JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was priming a bunch of 300 wsm cases today a primer somehow rolled over and is stuck in the pocket sideways and the case will not come out of the shell holder.

Any ideas for a solution?

Thought about trying to put something down the case mouth to punch it back out of the primer of pocket.

Will the primer go off if I try to punch it out? I am a little spooked about this.

Was priming a bunch of 300 wsm cases today a primer somehow rolled over and is stuck in the pocket sideways and the case will not come out of the shell holder.

Thought about trying to put something down the case mouth to punch it back out of the primer of pocket.

Will the primer go off if I try to punch it out? I am a little spooked about this.
You can put a drop of oil on the primer to kill the primer then gently push it out just be sure to re clean the case befor loading it.

My 550 flips primers sideways occasionally just to annoy me. I just smash them in there harder until it clears the shell holder. Then use a small screw driver to pry it out of the pocket working on the outside of the cup side. Over the years I have probably smashed a couple hundred.

I've had this happen. Switched over to the Lee decapping die & pushed it out.
Never had one go POP.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, squeeze the end of the case mouth with a pair of pliers or chanel locks and toss it in the trash.

Use the decapping die and just go slow.
Exactly this, no problem. I've deprimed hundreds of live primers over the last 30 years, only a couple times ever had one go off. One as I recall was a military case with a serious crimp, and the other I got careless using a decapping pin and a hammer, smacked it quick and sharp and it popped. Startled me, but no harm done. They make quite a bang; if you're wearing eye and hand protection it's not generally that big of a deal. Going slow and careful, I've never had one go off.

I'm probably weird; I hate tossing salvageable brass. I even have special little tools I made for removing the little rings from primer pockets that you get when the top breaks off the primer during decapping. I have been slowly teaching myself to stop wasting time on common brass though. We've processed enough 9mm brass that if it's questionable at all, it usually gets scrapped.

Like others before mentioned, just use your decapping die. I've decapped live primers without an issue. To be safe it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the primer tube that's full of live primers from the press before decapping.
With the primer sideways I'd have very little concern that it would ignite when being removed.

Throw it away! Not worth the risk!

Is this a single stage or a progressive?
If a progressive, remove the bolt which holds the shell holder....
If it's still in your hand primer, disassemble the system and pull the shell holder out with the brass, put it in a single stage.

Single stage, use a FL resize die to decap the primer (or a primer decapper die).

They mean toss the brass.

Have decapped hundreds of live primer rounds, reclaiming the brass and primers. Have also decapped dozens of brass where the primer went in wonky, sideways, or crushed the cup side walls, pancaking the primer.

Like @oremike says, if you're concerned about 'primer go bang', put a drop of oil or three in the case, wait a few seconds, then decap.

Cool, glad it worked!

By the way, I just noticed your location. Beautiful country there. My wife is from P.A.. I've only been out to Forks a couple times, before the vampire nonsense. :)

Yes it is a unique place. After spending 26 years there I am now back in Oregon where I originated. It has changed a lot here since I left.
Going to have to edit my info here.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads