JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Daughter is getting her CCL and wants to find a SA - she wants .380 but I'll 'talk' her into a 9 mm. What are you ladies carrying or what is Youse Guys ladies' carrying? Hint - my daughter is on the 'petite' side. Likes, dislikes & general info appreciated.

While not a SA, you should be able to get a sig 365 for about $1 after all the bugs are worked out.
If I had a daughter she'd carry a snub .38 and no backtalk.

We just bought a S&W P.C. Shield 9mm for my fiance to use a couple of weeks ago. She has smallish hands.

I just bought a Sig P290 RS a couple of weeks ago to replace my snubbie and I'm loving it. With the six round mag it's pretty small so it might be good for your daughter.
I keep the extended mag in it because the grip is tiny and I don't have big hands. It's also super flat.

The early P290's had some issues that they supposedly fixed in the RS model. They made some changes, but Sig discontinued them shortly thereafter for a different series, so beware.
Mine's fine so far but it's not even broken in yet.

DSCN0542.JPG

SA = single action?

My wife carried a 42 when she carried, she is 5'4" 115#. She used a belly band corset holster.

She preferred it as her home gun / range gun is a 19 so she had the familiarity.

While not a SA, you should be able to get a sig 365 for about $1 after all the bugs are worked out.

You need a 3-4" barrel to get any power from a .38.

How about a LCP in .380 ? The one with the older style safe trigger. Smith has a newer 380 as well.

AND this may happen once she tries my Mod 60 Smith - I gave her a Taurus 605 as her first gun a few years ago as she shot it really well and liked it but being a .357 it is a bit bulkier. I have a feeling once she tries my Mod 60 she is going to want one - or a Mod 36.

And once again, the answer IS, Sig 938!!! What do I win? That's what Wifey carries. If daughter is comfy with the 1911 format she'd like the 938.

With the advancement in bullet technology these days .a 380 can do the job but I would say go 9mm my friend and his wife both carry a sheild 9mm

But it all depends on her what gun does she shoot best .if she can hit the target with a 380 .
And can't with a 9mm I would say get the 380

I talked my wife into a 9MM instead of a .380. My wife likes her Ruger LC9s Pro a lot! I actually carry one off duty as well. Fits in my pants pocket like it wasn't even there. I carry two extra mags in another pocket. It shoots surprisingly well.

Lots of good suggestions.

I like the revolver suggestion because some women do not like racking a slide.
And 38 Special is a good self defense round.

Ruger LC9s Pro is a great suggestion (insist on the Pro)

SIG P938 is what a friend's wife uses

My sub-compact is a Walther PPS-M2
Like a Glock 43 with Walther ergonomics

The best procedure would be to visit a range that has a nice selection in their rental fleet.
Rent and shoot until she says "I want that one."
Buying based on the ol' "Gun Shop Fondle" will not guarantee anything other than your wallet will be lighter.

Yea no. I stoke mine with +P+ treasury loads.
If miss tuffet or the gun can't stand those, regular lead SWC's will work dandy.

Ballistic by the inch didn't test the +p stuff. But from their charts the 380acp does a bit better with the short barrels than the special.

Just wondering, is your pistol +p+ rated ? Or do you just use it on occasion ?

38special.png

I like the revolver suggestion because some women do not like racking a slide.
Like I previously mentioned when she shoots my Mod 60 Smith she may have a whole new attitude about revolvers - and she will probably say, (knowing my daughter) 'Dad I'll give you the Taurus back if I can have the Mod 60' - to which I'll tell her, 'Lets go find a Mod 60 (or 36) and I'll sell the Taurus'

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top