Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Henry firearms knocked out by Sandy

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by BEN LILLY, Oct 30, 2012.

1. BEN LILLY

BEN LILLY Lincoln City, OR NRA LIFE MEMBER Bronze Supporter

Got this from the people at Henry firearms.

Dear Valued Henry Customers,

Hurricane Sandy has caused significant damage to the Henry Repeating Arms plant in Bayonne New Jersey. We do not have any electricity, nor do we have any telephone or email service. We are hoping that we will once again be operational by the week of November 12th. In the meantime, we ask that you refrain from attempting to contact us. Also please refrain from shipping any firearms to us until we send a followup email confirming that we are once again operational. If you are a Henry vendor, please do not ship any parts to us until we confirm we are operational.

Rest assured, we will be back building our rifles again as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience, understanding and loyalty.

And if you were affected by the storm, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sincerely,

2. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

And this was in an e-mail?

3. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Perhaps a bit off topic, and I do apologize to the OP for that, but why has the firearms industry not vacated the decidedly gun unfriendly Atlantic seaboard? Henry in NJ, several in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York. Colt, Marlin, Remington, S&W, H&R, etc. all seem to be in that area. Why haven't they relocated to a more friendly (and non-hurricane prone) area?

4. JDemdstr5

JDemdstr5 Issaquah New Member

With today's technology, you could check in on facebook from mariana's trench. Guys probably had to get the word out somehow to protect their reputation.

5. BillyDa59

BillyDa59 King County, WA Member

Perhaps the company owners see it as a heritage thing. I'm sure its not too difficult for them to run their facilities there. It'd probably be more of a hassle to move across the country, although that's definitely arguable, given the hurricane issue.

6. jakk586

jakk586 Astoria, Or Active Member

Perhaps the larger manufacturers are a bit entrenched. Have a lot of capital invested in people and equipment that would make a move more costly than prudent. Smaller companies don't have that problem. As evidenced by Les Baers move from Illinois to Le Claire, Iowa.

Also very large companies, instead of moving, may open a new facility in a more business friendly state. Like Rugers move into Arizona.

7. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

I would think that if they were getting too much grief where they were they would eventually decide to move. People have a harder time blindly pressing an emotional agenda when you actually employ a bunch of people and pay taxes.

8. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Tradition has a lot to do with it, it's called Gun Valley for a reason. Plus, exporting $34M worth of firearms might not be as easy from say, Montana, as it is New York.

9. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

The reason they don't up and move is relocating is extremely expensive. Most of these states have fairly liberal exemptions for firearm manufacturers (even if they are not 2A friendly) and until the state does something really stupid (like the micro stamping thing and NYS) what they have to put up with is less than the hassel of a full blown relocation.

NYS has been put on notice,,,if they make microstamping law, Remington is leaving NYS. Ilion NY will roll up the streets and cease to exist if Remington leaves.

You may notice, there are no NEW firearms manufacturing sites going into those states (except maybe Kimber...not sure if they purchased an existing facility or not)

10. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

That part of the country has machining talent like the west coast has HiTech and SW talent. But don't put it past any company to make a move. Mine is pulling up our division and rolling it into their NY Facility Thanks to Obama's Medical device tax.

11. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

The larger problem in the New England area is the wage levels and Unions. Winchester finally gave up and just filed bankruptcy since they could not get costs in line with the market. Labor costs and RE taxes and other local taxes and fees are very high in those states also. Add to that the constant battle with the liberal anti-gun political folks that they have to deal with and you have a very difficult position to run a company in. So I look for them all to form subsidiary factories in more gun friendly states and set up to move production at some point. CNC talent can be found in any state and they can and will move their key people with them. They may keep their corp headquarters there but manufacturing will have to move or they will end up going offshore as Winchester has with its lever rifles now being produced in Japan and model 70 at the FN plant. Of course the Winchester name was sold off to the highest bidder who then promptly dumped the Union worker bees.

It will be interesting to see who the next one is to make a change. I believe Remington has been looking at locations in Florida.

12. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

Remington already has a facility in FL. It would only have to be expanded...what I don't understand is why they don't relocate to someplace like Idaho...If you are going to the expense to move the factory, I would look hard at Idaho if I was running the company...