JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
So sorry to hear about your loss, welcome to NWFA. Plenty of great folks here that can help you out, our folks are definitely high caliber people.

Hello,

You have my sincere sympathies on the loss of your husband.

I do not live in your state but the women and men here who do will be able to help you.

I have personally sold a few guns face to face (My former state was different and MT is different too when it comes to gun laws.) and I have sold guns mainly through 1 to 2 different FFL Montana dealers. I sold them and priced them myself. I priced the ones that went on consignment too. When they sold on consignment - I took the FULL price for buying something in the store NOT a check minus a commission price.

I have sold 15 or more guns of my own. Ones from back east (15 or so.) and out here (A few more.).

I knew what they cost because I was the one who bought them so I had my figures on my NIB prices and what did increase over the years.

I gifted some too.

Your situation may or may not be different where you would want all of your money UP front when your guns sell.

Get several estimates ONLINE and in person. Don't let some smooth talking man or woman try to sell you short just because you are a female or a widow.

I am a female and was a widow at 51 years old. I sold some guns according to my state laws back east. I sold some guns out here to people that I knew and through those FFL dealers too. I am 69 years old now.

I gather that your late husband did not keep a list or update his firearm list?

I am a remarried widow and even helped PRICE some firearms and gun related STUFF, some as package deals, that my MT born/raised husband ended up selling when he downsized ALL of his firearms and CONSOLIDATED all of his firearm calibers before his retirement too. He sold a LOT of stuff and gifted a lot of stuff to friends too.

Best wishes to you and I hope that your sale goes well. There are people HERE who can help you and if I was in your state... my husband and I would help you too.

There are auction houses that are famous too. I do not know anything about them, I never used them myself, and I think that some of them may cater to specific types of collections.

Take care. Best wishes to you!

Sincerely,

Old Lady Cate
Typos and added more. This post took before I was done.
Thank you, I appreciate the advice. No, hubby did not keep any sort of inventory of his guns. He bought and sold and swapped and I only know the provenance of the few I gave him or had some special circumstance.
I'm not in any hurry to sell, but I sincerely wish to avoid being taken advantage of.

DFN,

How are you doing and do you still need any help?

I hope that things are working out well for you.

Take care.

Cate

I have a feeling there would be some gems in his collection. I would suggest figuring out what the collection includes and posting here or consulting some of the members who have been recommended already first. This is a close knit group and you can have an idea about how long someone has been a member and what kind of feedback they've had from local deals. Since you're not in a rush, I would avoid dealers and buyers that want to buy in bulk at a discount and flip them for profit. The only benefit you get there is convenience.

Know that there are people who place value on knowing the history of an item they buy, and respect the memory of the previous owner. I personally would gladly pay $100 or more over a gun store price or other resale situation just to meet in person with someone who knew the previous owner and could give me some backstory on the firearm, so I could carry that with me. Sharing the story and knowing the history would be an honor. There are things in this world more important than money. Hold out until you find those potential buyers who will value the history of the firearms and honor the memory of your husband. They're out there, and you're a lot more likely to find them here than you are on national websites.

I'm sorry for your loss, and wish you luck in this process.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I have sold several guns on this forum, and Have also used Gunbroker and Auction arms. Post up the firearm with photos of it from every possible angle and then when you get a buyer, Have them choose an ffl license to do the transfer and required papers.

Then once you receive a copy of the ffl's paperwork, you can send the gun off to the ffl.

It isn't too hard to do.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I have sold several guns on this forum, and Have also used Gunbroker and Auction arms. Post up the firearm with photos of it from every possible angle and then when you get a buyer, Have them choose an ffl license to do the transfer and required papers.

Then once you receive a copy of the ffl's paperwork, you can send the gun off to the ffl.

It isn't too hard to do.

One thing I.learned is once you post on GunBroker.com you have entered into an exclusive contract for as long as the ad runs. If, while an ad is running, you sell a firearm to another party, you have broken that contract and a GunBroker buyer can contest your outside sale of the firearm and you could end up owing them money to "settle it". Or you could get Tangled up with GB and your future ability to sell on their site. In short, read the fine print of the GB contract before you post an ad.

One thing I.learned is once you post on GunBroker.com you have entered into an exclusive contract for as long as the ad runs. If, while an ad is running, you sell a firearm to another party, you have broken that contract and a GunBroker buyer can contest your outside sale of the firearm and you could end up owing them money to "settle it". Or you could get Tangled up with GB and your future ability to sell on their site. In short, read the fine print of the GB contract before you post an ad.

Clarify something for me....I've seen ads on GB that say their auction could end at anytime because the seller also has a store.

I haven't been monitoring this thread closely, so I'm very sorry if it seems like I just posted and ran.

I can only express my deep gratitude for the advice and concern given to me here; its sort of astonishing that an online community would be so warm and welcoming to a stranger.

God bless all of you for your goodness. As mentioned above, Velzey is going to be handling the sale of Bill's guns.

Allison

Allison,
I hope things are working out for you. If there is anything that I can do for you let me know. am willing to give you a free appraisal of the firearms and help you to sell them if you need that
Bill

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews