JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Shotgun with a gun stock that has a beautiful I believe oil stained finish. They did not put any other finish on it

My concern is that it may wear faster or uneven.

I am thinking of coating it with something like a urethane to give it some durability.

Any recommendations on what to use? No of coats?
Don’t coat it?
What to avoid or what not to do

Appreciate the feedback

BLO is a common oil stain for stocks. I guess it depends on if you want to alter it or not. Is it a wall hanger or a shooter? My BLO(boiled linseed oil) coated Mosin-Nagant has been out in the weather with me for 4 years and the stock is fine. Plus a fresh coat from time to time only helps it.

I use a product called "Daly's Profin". It is the most user friendly and produces the best looking finish. Comes in gloss and satin. I use the satin for a very nice hand rubbed look.
It is available at Woodworking supply houses like Woodcrafters. Make sure to stir the waxy solids at the bottom of the can before using. I rub between coats with 0000 steel wool for a very smooth finish. Below is an excerpt from a supply house I found online.

Daly's Profin is a blend of tung-oil & urethane, so you get the advantages of both components. The tung-oil soaks into the wood, sealing it & adding depth. The urethane stays on the surface, providing protection from use, including moisture. It is a hard-drying, quick setting finish that is easy to apply. It can be brushed, wiped on or sprayed. Use on wood surfaces such as furniture, cabinets, foors, millwork & paneling. It can be used on reasonably protected exterior surfaces, such as a door under a porch.

In general, we recommend the application of 3-4 coats for good protection, depending on how it is being applied. If brushing, 3 coats is adequate. If you spray it on then 4

Thanks for the input

It is not a wall hanger - More hunting. I just want to preserve the look for as long as possible.

I did my double barrel 15 years ago - and it still looks fine. Again a Hunting gun. That makes the gun about 50 years old
But I would like to use a better product on this one

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads