JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My grandson lives with us now and he's going to be 11 in May. I am looking for a single shot 22 with iron sights for his first gun anybody have any attaboys or watchouts for particular makes or models they can relate from personal history? thanks guys

Dave,
My advice is to buy an old Winchester model 67 or 68 or Remington 514. Yes they are 45+ years old. You can find good ones here occasionally and on other forums too. They will run you about the same money as a new one but the old ones have quality that can't be beat. Walnut stocks, excellent machining, excellent bluing, etc. Generally they have better triggers as well. Excellent accuracy.
I'm not saying a new Marlin or Chipmunk would be bad but my experience with the newer .22's is nowdays they have almost a throwaway quality about them. Guys aren't inspired to hang onto them for a lifetime. I've tossed a couple old Marlins....but I have three .22 Winchester bolt actions that I would never sell. They are older than me but beautiful. I'm planning on passing them to my grandson someday. Hopefully he and your son feel the same way. Good luck !

I would step up a little, I have an 11 yr old daughter that started shooting at 9. I was afraid whe would get bored easily with a single shot so I started her with my Ruger 10/22. She has now stepped up and shoots her own browning buckmark pistol at steel matches and enjoys it very much.

For the price the Savage Mark II is as good as it gets in my book. The Rascal is also fantastic if he is small, it's a single shot that is still well built and even comes with the accutrigger, a HUGE plus in my book. By 11 I'd be looking at a Mark, it's a gun that could be grown with, and since it's a bolt you can always easily make it single shot at the start. Our group of friends has a lot of 7,8 and 10 year olds in it, and the rascal is great for the younger boys, but the older boys really are better sized for the Mark II.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top