JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm looking to put new sites on my Glock but don't have the experience nor the tool. Is there anyone that can help me understand the process? Videos are just that so just trying to hear from people that have done it. I'd rather learn and do it then pay $30+ to have them installed and learn nothing.

Thanks!

You should use a tool, I've always just gently hammered them out. The rear sight goes in one way and out the other.
You will need to glock front sight tool for the front sight though. Some sights come with them.
If you have a glock with a pressed in front sight you'll have to just rip it out and toss it away.

If you do hammer it out I would use a nylon punch of some kind so you don't bugger them up.

I'd create an account and seek help over at GlockTalk.com. Those folks are dedicated to the platform and you'll get an in-depth walkthrough and how-to in order to really learn and become your own minor armorer.

some sights come with installation tools (nut driver for front and small punch for rear).

you need bench vise, if you are going to punch out the old rear sight. it will make the job so much easier.

what sights are you replacing with?

@nativeo

I have a commercial grade sight pusher and the front sight tool if you want to swing by my place some evening. I have a kiddo with lung issues so I'd ask you to wear a mask while here and to sanatize your hands.

It takes about 5 minutes to do the swap. I'm about 3 miles east of Battle Ground Lake.

It's actually pretty easy with a punch as well (unless they are Tritium, then a pusher is a good idea) and a generic front sight tool goes for about 5 - 7 dollars on Amazon.

If you do it yourself, I highly recommend green Lock Tight (wicking) for the front sight. After making sure the sight is square to the longitudinal axis of the slide and centered a drop on the nut makes sure it stays in place until the time you want to take if off with a tool.

Last Edited:
All the green locktite i ever saw was permanent grade stuff. Like heat with a torch to remove or use a gear puller if applicable. Do they make a non-permanent green variety?

Red is permanent, needs heat for removal. Blue is removable with tools. Green is wicking, so you can apply it to previously assembled items, it has the same strength as blue.

henkel-loctite-290-threadlocker-green-50ml_431x431.jpg

Beyond the basic, primative install, think ahead a little, i.e. there is a better than even chance
that you'll still need to drift the sight and tune it for your ammo. The $30 install tool(s) you
find on Ebay are simply clamp/jig with screw adjusters which allow you to fine tune your
sight movement within the dovetail without fear of scratching. This is MUCH better than
the tapping-by-pressure method (which I've done).

Then, when your stimulus check arrives, you can opt to upgrade to a official Glock armorer's
sight pusher for 3x the cost ... to go with your Glock gun mat and baseball cap if you want.

The ebay variant I bought years ago worked so well and adaptable to my SIG and Ruger
pistols so I'm happy but I see the price may have gone up (now $40)

The front sight removal tool is an oddity and really a modified external hex. I wasn't able
to fabricate a substitute. Fortunately (as someone said above) my tri sights came with
the little wrench tool)

I've got this one and it worked very well the few times I've had to use it.

For the front sight nut, I bought this and same experience.

:) that Amazon one (currently unavailable) looks identical to the ebay one I have.
local seller (near Bremerton, WA) so I felt inclined to support them. worked out well

The front sight needs the 'tool' (hex driver) or a push pin (or needle) to 'pull' the wedge if that is what is used fasten it to the slide. The rear can be drifted with a punch but the Glock tool is nicer to use to adjust the windage. While different heights can be obtained for both front and rear sights, a rear adjustable is doable for different loads or calibers. It is after all your choice. Locktite is your friend (most of the time).

YouTube glock store site installation. Lenny will show you how to remove and install without a site tool.

I have used a nylon hammer for rear site removal and a front site tool to remove the front site screw. I also use red lactate. Don't over do it with the front site screw or you will snap the head off.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top