JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at Gun shops and they are having some great deals. I was going to just go with the M&P sport II now that it is 559$, but now in around the same price range I can nab :

//COLT EXPANSE M4 5.56 CE1000//
OR RUGER AR-556 5.56 NATO 16.1 Model Number: 8500//
OR The S&W M&P Sport II //

Saw good things on the Sport two, but I know colts are great, and Rugers are classic. Anyone have any advice on what I should go with?

Any experience with these in comparison to each other? Any input would be greatly appreciated.;)

Take a look at the Del-Ton sport. It is under 600 dollars and weighs less that 6 pounds. I really like mine.

I've shot a del ton before I didn't mind it at all I just feel like I would have to upgrade parts in it. I know ruger and S&W have great customer support on top of a history of great firearms. Apparently everyone I've talked to has tried to steer me away from the colt so it seems it's between the ruger and S&W. I realize I may be "brand whoring" a bit lol. Are del ton American made?

I've shot a del ton before I didn't mind it at all I just feel like I would have to upgrade parts in it. I know ruger and S&W have great customer support on top of a history of great firearms. Apparently everyone I've talked to has tried to steer me away from the colt so it seems it's between the ruger and S&W. I realize I may be "brand whoring" a bit lol. Are del ton American made?

I retract what I said, all reviews seem to be very positive even from huge naysayers on all things. I'll have to see if it's in my price range at my shop, the ones I saw online were 6 to 750. Maybe handle it a bit with a different out look. Didn't realize they were American made either. I had another gun shop tell me they weren't, but I believe they were just trying to grab a purchase away from cabelas (my buddy grabbed one from there when he grabbed ammo from this particular in pdx gun store they gave him bs for buying a Chinese product from cabelas)

Last Edited:

Del-Ton is American made and I und gerstand that you may want different items than what they offer. As for me I find no need to have the latest and greatest, I just want a rifle that works. I have put some rounds through mine and have had no issues. Why I bought it was for the weight. My Ruger SR556E weighed in at 7.5 pounds right out of the box and the Del-Ton is 5.8 ounces. This makes quite a difference for me when holding the rifle for an extended period of time. If I was only going to be shooting from a bench I would have kept the Ruger. It is a very nice gun.

I don't know about the rest, but I've been pretty pleased with the Ruger AR-556 for a basic AR.
I do plan to dress this up a bit and I'm hearing that some stuff isn't easily interchangeable. The down side also with the S&W I hear is the handguard not being insulated so I would automatically upgrade that I suppose

Insulated? I vote for the S & W. I have examined some of the early Ruger ARs.
A little rough on fit/finish and machining.o_O The Colt uses different trigger and
hammer parts ( large pin).:confused::confused:

Love love love my S&W I can take that thing drag it through the mud put some cheap steel ammo in it and it still sings when you pull the trigger. Do some upgrades if you want or stock they are a great first or Backup budget friendly AR;)

Insulated? I vote for the S & W. I have examined some of the early Ruger ARs.
A little rough on fit/finish and machining.o_O The Colt uses different trigger and
hammer parts ( large pin).:confused::confused:

Insulated meaning the S&W stock handguard does not have any metal of sorts lined on the inside for being a "closed" handguard for absorbing the heat from the barrel. So if I were to rapid fire it I risk melting the polymer hand guard. I mean that'd not a huge issue. Easy fix.

OK @IronMonster will be all over me any time now :eek:
An AR is an AR is an AR
There ain't much difference in the cheap ones.
Which one do you like the feel of best?
How about the looks?
Price?
Cause there ain't much else different.
I bought the Del ton cause of the price. I've built a few and put together some real nice ones but this 600 dollar gun shoots as good as the expensive gunsI have built.
Just find the one with the furniture you like, you will most likely change something sooner or later,but something you like now.
Then compare prices. Maybe the second nices looking one is a little cheaper? Yes cheaper not less expensive :D
An AR is an AR is an AR
Come get some:cool:
:eek:

:D

OK @IronMonster will be all over me any time now :eek:
An AR is an AR is an AR
There ain't much difference in the cheap ones.
Which one do you like the feel of best?
How about the looks?
Price?
Cause there ain't much else different.
I bought the Del ton cause of the price. I've built a few and put together some real nice ones but this 600 dollar gun shoots as good as the expensive gunsI have built.
Just find the one with the furniture you like, you will most likely change something sooner or later,but something you like now.
Then compare prices. Maybe the second nices looking one is a little cheaper? Yes cheaper not less expensive :D
An AR is an AR is an AR
Come get some:cool:
:eek:

:D

I can get behind this. Any time I have shot something and it didn't hit on target it was usually me. I was asking the question more so due to the prices of them, I figured I would find out if anyone has had problems with them or if there was some feature or lack thereof in one of the brands. Pros and cons kind of thing. I already plan to dress up the rifle I get. In the future I plan to build one from scratch I'm just impatient and want something to shoot while I look at a half built project on my work bench. So far leaning towards the m&p15 sport II probably just gunna replace the hand guard and stock just for preference.

By way of introduction.. Ive been shooting AR's for many years, along with mini-14's, AKs (AKs are a WHOLE different country) FAL's H&Ks, Springfield M1's.. etc etc.
My latest choice is a Colt civilianised M4 rifle. Heck of a nice carbine and being a Colt parts are interchangeable with a lot of other M4s, AR15s, etc. Colt is a quality brand and has never disappointed me, in fact Ive never had to replace any parts, tho I have customised them to my own wishes/perceived needs.
The only non-Colt AR I own is an old "original" Bushmaster PRIOR to the company being sold. It too has been as good a carbine you could ask for. It has slogged thru snow, freezing rain and dust with no problem and I would recommend an ORIGINAL Bushie.
In answer to your question, other than a Daniel Defense rifle, I would go with the Colt.... Colt is well-made, tested, excellent barrels, and holds it's value (name recognition) should you need to sell it.
Bottom line, do your research (which you are or this thread wouldnt be here) and then choose wisely- this is something that you should be able to stake your life on. There are certainly other good rifles out there and price isnt always a measure of value but it's a good yardstick.

PSA 16" Mid-length 5.56 NATO 1:7 Nitride Freedom Upper - with BCG and CH - 507281
Blem PSA AR15 Complete Defender MOE Lower
Get ready to push two pins and then you'll have a complete rifle for 434.99 + whatever transfer fee you pay. PSA is a solid reputable company and ARs are nearly impossible to f**k up.

Funny you post this I had someone tell me about this the other day! Although during research I saw that people gave PSA a bad rep due to customer service and apparently some sort of security problem with their payment system? Not too sure on validity it just seemed to be a general consensus I ran into about PSA. Any legitimacy on this?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top