JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was wanting to get some suggestions of guns that I should look at. I am looking for a piece that I can carry at work, business casual, and everyday carry. I have a young son so I want a pistol with an ambidextrous thumb safety (I don't like the idea of him climbing on me or me carrying him with a fun that doesn't have a safety). I am medium build but would like a full size 9mm if it possible to conceal.

I have looked at the px4 and the XDM. Thanks for any suggestions. I hope to get out to the range and rent some of the guns before choosing one.

Its hard to find an XDM with a button safety. Revolvers make great carry guns. the heavy trigger pull (5-7lbs) is enough safety for me. I also have a 9month old son. 99% of holsters will cover the trigger making it almost impossible for him to make it go off. but kids can do some amazing stuff. I carry either ruger SP101, Diamond back DB9, or an XD sub compact 40. The diamond back is a really sweet gun. it weighs 11oz. very small easy conceal 6+1 9mm. for around $350. no external safety just a long trigger pull.... the last thing you want to happen if you had to use your gun is to forget to flip the safety. Todays carry guns have internal safetys and some outside ones like the XD/glock trigger safety. And i bobbed hammer or concealed hammer are really the ideal carry gun. Pros..... a .357 or a .38 will stop anyone. nothing to think about , pull the trigger its going to go off( no jams, stove pipes, double feeds ext) CONS.... 5-6 shots, kinda heavy(but with the right holster you will get used to it) ..... there is my 2 cents. Also i suggest a heavy duty carry belt. check out ted blocker in tigard. there good people, and have awesome belts and holsters

Yea I second that. I carry a 45acp but my wife change from a auto to a revolver, Taurus 357 because she would not put a round in the chamber of the auto when she was riding her horse. she was afraid that it would go off if she was thrown from the horse and landed wrong. she uses a IWC and you can not even see the gun.
P. S. as for concealing your chosen firearm I have a 45 ACP that I IWB carry every day in a Crossbreed holster and no one knows i have it on, no coats or vest works well you can fine some vids on youtube if you are looking.

+1 Everything stromith said. There is a couple of very light 38/357 5-rnd revolvers that weight around 16oz loaded. As he said trigger pull is a bit heavy and long but smooth. Spend ~5 mins dry firing 2-3 times a week and you'll be GTG. I personally carry a SW360. With pockets guns it is helpful to also have a laser pointer so keep that in mind. Bobbed hammers are good, but mine has an exposed hammer and I have yet to have a problem with it.

My advice would be to go to the gun show at the expo this weekend. Yeah, it's kind of a rip off on parking and admission, but then you can get your grubby mitts on every gun there. See what feels good in your hand. Compare a few side by side, looking at differences in dimensions and weight. That way you can narrow down to a few you actually want to rent at the range. It's some pretty cheap research, and you might even find something you like that surprises you.

Thanks for the advise. I wasn't looking for a revolver at this time. I looked at the XDM and I would think that the grip safety should make the gun safe for my purposes. I know that it is highly unlikely that he would be able to do anything that would case the gun to fire if something ever came close then I wouldn't fell as comfortable carrying the gun all the time.

I am probably going to pass on the revolvers for right now.

Take a look at the M&P pistols, they can be had with thumb-safeties, mag disconnects, and I think ones with internal locks are still available. I have both a M&P 40 full size and a 40c. I can carry the full size, but I have to be way more careful when bending over because of the substantially longer grip. Both pistols have been 100% reliable, AND they're "Made in America"!

i would take a used generation III glock 19 over just about any other handgun for general concealed carry, new or used. the odds of finding one new are slim to none, with the rep the gen IVs have... (right or wrong, i won't debate it)

these days, for a new pistol, looks like the M&Ps are where it's at.

as to caliber... 9mm is going to be a lot easier to shoot well, offers the highest magazine capacity, and is perfectly adequate for sufficient penetration.

For comfort and concealability, I like the Kahr. Big enough to be comfortable in the hand and small enough to conceal. No external safety though.

If your set on an Auto go with the springfield. The sub compact is great !!! I had a glock 27 . but i didnt like it. it just didnt fit me, but it might fit you. there are great guns. there is a reason that most police carry a glock. but i like the XD. you can get an XD or an XD-M(few more fetures, and a match grade barrel) check out buds gun shop online. they have a great selection and good prices. or run over to keiths sporting goods on the east side. i think someone also mentioned going to the gun show this weekend. great idea

STI GP5

ambi controls including safeties..... check

hi cap 9mm...... check

can put safety on in DA mode, one of the most accurate guns ive ever shot, you can get a comp-tac holster for the gp6 and it will fit. the two samples that i've seen are totally reliable and have great triggers. AND you'll be the only one of your friends thats got one.

OR you could pick up a 3rd gen S&W like a 5903 or 5906

I carry a Glock 27 with a full size high cap second mag. I have two ways to carry, inside the waist and ankle based on what I am wearing. All I can say is spend a lot of time comparing and handling the pieces. There is a reason that a lot of cops carry a 27 .....one is that it doesn't have the grip safety.

So forget all that you just read and go to a gun store or go to a range and find which gun fits YOU best.
I swear ,one of these threads needs to become a stickey.

Anything "I" or anyone else has to say about the gun "YOU" need to carry is worthless.

YOU need to find something that fits YOU.I don't like Tauruses,but some on here swear by them.
If you shoot it better than any other gun,my opinion is futile.

Most guns and calibers are more than adequate for self defense..... as long as YOU can do your part with shot placement.
A huge 44mag or 454 Casul is worthless if you flinch or can't hold it steady enough to aim it.But a 22LR is very deadly if you can control the gun and place all shots exactly where you want them.

Find the gun that best fits you,your hands and abilities. Then come ask questions about reliability for that particular weapon.
As much as some of the self professed experts would like to say they can,we can not pick the perfect gun for "YOU"

Good luck.

So forget all that you just read and go to a gun store or go to a range and find which gun fits YOU best.

Anything "I" or anyone else has to say about the gun "YOU" need to carry is worthless.

YOU need to find something that fits YOU.I don't like Tauruses,but some on here swear by them.

Most guns and calibers are more than adequate for self defense..... as long as YOU can do your part with shot placement.
A huge 44mag or 454 Casul is worthless if you flinch or can't hold it steady enough to aim it.But a 22LR is very deadly if you can control the gun and place all shots exactly where you want them.

Find the gun that best fits you,your hands and abilities. Then come ask questions about reliability for that particular weapon.
As much as some of the self professed experts would like to say they can,we can not pick the perfect gun for "YOU"

Good luck.
There's a lot of truth to the above quote......as restated in many of the above quotes spend time with the guns. If you get someone at a store unwilling to show several handguns, thank them and walk. Northwest Armory does a good job showing guns the Blackwater guys are good too, just small supply.

Good luck.

I pretty much agree with your statement. I have kicking the tires at gun shops and I am going to rent some of the pistols from the range to shoot. I am just trying to get some ideas or where to start my search. There are so many options that that you can't check them all.

like said before, its all up to you and what feels right... for a starting point... smith and wesson m&p pistols or 4th Gen Glocks are nice because they come with different sized back straps for the grip...

only problem with the glock is that the safety is in the trigger... not in the thumb. m&p pistols can come with up to 3 safeties: thumb switch, mag safety (will not fire with out a mag in the mag well) and internal lock safety.

I completely agree with those comments regarding the gun having to fit and be right for you. I personally carry an M&P 45 compact and love it but you may try one and find it's not your cup of tea. Like you, I am of medium build and have found that a full sized firearm is a bit large for me to carry concealed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top