JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am planning on buying a lower (maybe two) in preparation for building an AR. Not sure what caliber I want yet. Was considering doing one in 300 blackout and one in 308. But I want to get the lower now, while I have the ca$h, meaning before the wife spends it!!!

Are AR's like old school bolt rifles where it is either long action or short action, and that is pretty much what I have to decide before I purchase the lower? I know there is way more to the lower, but not knowing what caliber I want, what other questions do I have to know the answer to before pulling the trigger on the lower?

I know, rookie AR questions... But bear with me, I am an avid shooter, but have only ever shot the standard hunting rifles.

You will need a normal lower for the 5.56 and a .308 lower for the other build. The .308 is much bigger than the 5.56 lower. Some brands of .308 lowers are good as they use the same LPK that a 5.56 uses. And yes the blackout is the same as 5.56 you just need the 300 barrel.

Good luck with the builds!

What are your reasons for starting out with the 2 calibers that you are considering? Why not start out with 5.56 so you can afford to shoot regularly and improve your skills?
Are you aware that most shooters consider the .308 as heavy? Do you want the .308 for long distance shooting? Do you plan to shoot a lot at $1.00+ per round?
Why the 300 blackout? Are you planning on hunting with a silencer? Do you mostly plan to hunt/shoot at 300 yards or less? Do you reload?

AR short n long.JPG

You need the 2 different lowers .1 for 300bk and the larger 308 lower for the 308
But there are a few different 308 style lowers.Check this out at ar15.com
300 blackout is the best if you plan on suppressing it.Otherwise I would just do 7.62X39
If you plan on hunting with it there is the 6.5 and 6.8 calibers also

What are your reasons for starting out with the 2 calibers that you are considering? Why not start out with 5.56 so you can afford to shoot regularly and improve your skills? Are you aware that most shooters consider the .308 as heavy? Do you want the .308 for long distance shooting? Do you plan to shoot a lot at $1.00+ per round? Why the 300 blackout? Are you planning on hunting with a silencer? Do you mostly plan to hunt/shoot at 300 yards or less? Do you reload?

answers in red.!

What are your reasons for starting out with the 2 calibers that you are considering? Thinking about getting two because I can, and I think I can get them w/o background check right now. Why not start out with 5.56 so you can afford to shoot regularly and improve your skills? My finances are fine. My shooting skills are fine.
Are you aware that most shooters consider the .308 as heavy? Yes. Do you want the .308 for long distance shooting? Yes. & knockdown power at distance. Do you plan to shoot a lot at $1.00+ per round? No. Why the 300 blackout? I like heavy bullets, & don't plan this one for long range. Are you planning on hunting[?] I never mentioned hunting with this build. I would use my model 700's for that. [Getting] a silencer? On the 300 BLK, Yes. 308 not necessarily. Do you mostly plan to hunt/shoot at 300 yards or less? Shooting under 300 with the 300BLK yes, and 308 no. Again hunting not mentioned. Do you reload? Yes.

Last Edited:
Answers like that then you picked two great calibers.
Glad you didn't mind people asking silly questions but it's seems rare that most shooters haven't had a few ARs,lol
And if you get a suppressor for the 300 then get the adapters/flash hiders for both guns as you can use the same can on both.
Remember the 300 is from the 223/556 case so you can easily put that upper on that gun.And change the BOLT out and get a 6.5 or 6.8 upper too
Did someone mention these are like legos? And you can't build just one?
Hey have fun with these

ok. New question...
My wife has a 7mm-08 for a deer/elk rifle. Maybe it is crazy talk, but I just realized that maybe, just, maybe I could build my ar-10 into a 7mm-08 cal, instead of the .308. Is that Crazy?

I see it can be done by doing web searches, but is that a bad idea on a first build?

For the budget conscious builder
https://palmettostatearmory.com/

When an ad says "No BCG" that means bolt carrier group which is another $120 - $175 and up. Generally you will get a better deal buying a complete upper assembly or kit than buying each part individually. I was able to put together a AR-10 for under $700 buying a receiver assy and an upper assy but when I priced it out in parts I was over that just for the parts of the upper.

Another good way to go is rifle kit from Del-Ton.
http://www.del-ton.com/ar_15_kits_s/1.htm

At the moment AR-15s are plentiful on the used market and good deals are easy to find. Plus, the private party background check is not in force until 8/9/2015 so you can but one used and save the FFL fee (and have a rifle with no records).

I have one for sale if you decide to go used.
<broken link removed>

answers in red.!

What are your reasons for starting out with the 2 calibers that you are considering? Thinking about getting two because I can, and I think I can get them w/o background check right now. Why not start out with 5.56 so you can afford to shoot regularly and improve your skills? My finances are fine. My shooting skills are fine.
Are you aware that most shooters consider the .308 as heavy? Yes. Do you want the .308 for long distance shooting? Yes. & knockdown power at distance. Do you plan to shoot a lot at $1.00+ per round? No. Why the 300 blackout? I like heavy bullets, & don't plan this one for long range. Are you planning on hunting[?] I never mentioned hunting with this build. I would use my model 700's for that. [Getting] a silencer? On the 300 BLK, Yes. 308 not necessarily. Do you mostly plan to hunt/shoot at 300 yards or less? Shooting under 300 with the 300BLK yes, and 308 no. Again hunting not mentioned. Do you reload? Yes.

:s0140: It always cracks me up ask a simple question and instead of getting a answer get 20 questions questioning your question.

If you want a really good laugh ask a question about wanting a left handed Ar15.

as some have mentioned .308 was quite a bit heavier but the new DPMS G2 Makes a shorter one that is lighter . I don't own one yet but every since i first broke open a Ar10 and a Lr 308 I aways wondered why the bolt carrier group had to be so long making the rear of the receiver so long just extra weight and it did not feel as comphy to hold as a 15 but the G2 solve the length issue and with a light weight barrel its not much heavier than the 15 I have to give credit to DPMS on this one thinking outside the box. but like the other .308 receivers its still not compatable with the 15 receivers like the blackout except colt does make a .308 lower that is enterchangeable with the 15 uppers but with the cost of that you could just about buy 2 complete rifles one of each

Next question...

Looking for a 308 size lower that meets the following criteria (if there is one out there) (and in no particular order):

1.Grip in front of the mag well.
2. Changeable trigger guard.

I cannot seem to find these three things on ANY 308 lowers. Don't get me wrong I really like some of the ones out there. The only one I am finding with grip on the front of the mag well is Mega, but the trigger guard is fixed.

And if I had options with those two I would probably go with the one with the larger amount of flare on the mag well.

I like the Aero Precision (but no grip and fixed triger guard), the Armalite (but no grip), and Rock River Arms (but from what i can tell there is no grip), Palmetto State Armory (but no grip and fixed triger guard).

Some of the no trigger guard ones do have an enlarged trigger finger area though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top