JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Henrys, Yea or Nay?

• Yes! Most excellent!

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • They are OK, but nothing other options don't do just as well.

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • No, they suck, and the reason is ....

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Eh, some are good, some blow. The ones that are good are ...

• No idea. Good luck.

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Who needs a lever-action? Hi-Point carbines are where it is at.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • (burp) Wut wuz duh (fart!) ques'n eh-gin? (Ew, that was a wet one.)

• Total voters
The center fire lever guns aren't as buttery smooth as some, but they are new. I have some of the single shots and they are well finished and solid though there are complaints about stocks cracking, I haven't experienced it. The lever rim-fires have a reputation for wearing out but again I've only seen it on the internet not in real life, mine has never had any kind of failure and it was the cheapest Henry I could get, as stated above it does mysteriously grow rust for no reason, but again it was cheap. All that being said I also agree that the Rossi Lever and pump guns are probably built a little more stout but that's just the materials, not QC.

For reference, affected models are listed in the link, but i don't think it's all single shots that are affected.

Henry Repeating Arms said:
Henry Repeating Arms Company has recently discovered a potential safety issue with H015 Single Shot Rifles and Single Shot Shotguns. Henry is voluntarily initiating a recall to protect the safety of its customers.

To prevent the possibility of death or serious personal injury, you should immediately stop using your H015 model Single Shot Rifle and/or Single Shot Shotgun and not load or fire them until they have been upgraded.

The Issue & Fix:
Under certain conditions, it is possible that some of these rifles and shotguns may discharge without the trigger being pulled if the hammer is partially cocked and released. Henry has identified the cause of the issue, and it will be corrected by replacing various components of the fire control system.

Complimentary Upgrade:
Henry Repeating Arms is also implementing a complimentary and unrelated upgrade for all firearms affected by this safety recall. This upgrade involves a replacement of the trigger guard, hammer, and hammer spring. This design change to improve and reduce the trigger pull has already been incorporated into all H015 rifles and shotguns manufactured in 2020, and will be made to your rifle or shotgun free of charge.

For reference, affected models are listed in the link, but i don't think it's all single shots that are affected.

Yep both of my single shots need to go back, not sure I want to send them though, it looks like it only happens from letting the hammer slip from a half cock while pulling the hammer back, so in reality not that different from old single shots, Henry just has to cover their butts from a legal standpoint. Though I do have to wonder if a good hard whack to a hammer in the down position would also make it fire.

it looks like it only happens from letting the hammer slip from a half cock while pulling the hammer back,
I believe this has something to do with the nearly 100% complaint of all Henry SS owners who mention the heavy spring tension with both hammer and trigger pull.

I believe this has something to do with the nearly 100% complaint of all Henry SS owners who mention the heavy spring tension with both hammer and trigger pull.
Probably but I don't notice the hammer spring being as heavy as complaints would indicate, that being said I also don't mind the trigger on my LCR22X and that is also complained about as being particularly heavy. The beauty I guess of only buying well below top tier guns is I don't notice bad triggers and heavy springs as much.

I think I got really lucky with my BBB in that the action and trigger were really good when new. A minor action issue but it was easily resolved and did not inhibit function.

Like I said I do believe Henry created some problems for themselves starting in about 2015 but appear to be handling them to some degree.

Last Edited:
Only Henry I own is a Small Game carbine in .22wmr. The action was buttery smooth from the get go, and I prefer the peep sight to buckhorns. I dislike the glossy finish on the metal parts and the slick wood finish. The only 'problem' encountered in the last three years was from the grandsons short-stroking the lever, which was solved by explaining why the spent case jam happened and why they should cycle the lever with more authority.

The new center-fire Henry's with the combination of side-loading gate and magazine tube-loading certainly got my attention. But I don't care for the brass or crescent butt stock. Maybe Henry will introduce more options in the future.

The classic lines of a Winchester will always have the greatest appeal to me. But at my age, some sort of optic is needed so side-ejecting lever actions are a must. [I can still see 20/20 at a distance, it's the close objects that are blurred.]

I had the cheap 22lr, and it started rusting in the safe after being put in dry. Rust was on the reciever and lever.
I noticed a bit of rust after the gun had been stored for a while. Luckily it was light enough that it came off with an oily rag. I wiped the whole gun down and haven't had a problem since. Granted, the gun's in a low humidity safe, but I didn't think it should have rusted up, either.

Have one of the cheapie .22's. Actually like it quite a bit, reliable, decently accurate and the cheaper materials don't seem to matter all that much for a .22 rifle. Action is reasonably smooth, too. Good enough for what it is and I'm not sure I'd get much more from any other manually-operated .22 on the market.

Some of the Italian lever rifles are pretty good, checkout some reports on SAS forums. I had one in .357 (Pendersoli I think?) and reallllly regret selling it. If your going .22 give a used Browning a good look. That said, you'll take my Marlin .45-70 from me when I am cold and dead or whatever. I just can't get over the zinc on the Henry's since zinc rot is an eventuality that can't be stopped. And it haunts me from working in other industries..

I own 4. .22, 357 lever, .357 single shot that Reno customized, 45 colt with octagon barrel. I really like all mine. No issues, except my .357 lever is not as smooth with .38 specials. never had an issue, its just not silky smooth. I really want a .327 and a .45 x series. (suppressed 45 colt makes me smile to think of.)
Was just looking at the Big Boy X in 44 mag last night. Not available right now but color me surprised!

EDIT- I was told the only caliber available is the .327

Last Edited:
I own the 45-70 All-Weather model (pre-side gate) and I love it. Beautiful, chromed steel and walnut. Action is smooth and solid and I have no complaint about the trigger though I can honestly say I've never weighed the pull. Literally the favorite gun, among all I own, of everyone who handles or shoots it. No complaints from me and if I have an issue in the future, Henry customer service is top notch.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top