JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, just looking for some input from other like minded individuals on my rifle build. I do have a complete rifle as of now, it started as a CMMG M4LE (16" barrel, carbine length gas system). I've made minor changes to rifle, such as a low profile gas block to accommodate a longer rail, new stock, mostly cosmetic. I'm looking to do some interior work, mainly to reduce felt recoil (buffer, spring, possibly a bcg, muzzlebrake). Looking for some input from experienced builders, shooters, and operators; any input is appreciated.

Usually the milspec stuff is all you'll need. I only go about changing parts when I get failures. But, if you wanna throw away some money, you may try a hydraulic buffer. At ~$100 I think they are too rich for my blood.

I am a stickler with triggers so I always install a Geissele.

Well I'm looking into different buffers and not sure where to go with it, I believe mine is just a standard one but I'm wondering if an h2 or h3 will help with felt recoil while still staying reliable even with cheaper brass ammo (pmc, American eagle, etc.). I'm going to purchase a heavy duty buffer spring to go along with it. Also I'm curious as to opinions on different brakes.

@Simon99 I've been looking at battlecomps, Rainer, and a few others. I don't like the look of the pronged brakes/hiders, so other variations are better.

Well the flaming pig is set up for an sbr, it does work decent on a 16" as well. The pros, it reduces felt recoil/muzzle rise, it helps with flash; cons, it's heavy!, very loud and causes some blow back.

It's not about the amount of recoil, it's about reducing it. A good shooter understands that he is only as good as his weapon will perform.
And I'm not completely inexperienced by any means, I'm not just going to take all opinions and run with them. I'm looking for a bunch of opinions so I can best make a decision for myself, therefore it's "help with my AR build".

Basically I'm looking for tips on different muzzle devices, buffers, bcgs, etc. I appreciate any input, that being said lets keep it coming. Hopefully more specific with parts.

But won't a buffer that is to heavy cause cycling issues?

No. Ive never seen it happen with several rifles so far. I'm sure there is a point in which it can but if that happens the barrel port can be opened up slightly.
The main reason for making the carrier and buffer heavier is to slow down the opening of the bolt. That lowers the pressure in the barrel that allows the case to extract easier because the bullet is further down the barrel before the bolt opens. Most ar's are severly over gassed. That makes for positive extraction but it slams the buffer back and forth harder then it needs to be and puts a lot of stress on the buffer tube and extractor. slowing down this entire process is a good thing for everyone except the cyclic rate is reduced which is only a factor if your shooting full auto at the enemy. Most of us do not care about that in civilian use.

If you want to try real recoil get a G3 clone. As a shooter of that and full house 12 GA shotties I don't get how reduced 5.56 recoil is an issue.. just learn how to shoot it

So would an h or h2 buffer do the job? I've also heard of different mixtures being in the buffers with the sliding weights, such as tungsten powder. Any input on that?
@blitzkrieg why do you insist on making it negative? There is a reason why military and spec ops use the best gear, regardless of how good they know how to shoot. The better your weapon performs the better you can perform. Lighter recoil on any weapon will help with maintaining a good sight picture while engaging a target, faster target acquisition is always a good thing.

I've only built a couple AR's but I'd think if it's cycling well, leave the buffer, spring and BCG alone. For felt recoil, try compensators (vs a flash hider) and maybe a cushioned stock pad like the magpul

I use the H2 and a FA BCG. I wouldn't worry to much about the spring. If the gun starts to short cycle, there is usually another problem. Personally, I already think the design itself lends it to very low recoil. YMMV

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top