JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So this sucks at Christmas, my rather intelligent dog has been sick for sometime and he was given 3 - 6 weeks to live a while ago. He has been with me for 3 months since we got this news.

He is now coming to the end, and I'm pretty sure he knows that we'll be saying goodbye the next time we go to the vet. So I'd like for him to pass on at home, and I'll probably try and do it while he's sleeping on my lap.

Would a 22LR be enough to dispatch him, or should I use a 380? He's is an medium size mix breed his head is about the size of a beagle's head.

I would go with the vet way. It is a painless and humane way. I have often thought about your question, but have always opted for the vet.

And I am sorry, I forgot, I am sorry for your loss.... A pet is a part of the family here, and is never easy.

I'm really sorry to hear, we lost ours a while back and I'm still not ready to replace him. I'd also go the vet route. I couldn't imagine seeing my dog with a bullet in his head when I'm already hurting. Much better to hold him while he goes to sleep.

Do you have other dogs?

If so, you might bring them with to the vet - they seem to understand about death. They don't understand when one of the pack disappears.
We did this when one of our family dogs had come to the end.

Sorry for your loss.

So this sucks at Christmas, my rather intelligent dog has been sick for sometime and he was given 3 - 6 weeks to live a while ago. He has been with me for 3 months since we got this news.

He is now coming to the end, and I'm pretty sure he knows that we'll be saying goodbye the next time we go to the vet. So I'd like for him to pass on at home, and I'll probably try and do it while he's sleeping on my lap.

Would a 22LR be enough to dispatch him, or should I use a 380? He's is an medium size mix breed his head is about the size of a beagle's head.
Sorry to hear...

I've had to put down a number of horses over the years. Just had to put a stallion down last month that got sick and I couldn't turn him around. Knowing where to put the bullet (.45), it's instant and painless. It's tough. But when they start to suffer you've gotta suck it up and take care of business.
RIP Toby Juan Kanoby.

Toby1%20w.JPG

I couldn't do it to my dog though.
Heard a great radio program yrs ago from a vet. Said you've been together for years and gone through so much together. So you also have to be there when the vet injects it as it drifts asleep a few minutes later (5-10mins IIRC). It was gentle and painless, just drifted off. It's tough.

Sh!t there I go again... it's still tough-and that was 18yrs ago.
RIP Smokie Dawg.

SmokieSnowface.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry for the decision you have to make , never easy....deepest condolences.

I have stopped plenty of heartbeats but if it were me I would just go ahead and do the vet.......

My dad once had the vet come to the house for an injection with his long time dog

I am sorry to hear that. Having been through this myself, please do consider using a vet, just to be certain there is no unnecessary suffering. I know some vets, including the one for our last dog, did offer the service to put them to sleep at home. I think that would be the best and most compassionate option. Just my 2 cents.

I have a friend that has dispatched a couple of his dogs humanely with a .22. He gives the dog a steak, and while the dog's head is down eating, he does the deed.
He says the last thing the dog has on his mind is finally getting his dream meal.

I don't know if I could do it, but it works for him.
I'm sorry for your loss Cherpy. Here's hoping for happier holidays in the future.

Sorry for your soon to be loss.
For lack of a better word, it sucks.
The vet is the most humane way.
They're just there and then there not.
No more pain and suffering.
They will probably pick up on and share your turmoil doing it yourself will cause.

sorry to hear it man. my close friends and i usually do it this way: if its his dog he'll dig the hole and say good bye then leave and i'll shoot him with a 22lr and bury him. its hard to do it yourself but whatever you feel is right...is right.

22lr works fine. I did this for my dog about 3 years ago.
Someone had said something about how a guy should be able to put his own dog down and it kinda stuck with me.So I did it myself.
Personally I would never judge how anyone deals with this. That too personal for me to tell anyone how to dispatch their animal.
Then I gave her a proper cremation in my fire pit. She was a warrior and deserved no less.
Do what YOU think is right for you and your dog.My dog didn't suffer any more than the doc injecting something into her

I'd go with the vet unless circumstances made it too much of a hassle.

Remember that shortly after the animal passes it may lose its bladder and/or bowels so make sure you are prepared for that.

Sucks going through this but it is part of life with pets.

Don't put yourself through it.
That would be hard to live with.

I lost my dog [child] four years ago this time of year. And it still hurts.
Worse than my friends and even my brother dying in my arms.
Maybe it's the fact there scared. And you cant explain to them what's going on?

I don't know. But it makes for a lasting memory.

I'm sorry for what your going through.

Last Edited:
Give him the absolute best most affectionate day the day before. That morning give him a favorite food or something infused with Benadryl.
He'll be sleepier and less aware.. It'll keep him calm, from there Id take him to the vet.

It hurts so bad, but I could not bare the thought of shooting my dog and either A
Not imediatly killing him and having to shoot him again.
or
B. Having him seizure in my arms as he died..
Both those would make me lose it..

Having the vet pit him down is very quick and efficient. Say your goodbyes and hold his pawn on the table while he passes away.

Have your vet do an in home private. We did this with 12yr old Shepard, and also so do a paw print impression (memory paw).

We did it and I used it as a template for my FOREVER AT MY SIDE tatto. IMAG0072.jpg

This SUCKS I'M SO SORRY

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads