JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious what kind of mushrooms these are? Growing in the front yard and are different than any others I have seen growing. I know there are a few mushroom hunters on this site that could help me out:D

IMG_6433_zps82e44bd8.jpg IMG_6434_zps58c45261.jpg

Even if it's a known edible I wouldn't eat one out of the yard. I've heard they easily absorb chemicals/pesticides etc.
I have the same type in my yard and have wondered about the type as well. They look like something you could eat for sure.

Without a view of the underside I can't help........and may not be able to even with the underside view. Seeing it in my hands, different ages, spore print as a final determining factor.....and then it might not be worth the effort at that point even.

And YES, I wish all people considered all mushroom poisonous, it would make the woods this time of year, and in spring, that much more enjoyable!;)

OLDNEWBIE.....There are a couple of varieties I pick from lawns this time of year that are quite tasty, of course they are from lawns I maintain all year and I know what goes on them.

I used to collect a bunch of different fungus from the woods and yards, and take the time to figure out what they were. I tried a bunch that were edible, and a lot of those were not worth the effort. Now I stick to a few that are easy to find and identify, and marvel at ALL the others I see when foraging for the few I keep.

Mike

The problem with mushrooms is, mis identify and you will die.
Remember the people that came down 84 a couple decades ago.
Ate bad ones and had total liver failure. Stick with what you are 100% positive of. There isn't enough food value in any of them to take the risk.

The problem with mushrooms is, mis identify and you will die.
Remember the people that came down 84 a couple decades ago.
Ate bad ones and had total liver failure. Stick with what you are 100% positive of. There isn't enough food value in any of them to take the risk.

I've got to disagree with you Taku. I've been a Mycophile for close to 50 years. Started with my dad in Utah, (not a great place for a variety of fungus for sure), did a lot of traveling to the wetter states. I've done a bunch of reading and studying, hunting and eating. Every fall and spring is a magical time for me.

While there are mushroom varieties out there that will kill you dead, there are many more varieties that will only, maybe, make you wish you were dead, if you know what I mean, for a few days. LOL

You bring up those folks that thought they were getting "Straw Mushrooms" but instead got "Death Caps". That was a bad mistake on their part as they broke major rules of mushroom gathering, kind of like breaking one or three of the basic rule of gun handling. Weird thing is, in this part of the country there are very few, only three that I can think of, mushrooms that are DEADLY. The Death Cap the Destroying Angel and two varieties of Galerina. There may be more, I haven't gone through all 756 mushrooms in my book that covers North America.

There's a whole bunch O' fungus in the NW that contain psilocybin, in varying amounts, that most books, even if they show them list them as "Poisonous". And there are some others mushroom that contain psychoactive substances other than psilocybin that Native Americans purportedly ate for spiritual purposes.

That's probably more than you wanted to know, eh? Sometimes I just get tired of the misinformation surrounding something that is so crazy prevalent here in the Great Northwest! Sure wish I knew as much about fire arms, but THAT little hobby has only been with me for a little over two years.

Mike

I've got to disagree with you Taku. I've been a Mycophile for close to 50 years. Started with my dad in Utah, (not a great place for a variety of fungus for sure), did a lot of traveling to the wetter states. I've done a bunch of reading and studying, hunting and eating. Every fall and spring is a magical time for me.

While there are mushroom varieties out there that will kill you dead, there are many more varieties that will only, maybe, make you wish you were dead, if you know what I mean, for a few days. LOL

You bring up those folks that thought they were getting "Straw Mushrooms" but instead got "Death Caps". That was a bad mistake on their part as they broke major rules of mushroom gathering, kind of like breaking one or three of the basic rule of gun handling. Weird thing is, in this part of the country there are very few, only three that I can think of, mushrooms that are DEADLY. The Death Cap the Destroying Angel and two varieties of Galerina. There may be more, I haven't gone through all 756 mushrooms in my book that covers North America.

There's a whole bunch O' fungus in the NW that contain psilocybin, in varying amounts, that most books, even if they show them list them as "Poisonous". And there are some others mushroom that contain psychoactive substances other than psilocybin that Native Americans purportedly ate for spiritual purposes.

That's probably more than you wanted to know, eh? Sometimes I just get tired of the misinformation surrounding something that is so crazy prevalent here in the Great Northwest! Sure wish I knew as much about fire arms, but THAT little hobby has only been with me for a little over two years.

Mike

Well stated.

Mike

I know there are many edible ones.
Morels, chantrells, but I dont know enough about any beyond those to trust them. I eat lots of chantrells because the are so abundant in the fall.
There is another big white fungus that grows on the side of old stumps and logs and even trees that people pick, but I have yet to eat any beyond the 2 mentioned.
I worked with a guy at tek for a while that was always taking spore prints. He knew the good and bad about most all of them.
I did know what the tall spindly ones in my horse barn were...:rolleyes: Had to keep them knocked down to keep the neighbor kids from getting them. :D

I worked with one of the people that ate the "death caps". It was his mom that picked them and cooked them for dinner. She was from Viet Nam and thought they looked exactly like the mushrooms she had picked as a kid there. They were quite lucky to all survive. They were flown to 5 or 6 different hospitals around the country for emergency liver transplants.
There are far more safe to eat mushrooms here than deadly but it's not worth the risk if you don't know what you are picking. If you really want to grow and eat mushrooms, I suggest finding some of the "kits" that you can but from places like Fungi Perfecti. They produce well and you know for sure that what you are eating is safe. Many of them can be transferred outside afterwards and will continue to produce mushrooms if you prepare the location correctly.

Ya all got to me with this thread.
Just sitting down to a big bowl of hot and sour soup, totally full of mushrooms :) more like mushrooms with hot and sour broth....... good stuff.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top