JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do any of you own a Henry single shot .410 bore shotgun?

Do you like it?

Have you read many reviews about this shotgun or shot one of your friend's Henry shotguns?

Blued steel/walnut stock.

H015-410

We have never seen a Henry shotgun in stock at any of our stores until yesterday. My husband saw a NIB one here in town. I think that he said that it was about $379. but don't hold me on that figure. I did not see it in person and he was out looking at firearms and knives.

Thank you.

Cate

I don't, but I own the single shot rifle .357/.38 special. It is fantastic. More fun than it seems like it should be and well built. For that price, it sounds like a deal.

With other brands out there in the $100 range, I'd say pass on the Henry.

Unless you are after something a little nicer, than yes, the Henry single shots are definitely better than the $100 types. Not by much though.

the Henry single shots are definitely better than the $100 types. Not by much though.
If the NEF shotguns are as nice as their rifles (earlier ones) Henry has nothing on them at all but a higher price!

Don't forget about the Winchester Mod 37 - a very nice SS shotgun and kind of a 'sleeper' in the gun world.

I passed on a nice 12 ga a few years ago for a $100 !

I had an NEF 410. It was a newer model (1997?) and that thing was quite nice, accurate enough to pop jack rabbits as long as I did my part.

One thing I distinctly remember is how tight it was

If the NEF shotguns are as nice as their rifles (earlier ones) Henry has nothing on them at all but a higher price!

Don't forget about the Winchester Mod 37 - a very nice SS shotgun and kind of a 'sleeper' in the gun world.

As an owner of an older NEF and a henry single shot rifle, the Henry is a much more refined feeling gun. That is my take. I really like the Henry.

That is definitely untrue, NEF are made by Communists to support Communist repression.. The Henry is made in the USA. That said and everything clarified.... NEF might well be the way to go, the filthy Commies can't be making much. I have some Commie guns and mine function well.

I have not shot the Henry Single shot shotguns...only have seen 'em at one gun shop...
They don't seem to be around at most shops.
They look and feel nice.
I like them and the single shot rifles ...been tempted to get one or the other at times.

With that said an older NEF or H&R "Pardner" or "Topper" can be had for $200 or under where I live and you can use the balance of the cash for ammo.....
I have a late NEF Pardner in 20 gauge...it has a matte finish and laminate wood ...doesn't look the prettiest , but the grouse don't care.

As noted above the Winchester 37 is a sadly overlooked shotgun around here at least.
Pre-64 quality and often a budget price.
I have one in 20 gauge....it shoots and carries very nicely.
Like many older shotguns , this is not rated for steel shot ...so keep that in mind if you find one.
Andy

Thank you for the replies.

We were looking at a very specific style of a NIB shotgun and the New England Firearms Company went out of business. We followed that story on and off.

I do not know any person who owns this type of Henry shotgun around here.

Thanks again.

Cate

Model 37 was slated as a big collector gun a few years ago.
When the popularity of break action singles started to rise a few years ago, I quickly saw them change from a $100 shotgun to a $500 shotgun...especially the red letter guns with the pigtail action release lever.
Are you saying the market has swayed away from them now?

...as for the OP's query, there's a few YT videos that show off the Henery's capabilities.
For the most part, I think Henry makes as good a gun as anyone of any reputation does, but they sure are proud of them, too.
Price you quoted seems a little prohibitive, but I've never handled a Henry either, so I'm trying to not let the price dictate what I think of it.
If you're looking for a break action single, you could get a $99 Walmart gun and with a 10 minute trigger adjustment, have a fairly good gun that will likely last you a lifetime.
I'm sure the Henry is just as good, maybe even a little better, of a gun.

Dean

So WAS NEF.

NEF = New England Firearms in Gardner, Massachusetts - but gone now.
...and before that, Harrington & Richardson was based in Worchester, Massachusettes (I have a model of 1908 that lists a Worchester factory site).
What I;m wondering is whatever happened to all the old manufacturing equipment?
Did it go to Illion with the Remington buyout, or did they leave it in Gardner?
Would be interesting to see whatever happened to all that stuff.

Dean

Thank you for the replies.

We were looking at a very specific style of a NIB shotgun and the New England Firearms Company went out of business. We followed that story on and off.

I do not know any person who owns this type of Henry shotgun around here.

Thanks again.

Cate
Its been almost a month since you made the post I'm quoting.
Just wondering if you went through with buying the gun or not?

Dean

Its been almost a month since you made the post I'm quoting.
Just wondering if you went through with buying the gun or not?

Dean

No, we did not buy the Henry shotgun.

I do not know if we will get one or not.

I am not seeing too much information about how pleased people are with this specific HENRY shotgun mentioned in my original post. I do not know any person who owns one out here.

We have owned several NICE Henry rifles in the past. RF and CF calibers.

My husband still owns 2 Henry rifles in 30-30 and 45-70. He is pleased with them. He kept his Made in CT Marlin 30-30 and 45-70 rifles too. He is pleased with them too.

Cate

I can understand your caution, especially at those prices.
I have a bad feeling, though, the Henry single is going to be one of those cases where, 30 years from now (15-20 years after the gun went out of production), someone's gonna ask about one on a gun forum and all the responses are going to be like "Definate buy! They were pricey but they were the best single shot shotguns anyone ever made!".
Kinda like me, 40 years ago, passing on the Remington 788 in the then-new-chambering of 7mm-08 because (at the time) I thought the gun was cheap junk.
Turns out, they were tack drivers and everyone who bought one swears by them. :(
However, this also sounds like a case of trusting your gut.
If you don't feel good about the purchase, probably best not to do it.
Anyway, good luck and thanks for the update.

Dean

I can understand your caution, especially at those prices.
I have a bad feeling, though, the Henry single is going to be one of those cases where, 30 years from now (15-20 years after the gun went out of production), someone's gonna ask about one on a gun forum and all the responses are going to be like "Definate buy! They were pricey but they were the best single shot shotguns anyone ever made!".
Kinda like me, 40 years ago, passing on the Remington 788 in the then-new-chambering of 7mm-08 because (at the time) I thought the gun was cheap junk.
Turns out, they were tack drivers and everyone who bought one swears by them. :(
However, this also sounds like a case of trusting your gut.
If you don't feel good about the purchase, probably best not to do it.
Anyway, good luck and thanks for the update.

Dean

Thank you.

Cate

I own one in 357 Magnum and the .410, they are both fun and very accurate and if you are the sort of oddball who likes single shot rifles and shotguns then you will like them. The price might seem high but the build quality and the well chosen Walnut are pretty close to perfect and it's a sub $400 gun. The comparisons to H&R and NEF I can see from a capacity to price standpoint but owning all three brands the quality on the Henry offerings is head and tails above the New England and H&R brands. Couple that with the fact that you can only find those used and it's a no brainier. The el cheapo offerings by the Turkish and Chinese manufacturers do work but leave a lot to be desired with feel, fit and finish. My .410 patterns well and ships with the choke. If you like small bore well made guns you will like the Henry, they didn't take shortcuts on these like some of their lever actions.