JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Temia Hairston's last conversation with her son was not an easy one. Michael Grace Jr. had been fired from a series of low-paying, unskilled jobs. He had a 4-year-old child and a pregnant girlfriend. Essentially homeless, the 28-year-old was not in a position to take care of anyone, even himself.

His mother didn't know what he needed more — a motivational speech or tough love.

"He had lost everything. He lost his Pizza Hut job. He lost his primary job. And because he lost his jobs, he lost his car also," Hairston, of Charlotte, told The Washington Post. "We were talking about baby Michael and I was like, 'you got to get it together because [the child's mother] is having to take care of him by herself because you're not working. I need you to get yourself together and get back on your grind.' "

Hairston said she wasn't sure if her words sunk in. "He was nodding," she said of the Oct. 29 conversation, "but he had a look on his face like he had nothing left to lose."

A few hours after the talk, Grace laced up a pair of Air Jordans, put on a mask and went to the west Charlotte Pizza Hut where he used to work, armed with a gun. Police say he and two men waited until the business was closed, then burst into the restaurant.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say what happened next is still under investigation:

"Three individuals . . . were in the process of robbing the business when one of the employees fired his own personal handgun at one of the robbery suspects, striking him," the police statement said.

Her son died robbing a Pizza Hut. Now she wants the employee who shot him to be charged with a crime.

Help me with this.
He couldn't support himself let alone his chickie and a kid, yet he could afford a pair Air Jordans and several tattoos! . . .
I can't get my head around this!?!?!?!?! Maybe he should have skipped either the tattoos or the shoes in favor of a vasectomy . . . OR maybe a lobotomy!!

Sheldon

The mothers attitude toward the victim in this, (the guy who had to shoot someone or face being shot himself) speaks volumes as to why her son turned out like he did.

This "Mom" is a prime example of what the left has brought us. Decades of making excuses for people. Nothing is ever "their fault". The thread on dope heads was a great example of this. People make piss poor life choices, then want me to pay for them to live.

"What is the policy on employees having guns?"

What is the policy of having useless, POS, losers, committing class three felonies, having guns!
Well, I know that this is going to keep me awake tonight!
For about 1.5 seconds.

Andy
You display entirely too much empathy.

Sheldon
Maybe so.
But a man did die. And the sum of what he was might not be what he was doing as he died.
Not making any excuses for his actions , nor agreeing with the "Pity my dead son" story his mother is spinning.
As I said before : "If you don't want to get shot , then don't commit a crime..."
Andy

Low expectations, participation trophies & zero accountability is the issue.

The you owe me attitude is something I'll never understand.

That's perfectly alright, Andy, I for one admire your humanity! It makes for a good guy!
We can leave all of the dirty little character jibes to me! I'm good at them!;)

Mom said, "I don't condone his actions, but he didn't deserve to die."

What about the guy her son was pointing his gun at? Did he deserve to die? I guarantee he thought he might.

Now Hairston said she wants justice for her son, whose final act was one of "desperation." She wants the Pizza Hut employee who killed him to be charged with a crime.

Justice? It would appear that is exactly what he received. A life time of being a screw up ended when he decided to violently take what wasn't his. One of the people so accosted responded with justifiable force to prevent harm coming upon him/her or on a coworker. It was because of the perps actions, a child no longer has a father, a mother lost her son, and the establishment's employees experienced a terrifying ordeal. The mother's grief is understandable, but ultimately the blame rests squarely on the deceased.

I think a lot of crime could be avoided if the government just gave out pot, along with the free food stamps, cell phones, child care and housing.
In the long term, it would be cheaper then warehousing low life offenders in prison.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top