JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone.. new here. Looks like a pretty active forum, so I thought I'd post and ask for some suggestions for Glass.

Planning my first extended Elk trip this fall in Central or Eastern WA and as of now it looks like I will be using my Model 70 in .30-06. I have fired this rifle only about 30 times or so and never taken game with it (my local area is Shotgun Only for Deer/Elk, no High Powered Rifles). This was my grandfathers rifle and still has the cheap Bushnell glass on it he purchased about 30 years ago and I'd like to replace it.

I don't have a large budget, about $400-500 total and have already looked at Redfield, Leupold, Nikon, and a few others, but not really sure on what to go for, what reticle, magnification, lens diameter, etc. Probably looking at taking shots of about 100-200 yards (I am not super proficient with a Rifle at this point, mostly a Pistol and Shotgun guy).

Anyway, any suggestions or info you could pass along would be great. Thanks everyone!

3-9x40 is the most popular for the application and your price range. Go with Leupold. Best hunting scope in the market period.

i would recommend on the higher end of your budget the VX-3 3.5-10x40 with duplex reticle which is on sale at opticsplanet.com right now ( won their brilliance award as well).

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx3-35-10x40mm-rifle-scope.html

plus they are located locally in beaverton "IF" you ever need to use their lifetime warranty.

3-9x40 is the most popular for the application and your price range. Go with Leupold. Best hunting scope in the market period.

i would recommend on the higher end of your budget the VX-3 3.5-10x40 with duplex reticle which is on sale at opticsplanet.com right now ( won their brilliance award as well).

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx3-35-10x40mm-rifle-scope.html

plus they are located locally in beaverton "IF" you ever need to use their lifetime warranty.

Awesome, thank you both for your replies! I was over at the local Sportsman's Warehouse by work a few weeks back and checked out a few and this was one of the ones I was partial too.. I was also looking at a Redfield, who I believe is owned by Leupold at this point and also made locally. I liked the glass on the Nikon's, but it didn't seem they gave the same "wide" view the Leupold did (seemed much narrower a field of view compared to the Leupold)... is that just me, or is there not a difference??

On that note, when is there a call to go from a 40mm to a 50mm? Is this just simply for more light/wider view or does this have another purpose? Sorry.. kinda optics stupid.. ;).

I have never been impressed with nikons for the same exact reason you mentioned. The field of view absolutely sucks. I Just see the black from the eyepiece and a little bit of glass.

40mm v 50mm at the end of the day comes down to the ability to gather light in low light situations. the 50 is going to gain you about 15 minutes before sunrise and 15 min after sunset in comparison to a 40mm. That's really the only difference.

I have never been impressed with nikons for the same exact reason you mentioned. The field of view absolutely sucks. I Just see the black from the eyepiece and a little bit of glass.

40mm v 50mm at the end of the day comes down to the ability to gather light in low light situations. the 50 is going to gain you about 15 minutes before sunrise and 15 min after sunset in comparison to a 40mm. That's really the only difference.

K, I was on the right path then. thank you! I will probably spend a little more next year if this fall goes well and maybe consider a 50mm down the road.. I think I need a little more experience under my belt before it will be worth while though. At that point though, I will probably opt for a new Rifle altogether with new glass (I love my Rifle, but it was passed down from my dieing grandfather and I really don't relish the idea of taking it out into the sticks and beating it up!)

What type of rings are mounted on it?
Good question. I'd look if I were home to get into my Safe. I don't even think they are rings, it's been awhile since I took the scope off, but I remember it being a sort of slide on mount system with some hex screws that just tightened onto the bottom of the optic.. I took it into a shop a while back and the guy behind the counter told me I would need a more modern mounting system anyway if I were to buy new glass..

I'll snap a pic when I get a chance and get back to you..

Buy a good set of rings and bases. Many of the older ones are Weaver bases with clamp on rings. Leupold makes the "Redfield" style and are very common, look nice and are not too expensive. If you stay with a 40mm objective lens, a set of low rings will work just fine.

