JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at Cabela's Gun Library yesterday in Lacey and witnessed and interesting problem with a Henry 22 lever action rifle.

Customer purchased it recently and could not get a round to chamber. Brought it back to Cabela's to trade for a working gun. The gun library staff tried to run some snap caps through it and could not get a single round to chamber.

They pulled another new gun out of inventory for the customer and tested it first. It would not chamber a round either. They ended up refund the customer.

FYI for anyone that has purchased one of these recently and has yet to shoot it. I had thought that all Henry's were test fired at the factory?

A true disappointment for me to hear, as I had reserved judgment on the guns. Seemed like they were appealing to a vacant marketing niche.

However: it cannot be ignored that the guns are economically made and sold. Not a detriment on philosophy, but in the long run, quality and precision will show to suffer (with a VERY few exceptions: enter Remington M788).

The test will be in the warranty, and so far, I have heard nothing to question that. I also eagerly await their public presentation of their "true" Henry rifle reproduction.

Were they running the snapcap through the magazine or dropping it in the chamber and trying to close the bolt? I don't remember, but I think that's not a gun you're supposed to single load. The extractor was probably not able to slip around the rim of the cartridge.

First I've heard of issues with a Henry as well. I would call the factory. They have a good customer service record (or so I understand). I have a Henry Big Boy in 44 mag and love it. Chambers everything I can feed it and goes bang when I pull the trigger. :0)

My Henry runs pretty good. Occasionally it will fail-to-feed if the last round is a .22 short. (I'll use .22 short to let me know by sound that I've shot the last round.) I attribute that issue to uneven pressure applied by the little orange plastic 'loading plunger'...maybe mine is too strong or too weak? Other than that its a great rifle, accurate, well-finished and fun to shoot. It has never misfed a .22LR. One day I might strip off the receiver paint and make a 'silverboy'.

The overwhelming majority of folks over on Rimfirecentral that has ever had an issue with their Henry has been satisfied with the company's customer service.

Keith

I was at Cabela's Gun Library yesterday in Lacey and witnessed and interesting problem with a Henry 22 lever action rifle.

Customer purchased it recently and could not get a round to chamber. Brought it back to Cabela's to trade for a working gun. The gun library staff tried to run some snap caps through it and could not get a single round to chamber.

They pulled another new gun out of inventory for the customer and tested it first. It would not chamber a round either. They ended up refund the customer.

FYI for anyone that has purchased one of these recently and has yet to shoot it. I had thought that all Henry's were test fired at the factory?
Ammo was loaded via the magazine.

I just bought an H001 and had about 8 rounds out of 100 not chamber. Sounds from other posts here I should call cust service. Don't want to think about sending the firearm to NJ!! I am 73 and havent owned a gun in almost 45 years. Thought I was buying a reliable factory tested rifle. Good news I bought at Walmart and got almost $100 off in employee discounts.

Don't want to think about sending the firearm to NJ!!
I wouldn't want to either but in some cases (hopefully not yours) this seems to be becoming more common with Henry rifles - but more so with the centerfire than rimfire which have typically have few reported problems.
I would start with with a good disassembly and cleaning - heck you may find something simple to be causing the problem and get it resolved.
I am a member of the Henry Forum and read about a LOT of problems - and some justifiably need to be sent back to the factory - and some not.
You might consider joining the Henry forum for some assistance with customer service if all else fails and you do have to send it back.

I just bought an H001 and had about 8 rounds out of 100 not chamber. Sounds from other posts here I should call cust service. Don't want to think about sending the firearm to NJ!! I am 73 and havent owned a gun in almost 45 years. Thought I was buying a reliable factory tested rifle. Good news I bought at Walmart and got almost $100 off in employee discounts.

I'm sure it will break in for you.
Beings this thread is 5 years old I don't think this is a real common problem.
Mine shoots everything I put in it and it is only a year old.
Maybe polish the feed ramp a bit.

I wouldn't want to either but in some cases (hopefully not yours) this seems to be becoming more common with Henry rifles - but more so with the centerfire than rimfire which have typically have few reported problems.
I would start with with a good disassembly and cleaning - heck you may find something simple to be causing the problem and get it resolved.
I am a member of the Henry Forum and read about a LOT of problems - and some justifiably need to be sent back to the factory - and some not.
You might consider joining the Henry forum for some assistance with customer service if all else fails and you do have to send it back.

If you don't mind evets47 I would like to share your post about your Rifle issue on the Henry forum.
There is currently an active discussion regarding the increasing number of problems being reported with what seems to be unusually high amounts of them being sent back for repair, replacement or refund.
Will this be ok?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads