JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Forty Seven years speaks volumes of you both.
If you post pictures, there are plenty here to help with pricing, and you're more than welcome to use my blue book of gun values, of which I'm sure many others on this site own a copy.

Several members here not too far from you who might be able to assist you! @No_Regerts, @Slobray, @Alexx1401 would also be most helpful souls in assisting you in this difficult process!
Might also be a good idea to share some pictures here as we can assist you in determining the rarity and value of what you have!
And if any of the Mods can be of any assistance, we are at your service! Best of luck! :cool:

This isn't necessarily true.

I have on exactly ONE (1) occasion had someone out-of-the-blue "offer" to buy a pistol (that i took to a gun show, to speak with someone about). The guy saw it and asked if it was for sale. I said "Everything has a price. What were you thinking?"

He looked at it, and said to give him a little bit to come up with a fair offer.

I went and talked to who i needed to, then went back to the table of the guy to listen to his offer.

The guy pulled out a gun Blue Book and opened it up to the page of my pistol. He points to a price and tries telling me that is the best he could do. Because it wasn't "Mint in box, and didn't feel that it was even 50%. He points to a price that said (something like) 20-30% value (and the value said $285).

He says, "I need to make a little something on it too when i go to sell it. And in that condition, it's going to take me a while to sell it."

I couldn't believe that he actually did all this BS with a straight face, and made me feel like he was doing me a favor for taking it off my hands for the "very generous offer" that he made.

Needless to say, I was at a loss for words, and just turned and walked away and the Auto Mag came home with me (and is one of them in my avatar. I forget which one.)

You sound like this isn't your first rodeo. Stay away from the people that pull out the gun Blue Book to find pricing..... ;)

As mentioned, if you have time, go through the "sold" area of GunBroker and get an idea of what they were selling for. Not the auction ended price, but an actual selling price where there were multiple bids.

Because GunBroker is worldwide, i'd guess that taking ~10-15% off the sale price, would be a "fair" price for local sales only. Then again, they are yours to determine a "fair price".

And by all means, DO NOT sell them for what your husband told you he paid for them!!! (That right here is my biggest fear my wife will do when i die).

:s0140:

Sorry, I forgot about the infamous "blue book of gun values" which is basically for dealers to show people who don't know the market so they can justify their low ball offer. Thankfully, I have a local shop that has been in business for a while. He keeps a spreadsheet of every used gun he sold, for how much, and when it sold, so for consignment purposes you can agree on a listing price. The last gun I sold through him was a WWII vintage M1 Garand, he got way more than I offered it for sale here and even more than we agreed upon when I dropped it off, no complaints. Which brings me to another point, its a lot easier to sell "desirable" guns that are no longer in production. Rugers, Mossbergs, Taurus, Remginton 870's are probably the most difficult to move, then there are trends, like all of a sudden no wants 40S&W pistols.

Sincere condolences on the loss of your life partner. :(

@DolceFarNiente If you didn't already know, to view Gun Broker's "Completed Auctions" you need to register on the site. Click on the "Advanced" tab and click "Completed Auctions". Then enter gun brand name and model number.

Wow, thank everyone for their replies. I'm overwhelmed.

I will need to take new pictures of everything since the ones I took last summer seem to have disappeared from my computer, When I do, I will post again to share them for any info anyone feels they'd like to offer.

Thanks again and again.

If you do decide to sell to a shop, use the terms "snot locker" and "booger hook" in your conversation and you'll get top dollar.

Just kidding.

Sorry for your loss and it looks like you're in good hands.

Sorry for you loss!!

just please be careful if selling online locally.
Only meet at an FFL, do not meet up or have anyone come to look at them, and always go through an FFL.
Too many scammers, thieves, etc

It's better to get less than risk loss or life.

Good luck, and God speed to you

My husband and I moved to Washington a few years ago from Texas. He passed away shortly after we moved here.

I have decided I need to sell his guns (18 long guns and 5 handguns) , but my circle of acquaintances doesn't really include any gun people locally. I have looked at GunBroker, and I see there is a classified section here, but I'm really unsure as to how to go about this.

I have gone to a couple gun dealers but wasn't happy with their offers (I suspect they think a woman who doesn't know much about firearms an easy touch). Any advice would be appreciated!

Hello,

You have my sincere sympathies on the loss of your husband.

I do not live in your state but the women and men here who do will be able to help you.

I have personally sold a few guns face to face (My former state was different and MT is different too when it comes to gun laws.) and I have sold guns mainly through 1 to 2 different FFL Montana dealers. I sold them and priced them myself. I priced the ones that went on consignment too. When they sold on consignment - I took the FULL price for buying something in the store NOT a check minus a commission price.

I have sold 15 or more guns of my own. Ones from back east (15 or so.) and out here (A few more.).

I knew what they cost because I was the one who bought them so I had my figures on my NIB prices and what did increase over the years.

I gifted some too.

Your situation may or may not be different where you would want all of your money UP front when your guns sell.

Get several estimates ONLINE and in person. Don't let some smooth talking man or woman try to sell you short just because you are a female or a widow.

I am a female and was a widow at 51 years old. I sold some guns according to my state laws back east. I sold some guns out here to people that I knew and through those FFL dealers too. I am 69 years old now.

I gather that your late husband did not keep a list or update his firearm list?

I am a remarried widow and even helped PRICE some firearms and gun related STUFF, some as package deals, that my MT born/raised husband ended up selling when he downsized ALL of his firearms and CONSOLIDATED all of his firearm calibers before his retirement too. He sold a LOT of stuff and gifted a lot of stuff to friends too.

Best wishes to you and I hope that your sale goes well. There are people HERE who can help you and if I was in your state... my husband and I would help you too.

There are auction houses that are famous too. I do not know anything about them, I never used them myself, and I think that some of them may cater to specific types of collections.

Take care. Best wishes to you!

Sincerely,

Old Lady Cate
Typos and added more. This post took before I was done.

Last Edited:
I'm not in your neighborhood or I would be glad to help. I've done this similar thing for a neighbor. You will likely find a person on NWFA who is nearby and can help.

I found this an invaluable help:

Basically anyone in WA can sell a rifle and send to the buyer's local firearms dealer, where it is legally transferred. There are some exceptions for 80% firearms (an AR15 or Glock handgun) or what is called an NFA registered firearm (like a full-auto rifle).

Handgun transfers need to be sent from one licensed firearms dealer (local) to the buyer's firearms dealer.

I've used GunBroker.com before and you need to be familiar with how that site operates to avoid getting trapped into a lowball sale.

An NWFA subscriber may be your best option to keep everything on the level.
The new washington law requires you to ship said gun through a FFL but i digress

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads