JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I worked with one of the people that ate the "death caps". It was his mom that picked them and cooked them for dinner. She was from Viet Nam and thought they looked exactly like the mushrooms she had picked as a kid there. They were quite lucky to all survive. They were flown to 5 or 6 different hospitals around the country for emergency liver transplants.
There are far more safe to eat mushrooms here than deadly but it's not worth the risk if you don't know what you are picking. If you really want to grow and eat mushrooms, I suggest finding some of the "kits" that you can but from places like Fungi Perfecti. They produce well and you know for sure that what you are eating is safe. Many of them can be transferred outside afterwards and will continue to produce mushrooms if you prepare the location correctly.

Yeah, without a transplant it was certain death for them.
All I remember about that is, it made the news big time and they were somewhere up on hwy 84.
Made us be pretty careful what we ate.

I only like the little button mushrooms I get in a can from super walmart.. They are made in china!!

Probably grown in human waste. Like their shrimp are fed.
Its why I won't buy anything from there period.
I used to like shrimp, but now only eat pacific or gulf shrimp.

I've been a Mycophile for close to 50 years.

Fellow Mycophile?

Isn't there some sort of Mycophile registry you're supported to be on so that the public knows who and where you are, and aren't Mycophiles supposed to not get any closer than 500' from fungi? ;)

Probably grown in human waste. Like their shrimp are fed.
Its why I won't buy anything from there period.
I used to like shrimp, but now only eat pacific or gulf shrimp.

That is one of MANY reasons I will NEVER knowingly eat ANY foodstuffs listed as coming from China in any way, shape, or form... I won't even feed my pets anything from there.

Isn't there some sort of Mycophile registry you're supported to be on so that the public knows who and where you are, and aren't Mycophiles supposed to not get any closer than 500' from fungi? ;)

That is one of MANY reasons I will NEVER knowingly eat ANY foodstuffs listed as coming from China in any way, shape, or form... I won't even feed my pets anything from there.

Yeah the b-turds killed over 12,000 dogs here with that melamine crap.

Two of my favorites are the Chantrelle (fall) and Morels (spring) are very easy to spot and identify.

I need to educate myself on the Chantrelle's. Every day I go hunting around Alsea, as I pass through the town, there is a little store with a big camping cooler out front with a sign that says, "Fresh Chantrelle Mushrooms for sale." So I assume the person is getting them from the area. Are they hard to find or hard to find a good amount of them?

Redcap, what do they taste like? Are they good for addition to meats, or soups and potlucks, or are they best cooked and served alone? As in lightly cooking them in olive oil or butter?

Redcap, what do they taste like? Are they good for addition to meats, or soups and potlucks, or are they best cooked and served alone? As in lightly cooking them in olive oil or butter?

I can give you my opinion? I'm currently sitting on about 5#s, well in the garage at least. They are a pain in the but to clean, unless you're very picky about only taking the cleanest ones from the forest floor. They are like little sponges so if you try to rinse with water the really soak it up. When you put them in the pan to cook a bunch of water will come out, A BUNCH, and they will boil in that 'till it evaporates. The true connoisseurs would never put water on them, they would have a "Mushroom Brush" to clean them with. I leave mine in a basket or cardboard box open to the air in the cool garage. You'd be amazed at how long they'll last. A little thing I've done with them this year for a first is put the cut up chanterelles in a nonstick skillet and gently warm them until they render moisture, drain and put on a paper towel to absorb more moisture. Then cook/sauté with butter/oil if that was the plan. With any wild mushroom it is recommended to cook well. Unlike store bought, just to be on the safe side you should never eat wild mushrooms raw.

As far as taste goes, it's a personal thing. When they're fresh in the basket/bag they smell of apricots. I don't personally think they taste worth all the hassle, of course I'll be having a plate of chanterelles and eggs in a bit. For Wifey and me the hunt is a big part, there's magic in that forest. If you're a hunter you know what I mean. Another part is the giving, for some reason there are people that go absolutely NUTs about them. People that have no desire to get out and gather chanterelles but love eating them. It doesn't seem to matter to them how dirty they are, they get right in there and clean 'em up, process and put them in the freezer.

They are very easy to find and easy to get a bunch, especially this year. Google up some pics, print them, and get into the woods. The woods above Waldport should be loaded with them, You would do best to get more than a mile or two from pavement, we're 8-12 miles where we go. There would be some King Boletus in areas just above sand and barely into forest down there too.

As far as potluck, I'd be hesitant to put any wild mushrooms in dishes that people unknown to me would be eating. Though chanterelles are probably the safest wild mushroom there is you just never know what kind of sensitivities people may have.

Enjoy!

Mike

Same thing as op?

IMG_20131021_115726_160.jpg

IMG_20131021_115711_704.jpg

IMG_20131021_115726_160.jpg

IMG_20131021_115711_704.jpg

Chantrelles are an excellent all-around mushroom. I use them in most of my cooking when available and this year has been an absolute delight. Even battered and deep-fried, they are great

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top