Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Help with identifying make/model of this rifle

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by pdx225, Feb 3, 2012.

1. pdx225

pdx225 Hillsboro Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Hey Guys/Gals,

Found this old rifle in my Uncles garage, since he apparently forgot about it I decided to take it home with me.(With his blessing of course) My problem is that I have no idea what the caliber of the rifle is, or even who made it. All I see are serial numbers so I decided to put it up here in the hopes that someone would be able to identify it. Thanks in advance!

Sorry if the pics aren't very good, took them with a phone camera.

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

2. k7grc

k7grc Banks, Or Active Member

pdx225 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. pdx225

Looked up the model, very close but there are a few things that are different. This could be because they are either missing or have been replaced. Namely rear sight, the stock, and the little ring behind the bolt. Might be the same manufacturer though. Thank for pointing me in the right direction.

4. pdx225

Found the model on google images it's a Schmidt-Rubin Mdl 1889 Cal 7.5mm. Thank you again K7!

5. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a Swiss Schmidt & Ruben or similar - they have been making straight pull bolt guns since 1889 or so. Not sure what cal you have there - the K-31 (carbine model) was in 7.5 x 55 Swiss. A friend had a sporterized K31 that was in .308 if I recall correctly but it might have been .270 - its been more than 12 years since I've seen the gun.

Good luck in your search for more info...

6. pdx225

Looks to be the right model but the stock looks different on this gun versus the ones I've seen on google. Must just be a different version.

7. Toxic6

Toxic6 Higher then a PDX hipster (~10,000 ft higher) Active Member

Probably "sporterized" with an aftermarket or modified stock. People do it to old military weapons all the time. Might want to verify the caliber though before shooting it :D

8. pdx225

new to firearms so I had to look up what "sporterized" meant. Indeed this does seem like a sporterized version. Thank you again everyone for all the input.

9. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

It's a Swiss 1889 that's been bubba'd, or sporterized. You may be able to find wood for it on Gunbroker or the swissrifle forum.

10. joeroket

joeroket Everett,Wa. Active Member

It is a sporterized 1889. I have a sporterized 1911 that has been rechambered to .308. If you don't know for sure the round it fires you can cast the chamber with melted crayon. Thats what I had to do. The crayon shrinks 100th of an inch and is pretty damned accurate.

11. pdx225

Thanks for the tip, working on getting this gun back to operating condition. Can't wait to shoot it!

12. joeroket

joeroket Everett,Wa. Active Member

No problem. I love shooting mine. In some ways I wish it was chambered for the swiss round but .308 is much more readily available.