JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i have decided to hunt with a mosin nagant 91/30 and i have a few ? for the experts. I have done a few modifications. The bolt has been made over, the barrel has been cut to 20in and threaded with a jp brake installed. i am shooting 7.62x54 180 grain softpoint winchester ammo. So what can i expect from this rifle in this state? How far a shot is to far? and what kind of knock down power do you think.. Powder burn? velosity? I have changed alot. the lower pics will be the new stock when i get the proto type adjustable trigger with safety to play with from tmney triggers.

Wow! Nice work.

I would head to a shooting range and see if anyone has a chronograph that would let you run a few rounds through so you can get an accurate count of velocity, etc. Or you can input that info into a ballistic program and get velocity, etc.

I feel it's better to shoot and chrony as opposed to quoting ballistics numbers...it's also more fun and more realistic. But the software gives you a ballpark.

Well, you've tossed some barrel harmonics out the door by shortening the barrel. Do your best bedding...no, do better than your best bedding job in that new stock or you'll not recover the accuracy it had when unmolested. What was it shooting before it was chopped? I had a chart that shows the range+bullet drop for the barrels once they're shortened.

No, I'm not a purist. I have a couple bubbas myself.

EDIT: Whoah. I totally snipped the compliment part; love the stock. Did you weld the brake on, or is it threaded?

the barrel is threaded and was done by tornado ind, The new stock will not only be glassbed but it has been drilled out for the piller bedding i have. I also have replaced the slotted screws with the allen kit for max lock onto the pillars.also the barrel will free float, by using a 12mm deep socket some sand paper and sliding a dollar bill back and forth under the barrel till it slides nicely without hanging up. This one has not been shot yet, it came from classic arms and the bore was rated nra ex. I know the powder burns to 24 in. so i am expecting a muzzle flash. i am hoping to get out to a 300 yard shot, but i dought i would shoot past 200. I am hoping to get a 30/06 punch.

According to wikipedia (yea, I know it can be rubbish but they usually get numbers right) the 7.62x54r cartridge is in the same power class with the 30.06, I know my shoulder always felt about the same firing it as it did with an .06 :)

I agree with Grizzly that some range time with a chrono and a calculator is going to be the only way to know for sure. Besides, gives you time to find out how far you're accurate out to, it should be a great hunting partner.

nice work!

i'm no expert but from what i have read up on them go with what torpedoman had said especially with the barrel chopped you have lots of knock down power but losing some of the barrel harmonics not mention it just does not have the same load as a 30.06 so you may be pushing it for longer rangers with more dropage and loss of energy than a .06 at longer ranges so that would put it in the same bar park with a .308

Brother shot a good sized doe years ago with that round. Took a chunk out of her back you could put your fist into...she didn't take one step.
Always have thought it was a good one!

so it looks like i need to find someone with a chroni.. any volunteers in a few weeks? i need to know what my range is before this hunting season. my shooting range that is local to me is only 100 yards so i will start there. i have a bullet drop scope rectal that will help me guess later.

Nice job!!! The shortened barrel will lose some velocity, but may not be too bad. Barrel harmonics? Nope can't agree with those statements, and you are on the right track with the stock bedding. Back in the 60s when milsurp stuff was practically free, I built several 03s, and a couple of 1917s, so I was able to play, a lot! My favorite I use to this day, and has taken many deer from 75 to 375 yards over a 40 year span. No elk thus far, as I haven't hunted in Elk country. An 03A3 scoped, and barrel was cut to 20" At that time my hunting area was very brushy. The other sporters? Too purtty to drop or run through the brush with. I'm sure the muzzle brake will tame the recoil a bit more than my shorty 30-06! Nice touch. Only downside might be, the amount of money invested, probably makes it a work of art? My shorty meat gun does just that, and will keep five rounds (handloads) within an inch at 100, and under 4" at 400 yards. At the extream distance, the 180 grain Sierra still expands pretty good, even though the velocity has to be way down, it still hammers those bib Nevada Mulies

I have not shot this past 100 yards yet, but at 100 yards on a bench with no coffee and some luck it will do 1/4 groups. I really like the 3lbs. pull Timinny trigger with the reminton 700 style safety on top. It is also in the laminate wood stock now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top