I'd put a Leupold on it, too. And, you don't have to buy top of the line (VX6, VXL) to get a great scope. Don't be afraid to check out the "bottom of the barrel" Rifleman. It's better than the VX-II of yester-year. Also, Redfield Revolution is a similar scope with a similar warranty. I'd either buy a 3-9x40 or possibly a 4-12x40. If you think you'll be using this gun in the woods around here, the 3-9 would be my choice. If you're only going to be using it where the chances of a longer shot are common, then pick the 4-12.
As far as a 50mm, I wouldn't go that way. The 40mm (in a good scope) will gather more light than your naked eye and you won't lose a minute of legal shooting time. In fact, if you're looking thru the scope for a moment you'll have to wait for your eye to adjust when you put the scope down. Quality of lens is more important than size. Plus, you'll have to mount it in higher rings and possibly not have as good of a cheek weld on the stock. The VX-L Leupold with the "cut out" glass eliminates this issue, but they are expensive.
The scope on my 30-06 is a VX-R 3-9x40. Great scope, actually it's a fantastic scope. It's right at the upper end of your budget. There are three things I am not really thrilled about, though.
1. It's a 30mm scope body. Would be easier to get rings for a 1" tube, although that's less of a problem now.
2. It's kinda heavy.
3. The CDS dial (elevation turret knob) is exposed and non locking. Not a big issue unless you're dragging it thru the brush.

I've got a brand new Leupold model 70 base that you can have.
It came with a large tackle box of rings and mounts that was left over from when G I Joe's went out of business.
There's also a bunch of nice 1" rings you could pick through.
Send me a PM if you're interested.
Cheers, Jeff

scope rings 001.JPG

scope rings 002.JPG

I know you said you looked at Redfield, but did you know that Redfield is actually produced by Leupold? So, for the same quality of the Leupold you can spend a lot less money.

I know you said you looked at Redfield, but did you know that Redfield is actually produced by Leupold? So, for the same quality of the Leupold you can spend a lot less money.
Only the Revolution line is made here in Oregon, the other's are foreign built. Not that there is anything wrong with that, my Battlezone has been great!

The new vx1s have click adjustments, and are priced the same as the redfield revolution. I personally would just go leupold at that point.

I've got a brand new Leupold model 70 base that you can have.
It came with a large tackle box of rings and mounts that was left over from when G I Joe's went out of business.
There's also a bunch of nice 1" rings you could pick through.
Send me a PM if you're interested.
Cheers, Jeff
This is great thank you! It will probably be a few weeks before I actually make a purchase yet but will be back here when I figure out the exact glass I will buy.

If you have that much to spend I would look at the VX3 Leopold. And skip the 50mm objective...doesn't gain much of anything and just makes a bigger, higher mounted scope.

I have scopes ranging from $150 Burris Fullfield II to high end Nightforce scopes. For a hunting scope...the Burris works just as good as all the others. Sure the more expensive scopes are a little brighter and clearer, but for hunting good enough is exactly that. My favorite deer hunting scope is a $300 Leopold 50th anniversary scope.

I have some Nikon Monarch scopes and agree with others that eye position is more critical than a Leopold. However I found that over a short amount of time, I naturally found the line up point. Call it muscle memory or whatever. Nikon has quality glass and I've never had issues with any of the ones I own. If you find a good price and one you like, buy it.

If you have that much to spend I would look at the VX3 Leopold. And skip the 50mm objective...doesn't gain much of anything and just makes a bigger, higher mounted scope.

I have scopes ranging from $150 Burris Fullfield II to high end Nightforce scopes. For a hunting scope...the Burris works just as good as all the others. Sure the more expensive scopes are a little brighter and clearer, but for hunting good enough is exactly that. My favorite deer hunting scope is a $300 Leopold 50th anniversary scope.

I have some Nikon Monarch scopes and agree with others that eye position is more critical than a Leopold. However I found that over a short amount of time, I naturally found the line up point. Call it muscle memory or whatever. Nikon has quality glass and I've never had issues with any of the ones I own. If you find a good price and one you like, buy it.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Nikon glass, and I've actually used quite a bit of their photography glass and I can speak to the quality of it. I think it was just a little off-putting with the black circle around the outside when trying to line it up. But as you said, probably would get used to it and develop a natural ability to find the right spot fairly quick. It was just a knee jerk initial reaction from all of 5 minutes playing with the scope! :)

50mm as mentioned will require higher rings, also heavier , bulkier so you will hit it more often , it does bring in more light but also more glair in sunlight and with quality glass you should not need a 50mm .

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top