JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
By "SA" do you mean "single action" or "sidearm"?

My daughter has chosen all of her own guns after shooting mine and with my input but according to her personal needs. Her first was an S&W Shield 9mm which she likes and shoots well but found it too large for daily carry with her petite build and typical girlie style of dress. She got a Kahr CW380 for packing when the Shield is "too much gun". I own neither model myself.

Really light guns are also harder to shoot well because they shake more in your hand than a heavier gun. More weight stabilizes the gun. J frames are harder to shoot than k or l frames because the parts are all smaller so the trigger pulls are much heavier. I refuse to own a gun lighter than about 30 oz because I just can't shoot light guns all that well.

If a female carries a purse she can hide anything she wants, size or weight less of an issue. A man wearing shorts and tee shirt much of the year, may prefer a smaller CC gun - unless he wants to carry a purse. :)

J frames are harder to shoot than k or l frames because the parts are all smaller so the trigger pulls are much heavier.
Typically yes but you would be impressed with my 2" Mod 60 Smith - it has Wolff springs and had a trigger and action job - this and the Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips make it a whole new gun!

Good suggestions but I say take her to a range that has different models of firearms in the same caliber. You rent 9mm types and she rents 380. Then let her shoot both.

As far as saying revolver and nothing else. Here is a good reason to try the firearm first. The revolver is a S&W model 642.

If I had a daughter she'd carry a snub .38 and no backtalk.

i assumed SA = semi automatic , not sure if was supposed to mean Single Action as in DA/SA

it depends on the skill of your daughter, if she is skilled at Slap/Rack/Bang, then dosent really matter, get her something that she will like carrying. because the first rule in a gun fight.... is have a gun. or something like that.... better to have it and not need it... etc.... but if its something that she dosent like... welll she probably wont carry it consistently.

If not a revolver, i'd suggest something in a size 9mm... i have rarely:cool: meat a .380 that functioned well, but again, train , train , train....

i suggest a revolver because its a simpler action... squeeze, if no bang, squeeze again. you dont have to worry about mag springs, or keeping it oiled, etc.

Yeah, now we can dispense with all the revolver talk. ;)
Ya.. I was about to recommend what I got for my wife when she started CC a few months ago.
Good thing about revolvers is they will cycle inside a purse.
If there's a sketchy situation she can be ready to act without Drawing attention and shoot 5 rnds of Critical defense right through her purse if it gets ugly.
Charter Arms Pink Lady 32. HR Mag...practice with 32sw nice and soft
92902CE8-042F-4855-9AE2-E90285A6FAFD.jpeg

Good thing about revolvers is they will cycle inside a purse.
Purse or pocket you want a shrouded or "hammerless" to prevent snags though.

I still stand by the position that the right answer is "Let Those Who Ride Decide"--expose her to different guns on the range, and let her decide what fits her best. I remember that my mother was really trying to push a particular deep-discounted 9mm S&W Sigma because all she could see was price-tag... she got real quiet all of a sudden when I asked her "Are YOU gonna be shooting it? Are YOU gonna be betting your life on it?"

Purse or pocket you want a shrouded or "hammerless" to prevent snags though.
Ya we discussed that when she picked it out. her purse is designed for it though....there is a center division that runs the length of it smooth and somewhat rigid on either side so there nothing to snag on. She can come in through a secret back pocket, or the top....
Spendy purse though!

'Shield' sure seems to show up a lot - and good reviews on it. I may have to find one and surprise her with it!

I really like my shield, but I really like the new Sig 365 they are just hard to get right now...

If you want to get together sometime so she can test fire my shield 9 let me know.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top