JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, so here is the deal, I just bought a brand new Ruger Alaskan and I freakin love the gun save for one issue that is buggin the bejesus out of me.

Stamped on the barrel is "Read Instruction Manual". Really? It just bugs me, it might be petty to some but it really bothers me, I spend hundreds of $$$$ on a gun and they ruin it by permanently stamping a "safety" warning! Anyway my question is, what if anything can I do to remove it? Is there anybody who can help me out with ideas or steer me in the right direction?

I appreciate any ideas or tips! Here is a photo of it and the writing is small but its the first line on the top.:s0155:

No way on earth to weld that up and grind it off and not have it look like crap not to mention warping the barrel doing it. First off you would have to have the fill material be the exact same alloy the barrel is made of.

You can grind it out (the stamping will effect the grain of the metal to twice the depth of the stamp. You would either make a nice flat spot or with many many hours of work you might be able to return it to something barely resembling the shape it has now. Of course the other side will look way different. OR you can just deal with it.

Ruger is known for "bill board" warning label.

If you re-profile the whole gun with new finish, you might end up more than a gun value.

Just get over it and shoot more. ;)

Stamped on the barrel is "Read Instruction Manual". Really? It just bugs me, it might be petty to some but it really bothers me, I spend hundreds of $$$$ on a gun and they ruin it by permanently stamping a "safety" warning!

Stuff like this bugs me too, but I have to think to myself -- thus tell you: " come on -- its not ruined. Still goes bang right? Plus if you point it at someone in a self-defense situation, I don't think a BG is going to laugh and point at your warning label. :winkkiss: "

Have it rebarreled. That ought to be cheap! Oh wait! That's the frame. You're screwed! Or you could have someone machine both sides of the barrel extension with a flat. Could come out looking sorta like a Performance Center S&W.
I really don't like the warning labels that Ruger puts on their firearms, but I love Rugers.

You can't see that label when you're shooting it.:D

I have seen the warnings removed and done so very professionally and in a manner you could never tell. In fact there is one custom shop that specializes in it. It is all about proper shaping. I am sure I could do it, but I have never been bothered enough by them to try.

My Savage target action has a similar warning printed on it in white lettering. Looks worse than what you have on your Ruger. Bugged me at first. Now I don't even notice it. I think it says WARNING and some other stuff, but can't say for sure now without going to look.

My ATV has the same kind of warnings all over it too. Seems silly to me. That crap is the result of idiots sueing the companies and now the lawyers are trying to cover their butts for them.

I have seen the warnings removed and done so very professionally and in a manner you could never tell. In fact there is one custom shop that specializes in it. It is all about proper shaping. I am sure I could do it, but I have never been bothered enough by them to try.

Intrigued I am! This shop you speak of, where might it be located? I think for the most part everybody is right, I just need to nut up and shut up! But darn it, it makes as much sense as engraving a warning label on a fork, or any other inanimate object for that matter. Sigh!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Have it rebarreled. That ought to be cheap! Oh wait! That's the frame. You're screwed! Or you could have someone machine both sides of the barrel extension with a flat. Could come out looking sorta like a Performance Center S&W.
I really don't like the warning labels that Ruger puts on their firearms, but I love Rugers.

You can't see that label when you're shooting it.:D

That might work, I could just JB Weld on a new barrel, file the weld smooth and presto chango! I have me a sweet gun, or handgrenade!

Intrigued I am! This shop you speak of, where might it be located? I think for the most part everybody is right, I just need to nut up and shut up! But darn it, it makes as much sense as engraving a warning label on a fork, or any other inanimate object for that matter. Sigh!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I can't remember the name of the custom shop and they might not even be around anymore, but a few years ago i remember looking at pics of some custom work they did on some Alaskans and they had removed the warning. it was listed as part of the package.The warning is not at a high stress point so removing a little steel will not hurt the gun.

That might work, I could just JB Weld on a new barrel, file the weld smooth and presto chango! I have me a sweet gun, or handgrenade!

Seriously, check it out. The part that has the warning stamped into it is an extension of the frame. The actual barrel is threaded inside of that. With a little creativity and a mill, that warning area could be milled flat, then the other side milled to match. I also agree with Playboy that you could remove it. But it would be a ton of handwork and would probably have enough metal removed that it require the other side to be reworked to match the profile.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top