JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a cheap sprayer I bought for about $10 but it is a PIA. I have to pump it and pump it and pump it over and over again. The wand sucks. Between the two, it is way too much work.

I would like to get something that is much easier to use and more effective. I have a lot of brambles and other crap to spray.

Suggestions?

Most people buy sprayers that are too small, and then overfill them with solution, resulting in a very small air space to hold the air compressed by the pump. The fact that you only spent $10 when you admit you have a lot of brambles etc to spray tells me you made the common mistake.

Get a larger sprayer (that will have a larger displacement pump) or don't fill the one you have so full, and try again. I finally learned not to fill the sprayer beyond 2/3rds, and do most of my pumping to start with.
That way I wasn't stopping every 20 seconds to pump some more.

The alternative is to buy a power sprayer.
Good luck.

I've got a nice backpack sprayer you can have for free. I don't have a use for it anymore.
I'm in the Portland area. Looks like this.

71XsmIzM8ZL._SY679_.jpg

What I would like would be a sprayer I could pressurize with an air compressor - have not found one yet.

Battery operated won't work because I can't carry a 12v battery on my back and I don't have a quad.

If the arm pump sprayers work then that might be the answer.

I do not fill the sprayer tank really full. It is just a cheap sprayer that apparently has an inefficient pump and a poor wand.

since no atv or quad I really like my backpack sprayer. There are different levels of quality. The one I got from Home Depot works good but the one I bought from Stihl dealer in town seems to work way better and they are the same brand.

I have a 1 and 2 gallon sprayer from Home Depot... hDX I think is the generic brand. Both work fine. $10 and $20 respectively. Don't overfill and get a container properly sized for the job.

Kind of the wrong time of year to spray.

My $.02
Spray when new growth emerges in spring and then in the fall when the plant is pulling nutrients back into roots for winter from the leaves.

A lot of pump, pumps and pumping in this thread. :s0131:

The issue is, if you have a lot of spraying, lugging around a 2 gal pump sprayer gets heavy, and one gallon doesn't go far enough. Another issue you run into is if you don't empty the chemical and leave it sit for weeks and just add to it when you go out to spray. The chemical will react with a cheap model seal and swell it up and then it won't spray right. If you can access that little valve in the handle and replace it easily, that sprayer Jbett98's got would be the ticket.

I always keep a 1 1/2 gal sprayer in the truck with roundup in it, it's the "ROUND-UP" branded sprayer and has taken my abuse for several years now. I just have to flush the goo round-up causes in the valve a couple three times a season.

Don't forget to clean the screen in the spray wands tip. Round Up is the worst with these long pulpy fibers. I keep an old tooth brush handy for this when spraying.

I have a 1 and 2 gallon sprayer from Home Depot... hDX I think is the generic brand. Both work fine. $10 and $20 respectively. Don't overfill and get a container properly sized for the job.

Kind of the wrong time of year to spray.

My $.02
Spray when new growth emerges in spring and then in the fall when the plant is pulling nutrients back into roots for winter from the leaves.
Glyphosate should be sprayed during hot dry weather. The plants then transport it from leaves to roots. That's what the instructions said

What I would like would be a sprayer I could pressurize with an air compressor - have not found one yet.

Battery operated won't work because I can't carry a 12v battery on my back and I don't have a quad.

I do not fill the sprayer tank really full. It is just a cheap sprayer that apparently has an inefficient pump and a poor wand.
Patent the idea!

Glyphosate should be sprayed during hot dry weather. The plants then transport it from leaves to roots. That's what the instructions said

I use it any time of year as long as it will be dry for 24-48 hours. It just takes longer to work when it's cold. And as I understand it, Glyphosate interrupts the plants ability to take in/process food, so I guess it starves to death.

Wonder if you could simply drill a hole, get something like these:
short-short-metal-171398-lrg.jpg

k_and_l_supply_aluminum-tire-valve-stems_252.jpg

Hand pump it first to see what your pressure is at, probably not much. Then use your air compressor on it. I have a low pressure tire gauge for my riding mower tires which is probably what you would use here.

Last Edited:
Since part of my job is dealing with invasive plants, here are some tips:

Mix just enough product that you are gonna use it all and end up with an empty sprayer - product left in the sprayer can lose effectiveness and also really gum up the works.

Clean you're sprayer every time you use it. If you use it for glyphosate (what Round up is) label it as such. I have two sprayers, one strictly for glyphosate and the other for broadleaf killer.

Use indicator dye so you can keep track of where you've been. It will pay for itself in the time and herbicide you save. A little goes a very long way.

Glyphosate typically takes a week or more to show results so don't get discouraged if it looks like nothing is happening. Broadleaf herbicides work differently so the plants show stress much quicker.

This time of year be VERY careful not to spray when it is too warm, especially with broadleaf herbicide. If it evaporates it can drift and take out neighbors' gardens. Grapes are especially fragile. I stop spraying broadleaf herbicide at 75 degrees or so and glyphosate at 80. A light breeze is actually good as it mixes up the air better and lessens the chance of hurting neighboring plants.

For grasses and weeds in berry patches just paint herbicide on with an old rag tied to a stick. Use the same mix as if you were spraying.

Finally, FOLLOW LABEL DIRECTIONS. Monsanto/DOW/BAYER/ORTHO paid people a lot of money to make a product that works, so don't second guess their scientists. Too little of a mix you have poor kill; too hot you burn the tops but don't kill the roots.

Wonder if you could simply drill a hole, get something like these:
View attachment 377774

View attachment 377775

Hand pump it first to see what your pressure is at, probably not much. Then use your air compressor on it. I have a low pressure tire gauge for my riding mower tires which is probably what you would use here.

Over burden the tank once and you will not enjoy your bath Nor the plastic in your skin.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top