JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The best way to reduce felt recoil of an AR is to shoot a heavier cartridge for a bit, like a .30-06 or 300 WM. After that you won't notice a thing.

5.56 + recoil doesn't belong in the same sentence. They don't kick.

you want recoil, shoot a .338 magnum of either flavor, or a 50BMG.

hell even a .270 has a decent kick.

my buddy has a 5.56 pistol that I shoot single handed. They really don't kick.

I'm not saying they kick like mule, all I'm saying is that they do have recoil and it can be reduced.Like I said I'm not a total noob, I just haven't built a bunch of rifles. My concern is more with muzzle rise than recoil anyways. I've shot plenty big bore rifles, I'm not whining about the kick being too much to handle like most of you seem to think I am.
I have been looking into comps and brakes, I think I'll bite the bullet and purchase a battlecomp.

Use a bi-pod or a fore-grip and muzzle rise won't be an issue.

For a muzzle brake you might want something that exhausts upwards to combat rise. otherwise your standard type brake is going to be pulling on your rifle.

I guess people aren't understanding what the forum topic was truly meant for, I was simply looking for ideas for parts that might help with recoil and muzzle rise. Not looking for smart *** or overly obvious responses.

There is another option but it requires a barrel and gas tube change...

go to a mid length gas system. That will reduce felt recoil and reduce how hard your BCG slams back which would theoretically reduce wear on the carrier.

means you would need a barrel made for a mid length gas system, and a mid length gas tube.

If a mid length system floats your boat and your gun isn't built yet, go for it. It'll be slightly more front heavy and will require more weight in a longer hand guard, which could conceivably mitigate muzzle rise very slightly, but in the end is just more weight... You spend a lot more time holding the weapon than shooting it.

But if the weapon is already built, absobubbleguminglutely hell no. Recoil is the equal and opposing reaction of bullet and expanding gas blasting out of the cartridge casing and down the bore. The carrier is a secondary mechanism that doesn't even begin to move rearward until the weapon is already recoiling into your shoulder. A slight reduction (which is debatable anyway) in carrier velocity isn't going to reduce felt recoil.

Just a multimillion dollar gimmick, m'fraid.

How would you know my stance is wrong or that I shoulder my rifle wrong? Like I said prior, this was meant for parts and accessories not so much you're personal opinions on my shooting.

How would you know my stance is wrong or that I shoulder my rifle wrong? Like I said prior, this was meant for parts and accessories not so much you're personal opinions on my shooting.

Point taken. Just trying to help before you spent more money. I was going thru the same stuff when I started shooting my AR. I listened to what others suggested and it worked for me. Good luck to you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I've been shooting this particular AR for almost 3 years, I'm just looking to better it. I can only be as good as the rifle will allow. There is a reason why match rifles and 3gun rifles are built up differently.

Besides a comp (not that a 5.56 kicks much), one of the best upgrades is geissele trigger or at least an ALG from his wife. If you are already in the interior of the rifle it's a very good upgrade.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top