JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Guys/Gals,

Found this old rifle in my Uncles garage, since he apparently forgot about it I decided to take it home with me.(With his blessing of course) My problem is that I have no idea what the caliber of the rifle is, or even who made it. All I see are serial numbers so I decided to put it up here in the hopes that someone would be able to identify it. Thanks in advance!

Sorry if the pics aren't very good, took them with a phone camera.

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

Looked up the model, very close but there are a few things that are different. This could be because they are either missing or have been replaced. Namely rear sight, the stock, and the little ring behind the bolt. Might be the same manufacturer though. Thank for pointing me in the right direction.

Looks like a Swiss Schmidt & Ruben or similar - they have been making straight pull bolt guns since 1889 or so. Not sure what cal you have there - the K-31 (carbine model) was in 7.5 x 55 Swiss. A friend had a sporterized K31 that was in .308 if I recall correctly but it might have been .270 - its been more than 12 years since I've seen the gun.

Good luck in your search for more info...

Looks to be the right model but the stock looks different on this gun versus the ones I've seen on google. Must just be a different version.

Probably "sporterized" with an aftermarket or modified stock. People do it to old military weapons all the time. Might want to verify the caliber though before shooting it :D

Probably "sporterized" with an aftermarket or modified stock. People do it to old military weapons all the time. Might want to verify the caliber though before shooting it :D

new to firearms so I had to look up what "sporterized" meant. Indeed this does seem like a sporterized version. Thank you again everyone for all the input.

It is a sporterized 1889. I have a sporterized 1911 that has been rechambered to .308. If you don't know for sure the round it fires you can cast the chamber with melted crayon. Thats what I had to do. The crayon shrinks 100th of an inch and is pretty damned accurate.

It is a sporterized 1889. I have a sporterized 1911 that has been rechambered to .308. If you don't know for sure the round it fires you can cast the chamber with melted crayon. Thats what I had to do. The crayon shrinks 100th of an inch and is pretty damned accurate.

Thanks for the tip, working on getting this gun back to operating condition. Can't wait to shoot it!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top