JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just de-capped sized, primed and flared 100 cases of 45lc. Then I remembered to check it with the calipers, it was supposed to be 1.285 max. my cases were almost 1.290.
Now I got 100 cases of oversized primed brass. Is there any way to trim it or do I write it off?
I was thinking of shooting the primers off and starting from scratch is that the only alternative?

I have never had to trim and pistol brass, i rarely measure it as I have never had a problem with a round not clambering due to case length, I would load a test round and see if it chambers in your cylinder. I don't shoot 45lc but have shot some 38spl cases 6+ times and never had an issue. If you cannot chamber that test round, I would pull the bullets and size them again and trim them slightly under max length, you can just pull your decapping pin from the die

Thanks, I couldn't see how these cases could be stretched out to the danger point, after shooting 1 time with cowboy loads. They fit fine in my Vaquero with about 1/8" to spare.
So the Max and Min case/cartridge sizes in the manuals have to be taken with a grain of salt.

So the Max and Min case/cartridge sizes in the manuals have to be taken with a grain of salt.

there ya go.
If you are shooting cast bulles,and roll crimping into the crimp groove,the oal becomes somewhat critical as the crimp groove is not huge.size first then measure the oal of the cases.What I do is pick an average-length case and accept any that are +- .005,using the 'average length' case to set the crimp die.

I've been sorting them by manufacturer, and they seem to be pretty close in size.
Wouldn't it be easier if I had one of those RCBS power case trimmers and just trim to min length? take as much time as calibrating each one?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top