JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Update:
Squib load. Will go to Henry when the funds are available. $135 to have re-barreled with return postage.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Went out shooting today to dial in a Burris FastFire II on my Henry and I took a few shots and noticed the barrel didn't look right. I've always noticed a little hiccup on the exterior and it never bothered me. Though today I decided to take a closer look while at the range. I was shooting cast lead out of .357 cases using a weak powder.

I noticed this: (yellow light ones are at the range)- white light one is at home after I ran a boresnake through it.
Photo May 25, 9 35 09 AM.jpg Photo May 25, 9 36 10 AM.jpg Photo May 25, 9 36 25 AM.jpg Photo May 25, 12 25 00 PM.jpg

Camera doesn't pick it up well but it appears that I'm missing part of my rifling in a perfect circle, like maybe 1/8" of it is just... GONE, barrel appears to be .001" or less bulged. I've never had any stuck rounds jams etc.

Going to get ahold of Henry tomorrow and see what they think.

Last Edited:
I would guess that there was an inclusion in the steel when the barrel was formed. If so I would NOT shoot it any more and return it to Henry for a new barrel. Without knowing the size and shape of the inclusion there is no way to know how much the barrel has been weakened.
There are others here with much more experience with metal than I that might shed more light on the subject. Iron Monster??

I would guess that there was an inclusion in the steel when the barrel was formed. If so I would NOT shoot it any more and return it to Henry for a new barrel. Without knowing the size and shape of the inclusion there is no way to know how much the barrel has been weakened.
There are others here with much more experience with metal than I that might shed more light on the subject. Iron Monster??

I was thinking that if there happened to be forging of metals that there could be a crack and finally it gave way.... I quit shooting it after I discovered this.

Call the service dept at Henry and see if they will help you out.

They have been notified.

Don't fire another round thru it! Call Henry and they will issue you a RA number and will send you a box and prepaid label!

Was the rifle new when you received it?

I quit shooting when I realized there was an issue. Already started the contact with Henry. They were good last time it had to go in for repairs. That time it was the spring in the feeding tube that was too strong.

Rifle was new when I got it. Fathers day 2014.

Let us know how it goes, you've already experienced their service before, and have no reason to doubt anything else.

How could it be a squib load if there was never a squib load? kinda confusing

I don't delete my mistakes. The squib is the only solution. I've ruled out everything else that it possibly could be.

I believe I was mistaken that day when I thought every round hit the target.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top