Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Henry 22 Lever Action Rifle Problem

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by kanuist, Jan 19, 2014.

1. kanuist

kanuist SW Washington Member

I was at Cabela's Gun Library yesterday in Lacey and witnessed and interesting problem with a Henry 22 lever action rifle.

Customer purchased it recently and could not get a round to chamber. Brought it back to Cabela's to trade for a working gun. The gun library staff tried to run some snap caps through it and could not get a single round to chamber.

They pulled another new gun out of inventory for the customer and tested it first. It would not chamber a round either. They ended up refund the customer.

FYI for anyone that has purchased one of these recently and has yet to shoot it. I had thought that all Henry's were test fired at the factory?

2. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

A true disappointment for me to hear, as I had reserved judgment on the guns. Seemed like they were appealing to a vacant marketing niche.

However: it cannot be ignored that the guns are economically made and sold. Not a detriment on philosophy, but in the long run, quality and precision will show to suffer (with a VERY few exceptions: enter Remington M788).

The test will be in the warranty, and so far, I have heard nothing to question that. I also eagerly await their public presentation of their "true" Henry rifle reproduction.

3. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Were they running the snapcap through the magazine or dropping it in the chamber and trying to close the bolt? I don't remember, but I think that's not a gun you're supposed to single load. The extractor was probably not able to slip around the rim of the cartridge.

bellarum and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

WOW my son has a Henry H001T and its worked perfectly from day one. First thing to do with any new gun is to break it down and clean it.

5. RMD

RMD Keizer, Or Member

I have 2. One for each of my boys. We have not had any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. kanuist

kanuist SW Washington Member

Ammo was loaded via the magazine.

7. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

Mine (or really, my son's) runs flawlessly. We're over 2,000 rounds through it, no problems other than getting used to the buckhorn sights.

8. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Beaverton, OR Chief Cook/Bottle Washer

First I've heard of issues with a Henry as well. I would call the factory. They have a good customer service record (or so I understand). I have a Henry Big Boy in 44 mag and love it. Chambers everything I can feed it and goes bang when I pull the trigger. :0)

BVB and (deleted member) like this.
  9. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I'll bet .22 gun sales in general are at an all time low right now.

10. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

My Henry runs pretty good. Occasionally it will fail-to-feed if the last round is a .22 short. (I'll use .22 short to let me know by sound that I've shot the last round.) I attribute that issue to uneven pressure applied by the little orange plastic 'loading plunger'...maybe mine is too strong or too weak? Other than that its a great rifle, accurate, well-finished and fun to shoot. It has never misfed a .22LR. One day I might strip off the receiver paint and make a 'silverboy'.

The overwhelming majority of folks over on Rimfirecentral that has ever had an issue with their Henry has been satisfied with the company's customer service.

Keith

11. moparr1963

moparr1963 North Plains Member

I have a Golden Boy 22 magnum and works great even with some old cci magnums I had that were about 20 years old.

12. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

The H001 that I had bought at Bi-Mart a couple of years ago worked great. I'll probably get another at some point.