JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Call me impressed. I picked up one of those AR-7's 4-5yrs back and just recently got around to throwing a little lead with it. More of just an impulse buy back when Cabela's was running a great deal on it... and I took advantage of the 20% off gift cards that where available around that time. It came out to a whopping $170. Obviously, more temptation than I could resist. :D

I'm VERY pleasantly suprised. The sights where about dead on out-of-the-box and really quite an accurate little popper. It took a little adjusting to get used to the offset upper assembly, but actually quite a bit of fun.

I only ran mini-mags through it so can't comment on what it prefers to eat, but it ran 250+ rounds without a single hiccup. Nice little groupings. Cleaning breakdown was extremely simple and all in all... I was much more happy with it than I thought I would be. No regrets!

Anyone else funk around with one and care to share your experience? Tips, suggestions, issues to be aware of?

Last Edited:
I had one for a bit. It's a great "throw in (insert place here) and forget about it" type gun.

Other than that, it's not the best range gun or even hunting gun so I sold it off. The stock is my biggest issue. It's just big, I know it has to be, but I just did not like it. I didn't like having to hold the barrel either.

Mine shot OK-ish, but others do much better. I'd be hesitant to have this over other offerings in a emergency situation. Minute of bad guy, sure. Minute of squirrel in the woods at 25 yards, it sucks! I'd take a 10-22 takedown over this any day.

If you do plan on shooting it more often and not just putting it away like its intended for. I'd recommend getting an extended charging handle. It makes things much easier.

had the Survivor Arm AR7 about 30 years. Was my son's youth gun, now I use it for plinking. For your reference, Just ordered a new rear sight from AR-7 Customized Accessories. They specialize in AR7 parts and are reasonable priced. Compared to Gunpartscorp is double the price. My only gripe is replacement magazines are 40 to 50.00. I cannot get the 25rds mags no more. Years ago, many aftermarket accessories was available to turn this gun into a tactical weapon. Now, not so much. If you do find them, they're very expensive. Not worth putting a lot of money into this gun.

Reno is right. Ruger 10/22 outclass AR7 in many ways.. With the many aftermarker parts to customized 10/22. Overall, 10/22 takedown is the better backpack gun. Put together, lock and loaded, in a few seconds. Compared with AR7 which takes a minute. However, I still use it for plinking.

Reno is right. Ruger 10/22 outclass AR7 in many ways..
I have absolutely no doubt about that. For a $170 3.5lb package... vs... a $450 5lb package though, there are bound to be some major performance discrepancies. It's certainly a niche rifle with a very specific purpose, but it does seem to do itself pretty proud... all things considered.

I have absolutely no doubt about that. For a $170 3.5lb package... vs... a $450 5lb package though, there are bound to be some major performance discrepancies. It's certainly a niche rifle with a very specific purpose, but it does seem to do itself pretty proud... all things considered.
Sealed in its stock the Henry stays cleaner than the other take downs. It does suffer if you don't lube it and won't run as good. It's a great low cost 22lr rifle to stash away but I would buy extra magazines because they could become hard to get.

Sealed in its stock the Henry stays cleaner than the other take downs. It does suffer if you don't lube it and won't run as good. It's a great low cost 22lr rifle to stash away but I would buy extra magazines because they could become hard to get.
Valid points here. It is technically sealed in itself and should be good for years of storage.

I should have just lubed mine good and found a panel in the car that had enough room between it and the frame to stash it.

Henry sells extra mags in two packs.
OUCH!! I bought a 2 pack shortly after buying the rifle (HAD to fill that spare mag open hole in the stock) but remember it being more around 20 bones for them. Funny enough. One of the mags had a slight issue with a retainer so Henry's generously sent me another 2 pack free of charge. Good people!

(Except: I then had to buy a stock elastic mag band to hold the EXTRA 2 mags that wouldn't fit in the stock. :D ) Life is so rough sometimes....

I had one of the originals years ago and used to carry it on my boat. It was OK, but it had a trigger pull of about 10 lbs. I even went so far as to buy the little scope mount. Not serious as a weapon, but better than a sharp pencil. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top