JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which would you choose?

• Steel with round barrel

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Brass with octogon barrel

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Side Gate in brass

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Color Case Hardened

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • All Weather

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Choose whatever you like best!

The brass & wood will be equally effective both on the range or in the field with a little care. Heck we have been using blued and wood to hunt with for how many years now?

HOWEVER - while I am a Henry owner (.357) and while the tube feed has an advantage over a side gate with shorter, pistol ammo, a side gate is advantageous with the longer, rifle caliber ammo.

SO - if you want a .30-30 Henry with a sidegate the ONLY option is the brass model - as the steel models do NOT have a side gate version (except in the X model .45-70) and I have no idea why not.

Opinions and experiences may vary and I have heard a lot of dissatisfaction with the tube feed in RIFLE calibers. There has also been dissatisfaction expressed about the tube feed for pistol caliber calibers but for different reasons - one of which I have previously posted on and found a simple way to 'fix' it - and hopefully saving many the hassle of sending their rifle back or waiting for a new inner tube to be sent - only to have the same problem.

Last Edited:
RVTech says it the best.
Get what YOU want.
This is a present to YOU. You're rewarding yourself for a job well done...why make compromises?
That being stated, I chose the all-weather version in your poll, because I saw it as a hunting arm and considering how wet it gets around here during deer hunting season, it only makes the best sense.
...however....
This is a present for YOU. Get the one that YOU want, ATCclears.

My MT husband had the HENRY 30-30 rifle and it was this one:

H 009

H009
Action Type
Lever Action
Caliber
.30-30
Capacity
5 Rounds
M.S.R. Price
$922.00
Additional Specifications
Barrel Length
20"
Barrel Type
Round Blued Steel
Rate of Twist
1:12
Overall Length
39"
Weight
7.00 lbs.
Receiver Finish
Blued Steel
Rear Sight
Fully Adj. Semi-Buckhorn w/ Diamond Insert
Front Sight
Brass Bead
Scopeability
Drilled and Tapped
Scope Mount Type
Weaver 63B
Stock Material
American Walnut
Buttplate/Pad
Black Solid Rubber Recoil Pad
Length of Pull
14"
Safety
Transfer Bar
Best Uses
Target/Hunting/Large Game, Deer, Elk best at up to 125 yards
Embellishments/Extras
Swivel Studs

It had the ROUND blued steel barrel.

It was a very nice rifle and a tack driver.

He had a HENRY in a 45-70, in a 357Magnum (Big Boy Classic.) and I had several 22lr and one 22wmr HENRY rifles in the past too.

ALL of them were SWEET shooters, smooth, tack drivers, etc.

We did not have any issues with them or our other firearms.

I have read/heard that some people have had some issues with some Henry rifles (Recalled ones.) but we did not have any of those issues.

Right now, my MT husband is down to 2 Made in CT Marlin lever action rifles. One in 30-30 (336SS = walnut/stainless steel) and one in 45-70 (Classic 1895 (?) walnut/blued one).

Those 2 rifles above are his ONLY lever action rifles in his smaller collection now.

He has owned, ENJOYED, hunted and plinked, sold and gifted MANY beautiful, sweet and tack driving lever action rifles (CF and RF) over the years in several brands - mainly in the Made in CT Marlin, Winchester, Browning, Henry, etc. brands. I owned several in a few brands (CT Marlin, Winchester, Browning and Henry.) but not as many as he did.

I believe but I am NOT positive now without looking them all up that the HENRY 30-30 that he previously owned was heavier than his CT made MARLIN 30-30 rifles in 336SS (One.) and other ones in 336C (Walnut/blued.). The HENRY 30-30 felt heavier to me than the CT made 2 Marlin Golden 39A rifles that we owned too. It may (?) have been heavier than his former CT made Marlin Guide Gun (Stainless steel.) in 45-70 too.

TUBE feeding (CF and RF rifles.) did not bother me and it was easier to LOAD due to my bad hands/fingers. My MT husband was not 'bothered' by tube feeding as many shooters COMPLAIN about but he was used to a loading gate more in specific CF rifles!

Best wishes to you!

Old Lady Cate

I voted for the case hardened model....but pick whichever one you like the best...
Or get the case hardened model for me as a Christmas present....:D
Andy

I LOVE the looks of color case hardened firearms in MANY brands. Rifles and s/a revolvers! It depends on how well it is done.

I have never seen one in person when it comes to a Henry rifle yet.

When my MT husband got his HENRY 30-30 rifle, they only came in 2 styles, models and looks.

We were USING UP credits - full in store credits instead of taking money/cash for some of our firearm SALES that we sold up in Ronan. The store that is now closed due to the owner retiring.

The man who bought his HENRY 45-70 wanted to buy his HENRY 30-30 but he could not afford to buy 2 of them at the same time. And the 30-30 sold after that. They sold to the first LOOKER or man who saw them too. Same as with some of our other guns in the past too.

Take care.

Cate

Ah, decisions, decisions... I'll have to ponder this a tad more now.

Henry just announced a ton of new rifle variants with the Sidegate. From the email for the .30-30 caliber (prices are MSRP):

H00G/619835090089Steel Lever Action .30-30 Side Gate$941.00
H009GAW/619835090096All-Weather Lever Action .30-30 Side Gate$1,108.00
H009GCC/619835090102Color Case Hardened Lever Action .30-30 Side Gate$1,108.00
H009GL/619835090119Steel Lever Action .30-30 Side Gate Large Loop$955.00
H009GWL/619835090126Steel Wildlife Edition .30-30 Side Gate$1,572.00

The all weather one they just released would be my choice for these regions.

1606240946350.jpeg

I take my Brass BB out shooting often, and would hunt with it as well - I actually have already but just for varmints and such.

When I bought mine I did not have an option as the steel versions were not out yet and I don't know if I would have gone with the steel If I even had the choice, however if it would have been between the brass and a CCH with octagon barrel - then I would have gone with that.

IMG_0727.JPG

@DeanMk I like the brass but I think it would become a safe queen.
That was my fear as well, but I was looking at it as a presentation piece, more than a shooter/hunter...because you said you were rewarding yourself....so it might be ok to hang it on a wall, looking at it that way....but hey, its your reward. Get what you want. I just mentioned it because it is a nice piece.

Dean

I have a Henry 22 and we love the heck out of it. I originally bought it for Mom's birthday 15yrs ago. (Wow! Time's flown:eek:)

Not to dissuade the OP, but if it was me, I think I'd put those $$ toward an older Winchester or Marlin 30-30.

This strikes my fancy.

@orygun I have the Marlin 336C in .30-30, bought it in 2012, put peep sights on it. It's been solid. ::)

The Henry is not a need but a want. My side business (a software company to help IT organizations manage their 'mess') is starting to do well so the rifle is a treat to me.

It would also provide a second rifle in the .30-30 caliber if things ever went Tango Uniform...

@ATCclears , I'd hope any of the gun needs are already taken care of. The "wants" are always the funnest. Like mentioned I think pretty highly of Henry, but I'm a sucker for the old stuff.
Hope it all pans out for you and you do get yourself a new treat.

Right now I'm car shopping. I don't need it, but I've been wanting one for a long time. I understand that "need". :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top