JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This rails and threaded barrel schit has gone too far. I've had it. I will NEVER own anything with threads. I'm half tempted to dremel off all the flash suppressors off my ARs and M1A just to NOT have anything threaded. Hell, I may cut the end off the garden hose too, it has threads.
That made me LOL... something I do often but rarely put in writing.

Off topic: I want a Walther Q4 TAC because of the RMR cut.
Hey, Walther, can I get one WITHOUT the threaded barrel?
Walther: Nope.
If I wanted a threaded barrel, really.... I would ask for one.

Back on topic: It took some clamoring from the herd and even some aftermarket companies to step up, but eventually Mossberg saw the err of their ways (and also some lost $$) and started putting woodness on their Shockwaves. I have one (also a woodie 500) and it's CAF.

Synthetic stocks are pretty gross in most cases, but I get the why they do it.

This rails and threaded barrel schit has gone too far. I've had it. I will NEVER own anything with threads. I'm half tempted to dremel off all the flash suppressors off my ARs and M1A just to NOT have anything threaded. Hell, I may cut the end off the garden hose too, it has threads.

Whereas I would thread everything to suppress it. This is kinda on my wish list.

Last Edited:
I got an email back from Henry.

Attachment says it all....apparently no wood planed for the future, and yes they are all (big boy X) threaded 5/8-24

268BD367-640B-4FD7-B6D6-756046AED967.jpeg

I DIG IT!
The thought of a well made "Modern" .45/70 that can take the rough and tumble life of a woods gun, AND it's threaded ticks ALL the Boxes for me! I could do with out the rails, but that's a tiny little detail and not a deal breaker!
Me thinks this may be a winner, and certainly worthy of a closer looky! :D

Step in the right direction, but missed the mark
Possibly.
Henry has introduced some very good products - along with some not so good - probably no different than any other company.
Personally I think a traditional wood/blued (or CCH) side loader in a pistol caliber would outsell a poly style by 'many' to one - at least that seems the case by the responses not only on this forum but others as well.

Last Edited:
I just fired off an email to ask if the actions have been modded to feed heavy for caliber bullets now that the twist rates are appropriate for them. Specifically above 260gr in 45 colt and 280 gr and up in 44 mag. In the past their actions would not feed these heavies without some smithing work. I also asked if wood furniture was forthcoming on the threaded and side gated models.
Here are the responses I got back

Thank you for your interest in Henry rifles.

The X model actions have not been modified to accept larger than 260 grain bullets.

Due to the nature of the lever-action mechanism, the .44 Mag and .45 Colt Big Boy rifles (including H012-series X-models) still must use the same ammunition as previously, regardless of the twist rate. They can use any reputable, good-quality brands of factory standard or +P loads which have standard profile bullets (lead or semi-jacketed round-nose, semi-jacketed or jacketed flat-nose and hollow-point) up to a maximum projectile weight of 260-grains.

At this time there is no plan for wood furniture for the X models.

Well I don't think I will be purchasing one in a pistol caliber in light of this response. I could probably get over the lack of wood furniture but why make them in fast twist rates and threaded for suppressor if the action won't handle the heavies. I might still consider the 45/70 though :cool:

My thoughts on lever actions are that you should either modernize them fully, for function, or leave them alone for aesthetics.

As a matter of taste, mixing old and new doesn't do it for me. I love old guns, but if you're going to doll them up with rails, threads, and plastic, why not upgrade the mechanical function as well? There had to be a more practical feed mechanism than the old awkward loading gate and a tube magazine. I like lever actions but I've always hated cramming rounds through the side gate. I understand the practicality of a tube magazine, especially for short and fat pistol caliber rounds, and that the side loading gate has been a proven design for a century and a half, but if you really want to modernize it, why not go all the way and come up with something better?

Here are the responses I got back

Thank you for your interest in Henry rifles.

The X model actions have not been modified to accept larger than 260 grain bullets.

Due to the nature of the lever-action mechanism, the .44 Mag and .45 Colt Big Boy rifles (including H012-series X-models) still must use the same ammunition as previously, regardless of the twist rate. They can use any reputable, good-quality brands of factory standard or +P loads which have standard profile bullets (lead or semi-jacketed round-nose, semi-jacketed or jacketed flat-nose and hollow-point) up to a maximum projectile weight of 260-grains.

At this time there is no plan for wood furniture for the X models.

Well I don't think I will be purchasing one in a pistol caliber in light of this response. I could probably get over the lack of wood furniture but why make them in fast twist rates and threaded for suppressor if the action won't handle the heavies. I might still consider the 45/70 though :cool:

Wait will the 45-70 with a 1:20 twist take a heavy bullet over 260gr or what will it handle?

Thanks

Henry's 45/70 offerings have always had the proper twist to stabilize heavy bullets (1/20). I briefly had one but never shot it. I did however cycle a dummy round with a 500 gr wfn bullet through it and it seemed to handle it fine. The big boy steel x models in the pistol calibers should also be fine for the heavies (above 260gr) as long as you can come up with a recipe that allows you to seat the heavy bullet deeper into the case. So subsonic loads with heavy bullets are probably possible but driving heavy bullets fast is probably out of the question.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top