Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Henry Mare's Leg rifle...what do you think??

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Dennis316, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Dennis316

Dennis316 Seattle Member

2. Kennedy

Kennedy Beaverton Member

Where did you see it for under 300? That site has it for 950..

3. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I've been waiting for the Rossi Ranch Hand (in .357 for the cheapest ammo), I don't think it will be REAL useful, more of a plinker. .357 ain't cheap, I might have to check into a .22lr version of this.

4. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

I think he is after the .22 version not the .45

5. cyclesarge

Looks like the .22 will be $306.94 including BGC through Davidsons. For some reason it is listed as a rifle, which is why I haven't seen it in my daily search of the Davidson's site(I do a search for "Lever Action Pistols").

6. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

The gun shop in Newberg has one. I think they were asking $800 for it.

7. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Not for that price. I don't see any reason for that other than to grow a collection and I'm all for it, but I wouldn't buy one at that price, or any really. Unless I was on horseback.
    Just don't see if being good for anything, unless you got the .45 and used it for a pack gun.

8. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy between springfield and shelbyville Well-Known Member

I want to buy one just so that I could reenact my favorite scenes from Zombieland with unparalleled realism.

9. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I think one's nearly worthless. If you put a butt stock on it (which isn't legal, I Know) there may be some usefulness to it. In fact, Winchester used to sell guns like that. Lever action rifles with very short barrels.

I saw one the other day in Molalla at Wild Bills. Looked cool, for sure. But doesn't look like it could be shot with any kind of grip/stance that would resemble pistol shooting. I believe that you would hold it like a rifle and wouldn't have a stock to put up against your shoulder.

But then, I think that the idea of an AR15 pistol is stoopid too, so who am I to listen to?:laugh:

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  10. speelyei

speelyei Willamette Valley Active Member

I have always thought they look like something a criminal would carry. A criminal with no understanding of firearms who got one of the most common rifles in the US and chopped it up with a hacksaw, ruining it.

11. CavVet

CavVet Seattle Member

I think they look just as different and cool as they did when Steve McQueen carried one 50 years ago...

I also think you may get a little better ballistic on some of those loads with a 12" barrel.

I think one would look great in my safe.

12. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

They need to do a Firefly / Serenity version... :)

zoe.jpg

13. Ethereal

Ethereal Kent, WA Member

Well if I had to chose between a Henry and a Rossi, I'd be glad to have a Henry. The price point looks kinda tough unless you got the .22lr version, but a bigbore would be sweet.

14. Wheeler44

Wheeler44 SW Washington Member

Internet rumor is; This style of firearm was created to circumvent laws designed to remove the citizens right to carry a pistol. This type could be carried as it is a "rifle"

15. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I dont understand what you mean. These guns are Pistols by definition and are sold and carried as such. To buy one you follow the rules of buying a pistol. To carry they are considered pistols.

What do you mean "This type could be carried as it is a "rifle"?

16. Wheeler44

The earlier versions were not manufactured as handguns. (Remember that definitions and meanings changed, regarding firearms, in 1934) and as such were what we would call an SBR (short barreled rifle) back then they were just rifles. Larger cities banned the carrying of handguns. Thus the first SBRs were a way to circumvent the first "gun control" laws.

Similar laws passed in the South banned carrying of handguns not designated "saddle pistols", those laws are still on the books. Last year a fella tried to push that envelope by "open carrying" a large framed black powder handgun.

17. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Makes much more sense. I thought you were talking about the recent "reintroduction" of these style of guns or recent laws. Thank you.

18. cyclesarge

This is a confusing statement. The origination of the ranch hand is in history, I don't think there is any "Internet rumor" about it, unless you're talking about the recent revival of the "mare's leg". Referring to the history of the Mare's leg your last sentence should read "This type could be carried as it WAS a "rifle"". Not meaning to be a language police or anything. I now understand what you were trying to say but your original post said something completely different.

19. Wheeler44

Cyclesarge...yeah..I said it is a rifle...not is was a rifle...I suppose it could be confusing out of context. For a fella back then his defense was "It is a rifle"....

I wish that we didn't have to change definitions to meet some lawmakers attempts to "control" firearms...

Thanks for clearin' things up

W44

20. bow503

bow503 where it rains most the time Active Member

O baby...