JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I just traded for a brand new ( as in from a retail store ) , Henry Pump Action Rifle.
Just want to post my thoughts about it and first impressions after zeroing it.

I've always liked pump action .22 rifles...I've owned a few...but ended up traded them off.
So now I have a new one....
Is the Henry in the same league as say a Winchester 62 or a Remington 121...Nope.
And that's okay...As I was not expecting it to be.

I do like the rifle...it looks good and fits me well.
The sights align quickly.
I found the action "stiff" but not near as bad as some online reviews make it out to be.
You do need to be brisk when working the action...but it ain't the chore that some folks state.

The rifle's overall fit and finish were good....no gaps in the wood to metal fit...no fade or weak spots in the bluing.
I do not care for the plastic ( or what seems to be so ) trigger guard....but then it is not , as I said a Winchester 62 rifle.
Some folks are also bothered by the receiver cover...I am not...I take this rifle as it is...and not as replica of a firearm of the past.
The octagonal barrel balanced nicely and makes for a good look.

As far as shooting goes...
I used CCI .22LR Blazer 40 grain ammo....it worked well with my rifle no hang ups what so ever.
After getting the rifle sighted in off a bench , I was able to consistently get nickel sized 5 shot groups , off hand...all at 25 yards. Not bad for 52 year old eyes and open sights.

I do admit that it was a different feeling , thinking that I did not have to load each new shot , from the muzzle...and that I had multiple shots in a *GASP* magazine....
I know...welcome to the 21st century....:D

All in all the Henry is great little rifle...to be taken on its own merits...and no need to compare it to other rifles of the past.
Andy

Last Edited:
You know, Andy, they actually make guns now that you don't have to do anything other than pull the trigger (???!!!!).
It loads itself.....A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, right?!

Ok, sorry, just having a little fun with your post. :p:D

Actually, just wanted to say thanks for posting your impressions of the Henry pump. I've thought about that one a time or two myself.
Do you think the stiffness of the action will subside as you use the gun?

Dean

Too funny Dean.... :D

I do think that the action will "loosen up " a bit...with use.
That said , I had no trouble with it or difficulty in working the action or shooting the rifle "rapidly"...
As in finding the target , aiming , shooting , working the action and quickly shooting again...all while accurately doing so , off hand.

In my experience the action being stiff was a result of simply being a new rifle.
Not a fault of the rifle or a point to be concerned with.
Andy

Congratulations on the rifle pick-up. These type of .22s are just plain fun.

That Blazer 40 gr .22 cal ammo is my favorite to use in all my .22s. It cycles well in new or old rifles and is just plain reliable.

Thanks ARFrog.
It sure seems like a fun rifle ....looking forward to more shooting with it....at different distances and targets.

I too have always had good results with Blazer .22LR in rifle new and old...even taken a grouse or two with it.
Andy

Love a good pump action 22. Used to have a couple. Need to invest in another for the fun factor. Having shot Henry's myself I can insure you that it will break in and be smooth as butter after a few bricks. The new ones, by any manufacturer, are usually stiff to pump. The true test will be to cycle shorts. If it can do that, and well, it's a keeper.

Glad you are enjoying a (sort of) auto loader Andy. May it give you lots of enjoyment plinking!

Also!!!

:s0122:

So, not stated but I'm assuming this is a 2021 rifle or at least new from store purchase. Where did you find this and what kind of price range?

Pump actions are always fun, never had a 22LR but always wanted one.

Speaking of odd action and caliber combo... I've always wanted to see a lever action shot gun in action and hear people's first hand review.

So, not stated but I'm assuming this is a 2021 rifle or at least new from store purchase. Where did you find this and what kind of price range?

Speaking of odd action and caliber combo... I've always wanted to see a lever action shot gun in action and hear people's first hand review.
It was a new rifle from the gun store...I got it from the Greene's Gun Shop in Oak Harbor Wa.

As far as the price range...I' m not sure...
I know my shotgun that traded , was worth between $400 - $600 as well as being in excellent shape.
Also the shotgun , would probably "move" faster for the shop than the Henry Pump ....
The Henry Lever Action Rifles are more popular.

Henry makes a .410 lever action shotgun and there is a company "Black Aces" that make 12 and 20 gauge lever action shotguns...some even with wood stocks.
Andy

Interesting coincidence; as you were posting this, I was in the process of picking up a Black Aces Tactical lever 12 gauge. I'll post my thoughts once I've had a chance to make it go boom.

20210731_122125.jpg

@Andy54Hawken still enamored with your new Henry pump? I've wondered about the newer models being offered these days. Rossi offers a rather space gun looking 22 pump also. I'm slamming a Remmy 121, with authority....
Yes I am ...it shoots and carries well.
I will take it grouse hunting this season for sure.
A Remington 121 is a wonderful rifle...would love to own one someday.
Andy

I go through 22's like Esmarelda went through shoes. I can shoot a 10\22, a Stevens Favorite, a Ruger Rimfire Precision, a BSA Martini or a Marlin 39a and be equally happy with all.

Congrats on your new rifle!

This was a good and interesting review. Thank you.

I have only owned 1 falling block, several lever actions and a couple of bolt actions in 22lr and in 22wmr. (NOT counting former CF handguns and rifles.)

I have never owned and I have never shot a pump action 22lr rifle.

Good shooting to you.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews