem.

Good for you! Dish washing detergent works great. It makes the water in your solution more likely to stay on waxy weed leaves.

I seem to have a little better luck with Bayer lawn weed and crabgrass killer than Ortho products, but have no scientific evidence to back that up.

Helpful hint to everyone: before you make a mix always shake the contents of the bottle of herbicide to make sure nothing has settled. :)

I'd suggest a backpack sprayer. The solo is good, I like the jacto better: Amazon.com : Jacto XP12 Backpack Sprayer, Blue : Patio, Lawn & Garden Mine is 16l, but this might be a little more comfortable.
Calibrate it (it does not take long and you know what you are putting out.): https://www.malheurco.org/wp-content/uploads/Departments/Weed/BackpackCalibration.pdf
This makes sure you get optimal use of the herbicide and less likely to create resistant strains.
Using GPA means you are putting down the correct amount of active ingredient. It really is easy once you start using herbicides that way. An acre is 43,560 sqft. That back pack sprayer above will lay down about 1/4 acre at my spray speed.

Controlling the woody species as you are on the left side of the state, Triclopyr does a great job. Hit it in the fall before the killing frost. I like to get it out late Sept.>Oct.>2nd week Nov.

Jacto Inc. - Battery Backpack

jacto makes one that is powered by essentially a power tool battery I have only used their hand pump model and it is hands down the best hand pump model out there the powered version looks like it would work very well and every one I know who has used it have loved it.

I have used all of the commercial pump sprayers and jacto is the only one that doesn't leak on your back.

Got one just delivered. Charging the battery now. Later when it is still hot out I will go around and do some spraying on briars and maple and thistle that is now coming up after working the ground with the dozer.

Got one just delivered. Charging the battery now. Later when it is still hot out I will go around and do some spraying on briars and maple and thistle that is now coming up after working the ground with the dozer.

IMO, your better off spraying in the morning after the dew (if any) burns off. Basically, with this hot weather plants are in kind of shock mode and not translocating much of anything in the heat.

IMO, your better off spraying in the morning after the dew (if any) burns off. Basically, with this hot weather plants are in kind of shock mode and not translocating much of anything in the heat.

The briars and maples I will be spraying are in the shade in the woods. I've had good luck with this before, it was just that the cheap $10 sprayer I bought is a PIA.

Mixed in some liquid soap with water and 41% glyphosate. Went through that pretty quick, mixed up some more and went thru another gallon before my back gave out (walking around bent over kills my back - I am going to look for a wand extender).

Now I will go back and look to see how that did in a couple of weeks.

I will say the black mamba nitrile gloves I bought a while back are much better than any other disposable glove I have ever tried - well worth the extra cost.

I tried lower percentages - the premix you get from Monsanto - the Roundup - and it just did nothing. Of course that is 2 to 5%.

I mix the generic 41% from a gallon bottle with a an equal or greater amount of water and some soap and that seems to work. The generic is much cheaper than the Monsanto of any concentration - much cheaper and more effective at the higher concentration.

Bear in mind, I am spot spraying, not area spraying, and my time is worth more than a bottle of herbicide to me so I don't want to have to go back and spray again. This is one reason why I waited until I worked over the ground - now I don't need to spray large clumps of vegetation, only the stuff that sprouts back up, and I can get it just as it comes up so it goes more direct to the roots.

If you are going after brush and woody plants, you could save a lot of money by going with a Crossbow / Garlon mix that will smoke any woody plant at about 3/4 to 1 oz per gallon and add some sticker to it. Glyphosate has a different way of control, it accelerates the growth of Certain amino acids, and stops cell division. It works great on grasses and some broadleaf weeds, but no that well at all on woody plants at label rates.

If you look at the weeds/plants controlled by glyphosate you are not going to find woody shrubs or trees on the label. The reason you are having to use a 41% solution to get control on woody plants is that the woody plants store a lot more water/ moisture in them, and that dilutes the recommended rate of glyphosate that normally controls grasses. When you increase the amount of glyphosate ( active ingredient) to overcome that dilution you will get control. But that control comes at the expense of your wallet.

I would also suspect that any control you get with the glyphosate on the woody shrubs is going to be short lived, since most of those are probably the spawn of some pretty healthy and larger roots that can take a hell of a lot of glyphosate with not too many noticeable effects later on.

41%??? I am sure it is working but (again IMO) you are just throwing money away. Even 6% is overkill. Your dime, so just sayin'.

I lucked out some years ago and Home Depot had gallons of Gly Star Pro 41% for $11.00 a gal. I use it for general yard maintenance...Weeds in sidewalk cracks, beds, fence lines, light black berry, and I mix it according to the label at 2-3oz/gal. I'm on my last gallon and if I don't need that much?...

I am mostly spraying Himalayan Blackberry, some thistle, some maple as it comes out and it is in the area I am spraying, and some thimble berry. Leaving the salal alone as it is good ground cover and it grows low and does not tangle my feet when I walk thru it.

I am going to order/buy generic Crossbow as yes, it is supposed to work better on woody plants and I want to control/kill some maple as it comes out of the ground again. But I did not have any on hand today. I have sprayed maple with glyphosate before but it did not kill the maple, only burned the leaves and some of the saplings - they came back a year or two later - so I need the Crossbow.

In my experience all of the generic glyphosate even the commercial versions are pretty ineffective as are the Home Depot versions of round up the absolute best version of round up is called quick pro and I have found no advantage to mixing at greater than the recommended concentration.
As others have mentioned glyphosate is not very effective with woody plants and crossbow is a far better option.

IMG_1177.JPG IMG_1178.JPG

Stopped at Lowe's on way home from work and got some Crossbow.

I will try it this coming weekend.

Ordered a 2' wand extension from Gempler's so I don't kill my back walking around stooped over (much of the time, being tall sucks) - hopefully it will get here before the weekend.

What I sprayed Sunday is already showing effects. Broadleaf a lot more than grass (I have some grass growing on/thru my asphalt).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top