JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, just looking for some input from other like minded individuals on my rifle build. I do have a complete rifle as of now, it started as a CMMG M4LE (16" barrel, carbine length gas system). I've made minor changes to rifle, such as a low profile gas block to accommodate a longer rail, new stock, mostly cosmetic. I'm looking to do some interior work, mainly to reduce felt recoil (buffer, spring, possibly a bcg, muzzlebrake). Looking for some input from experienced builders, shooters, and operators; any input is appreciated.

A 5.56 really doesn't have much recoil to begin with, but if you do want to bring the recoil down even more the only thing in an AR15 spec that will help is a muzzle brake. Just pick a quality one you like and make sure you index it properly. If you can't figure out how to do that, take it to a gunsmith to do it.
As far as buffers/ buffer springs are concerned, unless your rifle is prone to jamming I wouldn't change them, as they won't affect recoil at all, especially in a 5.56.
Other than that I would just get a free float hand guard and AMMO AMMO AMMO. Good luck.

That's good to hear about the buffers, I have had no functionality issues with my rifle. I'm definitely looking at muzzle devices now, just looking for the best of all worlds brake/comp/hider. I'm liking rainier arms tho most so far. And I'll post pics of the rifle when I figure out how to.

The smart thing to spend your $$$$ on would be lots of ammo.Soldiers all over the world go to kill others quite successfully with basic high quality M16s.

Look in the vortex flash hider, I one on an ar of mine.

In my opinion they are one of the best out there, and not too expensive.

As far as a muzzle brake or comp, to me that seems very unnecessary with the ar platform.

As other posters have said, the 5.56 doesn't have much recoil, I would go with a flash hider only.

Just my two cents, but I am no expert.

Q

In addition to the mid length gas and rifle gas, the vltor A5 assembly would also knock some felt recoil off. As Beefcake said the carbine gas system is not optimum for perceived felt recoil. Gas port size is also another factor, CMMG seems to be hit or miss on gas port sizes. Colt uses a .063 gas port for a carbine length gas system, any bigger and your just increasing wear and tear on components.

There are three main components that reduce felt recoil: 1: bolt carrier, 2) gas block, 3) compensator. If you want the lowest possible perceived recoil, and the fastest return to target, get a lightweight bolt carrier, an adjustable gas block tuned to your load and a compensator. I've used and can recommend both JP and Young Manufacturing for bolt carriers. For gas blocks, the same is true for Seekins Precision, JP and Syrac. for compensators, I can not tell the difference between Jerry Miculek, Cooley, SureFire and PRI. They are all great.

There is a 4th component mentioned in the posts above - the length of the gas system. I left it off the list because it can't be easily changed. The longer systems are generally less harsh (better), but I had a 16" JP with a carbine gas system that was pure silk so I would concentrate on the above before looking to change the length of your gas system.

The combination of these three parts is night and day different form a mil-spec AR. Anybody that tells you differently hasn't shot a rifle set up with all three. : )

I built this rifle with an 18 inch medium weight barrel, rifle length gas system and a Rainer Mini Comp.....when I went to test fire I thought it didn't cycle, first AR I ever shot that wasn't a carbine and it is the smoothest rock steady AR I have shot , stays on target like a 22 long rifle.
Keep looking and try a couple, it's obviously not because of the punishing recoil of 5.56 so ignore that smart *** noise

I thought about that as well, but it seems the regular gas system is most reliable but definitely dirtier. Plus with my low pro block w/ rail set up that wouldn't work without a whole new barrel set up.

A friend's wife said something about recoil and I told her to hold the rifle tighter to her shoulder.
I have never noticed much difference between any muzzle brake and any flash hider on an AR. Most notable is the barrel length and weight make for less recoil.

To those of you who say nothing should be done... until you've fired an AR with a BattleComp or similar muzzle brake (the BattleComp has the additional feature of not blowing the mustaches off your comrades), you just don't know how good it can be.

I've been doing some research because I plan on making an AR pistol soon...... you might find this interesting. Little expensive but it looks like it's a good product. I personally don't have any experience, but from what I her, JP Enterprises makes some good stuff.

Here is a link to the JPSCS
JP Rifles

I built this rifle with an 18 inch medium weight barrel, rifle length gas system and a Rainer Mini Comp.....when I went to test fire I thought it didn't cycle, first AR I ever shot that wasn't a carbine and it is the smoothest rock steady AR I have shot , stays on target like a 22 long rifle.
Keep looking and try a couple, it's obviously not because of the punishing recoil of 5.56 so ignore that smart *** noise

Interesting thread as I'm considering options for a new top end build - what weight buffer did you use? Thanks -

RKBA

Interesting thread as I'm considering options for a new top end build - what weight buffer did you use? Thanks -

RKBA

Good luck on your new project, I used a standard rifle buffer and spring, M855 nato to Tula and 2 reloads one using IMR 3031 and the other using CFE 223, to date not one malfunction

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top