1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Henry .22 sighting problems

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by bogeycentral, Mar 16, 2010.

1. bogeycentral

bogeycentral Central Oregon Member

First off this looks like a great forum and was referred to it by a friend. Been browsing the BST section and looks there is some good information here. I have always wanted an older lever action .22 and came across a good deal on an old Henry. Put a Simmons 22-Mag 3-9x32 rimfire scope on it and took it out to go sight it on. I got it sighted for left and right deviance, but noticed that elevation was severely off. At 20 yards with the elevation turned up as high as it can go I am nearly shooting 6 inches low of my target. I am using the rings that came with the scope at the moment. What would cause this to be shooting so low? A friend and member here mentioned to go with some 20MOA scope rings. I have no clue what this means though. Any help would be much appreciated !!

2. freddyboomboom

freddyboomboom Hillsboro Member

If the bases of the rings are the same size (thickness between the bottom of the base to the bottom of the ring opening) and you are mounting it on a tapered barrel, then the scope will not be parallel to the bore of the barrel.

If they are not the same size, and you are mounting it on a flat receiver, then again the scope will not be parallel to the bore of the rifle.

When I had a similar issue with a used rifle years ago, I simply got another scope ring base that matched what I needed. You could also attempt to shim the smaller one, if that is what you need.

It kinda depends on the rings, and where you are mounting them on the rifle.