JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Henrys, Yea or Nay?

• Yes! Most excellent!

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • They are OK, but nothing other options don't do just as well.

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • No, they suck, and the reason is ....

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Eh, some are good, some blow. The ones that are good are ...

• No idea. Good luck.

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Who needs a lever-action? Hi-Point carbines are where it is at.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • (burp) Wut wuz duh (fart!) ques'n eh-gin? (Ew, that was a wet one.)

• Total voters
I own 4. .22, 357 lever, .357 single shot that Reno customized, 45 colt with octagon barrel. I really like all mine. No issues, except my .357 lever is not as smooth with .38 specials. never had an issue, its just not silky smooth. I really want a .327 and a .45 x series. (suppressed 45 colt makes me smile to think of.)
I have a .357 lever and a .22. Mine was not as smooth as the .22 until I really lubed up the (in scientific terms) metal lever thing inside the gun. Now it's smooth as butter; I would make sure all the internals are nice and lubed up.

I've got a BBS in .41 mag and love it. At nearly half the cost of a Marlin '95, well worth it. I also have Rossi .357, Marlin 30 AS ,30-30, and a Savage 99F .308. They're all great PAX

Last Edited:
I think they're great rifles from a great American company.
The Henry Rifle Company does a lot for the shooting sports.....more than most.

Fit, finish and smoothness of these rifles is excellent.
With side gate loading across the line, the naysayers will have to find something else to complain about.
And hey, with tube loading retained, you can unload out the tube.
Best of both worlds.

I'm waiting for the Big Boy Steel 20" side gate model (.44 Mag) to hit the shelves.

I'm thinking my grandkids might enjoy one of Henry's 410 guns. Lots of squirrels on our place.

16F80119-36AE-4399-B8DA-C081433C3F9E.jpeg

I'm thinking my grandkids might enjoy one of Henry's 410 guns. Lots of squirrels on our place.

View attachment 816130
While they would certainly bag the little critters the one downside I would see is do you already have ammo? If not is any out there without paying through the nose? Not having anything .410 have not paid any attention to that to see if it's like so much other ammo. If ammo would be a problem one of the better air rifles may be a better choice. They would drop the critters dead and be great practice for the younger shooters to keep a keen eye.

While they would certainly bag the little critters the one downside I would see is do you already have ammo? If not is any out there without paying through the nose? Not having anything .410 have not paid any attention to that to see if it's like so much other ammo. If ammo would be a problem one of the better air rifles may be a better choice. They would drop the critters dead and be great practice for the younger shooters to keep a keen eye.

I do have some .410 ammo (but of course not enough). You're right, it's hard to find right now - and expensive when you do find it.

I'll look into an air rifle, too. Thanks for the suggestion.

@CountryGent , I haven't shot a Henry yet - only handled them in stores. But they seem well-made, and the ones I've handled have a smooth action.

After I've shot the 410, I'll try to remember to let you know how it runs.

I do have some .410 ammo (but of course not enough). You're right, it's hard to find right now - and expensive when you do find it.

I'll look into an air rifle, too. Thanks for the suggestion.

@CountryGent , I haven't shot a Henry yet - only handled them in stores. But they seem well-made, and the ones I've handled have a smooth action.

After I've shot the 410, I'll try to remember to let you know how it runs.
I kind of "guessed" that ammo would be like most. Sad.
As for air rifles the damn things have come light years from the ones I had as a kid. I almost bought one a couple times to control the rats here. The multi shot one Gammo makes runs about what a base .22 rifle runs and the video's I have seen make them look damn impressive.
Any practice is good practice. When I got my first BB gun as a kid parents had trouble getting me to come in to eat for a while:D. I got so damn good that when my Dad next took me out to shoot my .22 I badly out shot him, which had him allowing me to take the "real rifle" out on my own. When I could afford ammo :D

I don't have any experience with any other lever actions, besides my Big Boy carbine in .45 Colt. Absolutely love it. Removed the factory sights and installed a skinner peep and brass blade. Action is smooth and, like another poster mentioned, the trigger breaks at a seemingly 4.5 to 5 pounds.

I've had this rifle through two hunting seasons, and countless torrential rain storms common for blacktail hunting in the Oregon coast range, and it shows no signs of rust anywhere.

I will get another one someday and it'll probably be the Axe, when I do.

The most accurate .22 rifle I've ever shot was Henry that belonged to a friend. I tried to get him to sell it to me, he wouldn't. Rather - he was open to it, but his wife put the brakes on that post haste - she used that particular gun for rabbit control on their property. When Mr. Foo Foo hopped into her garden and tried eating her veggies or rose bushes, she'd put one in his brain pan and toss his corpse over the fence for the neighborhood coyotes or cats to eat.

I'd love to have one still - somehow I still haven't managed to get one in the collection, partly because the price of them new was more than I wanted to spend on a .22 - for the longest time I just couldn't get myself to pay more than $200 for a .22 - even a really good one like that Henry, when at the time a brand new Marlin Model 60 cost only $140 or so. The Ruger 10-22 was usually a $180-200 gun depending on finish.

Not just the X model.
They announced side gate models across the line in Nov.
Slow in getting them on the shelves though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top