Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Help with a Spencer Bannerman?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by j7794led, Dec 1, 2014.

1. j7794led

j7794led Arlington Member

Hi all. My current project is repairing a 1896 spencer bannerman 12 ga. Damascus Barrel and pump shotgun that ejects the shells straight up. The stock was patched sometime in the last 100 years with a whittled 2x4. I want to make a stock or buy a stock. Anyone know where I can buy one or have one I can take (or you can take) detailed measurements so I can duplicate it correctly?

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You mean for one like this?

Randy Murray Murray's Custom Gunstocks
    The Dalles, OR 541-296-6916
    Never used him for making a stock, but have heard both good and bad reviews.

wm_md_4760191.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  3. j7794led

Just like that one. His website says he can duplicate...I'll see if he has any patterns, mine is not duplicable....

4. jbett98

This is going to be a tough one.
    Good luck.

5. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

If the stock (in its repaired, Frankenstein condition) still retains its original (or near original) dimensions, any stockmaker with a pantograph (read: "duplicator") can make you a near-original dimensioned stock.

You have an advantage here, in that your inletting (the machine work on the existing wood that fits to the metal on the gun, bolt holes and all) seems to be from your communication, intact. This is the only critical and problematic area toward creating a new stock for this good old gun.

6. j7794led

Too frankensteined for duplication. I've found some photos I'll probably end up just winging it. I set it aside for now working on other projects. Here is a photo of current stock...

image.jpg

7. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

And now I see your point. However, as I guessed, it seems the grip area attached to the gun itself is still original. THIS is the critical problem solved. Inletting is original. Now: find ONE other guy on the planet with the gun, and I am certain he will be very proud to supply precise measurements and photographs to allow a good stockmaker to complete your admirable project.

Post script: I have a real hard time understanding the concept of "putting a gun aside for other projects". I have very close and very respectable gun friends who do this. I cannot. It is an affliction, I know.

When I decide to devote attention to a singular gun, it absorbs my every waking hour, my dreams, my sleep, and other things in my life suffer for it. What's really weird, is most often it is a cheap old .22 that belongs to a neighbor.

jbett98 likes this.
  8. jbett98

Is this the same gun?
    Saw this on Armslist.

2290386_01_e_bannerman_spencer_shotgun_640.jpg
    2290386_02_e_bannerman_spencer_shotgun_640.jpg

9. j7794led

Ha! I'm redoing a marlin model 60 golden for my cousin right now, and a siamese mauser conversion (mine). How is it somebody else's project takes priority?!?! I'm more Attention deficit and am working on 2 or 3 simultaneously. This one is holding for that one person that can give me accurate and lots of measurements...or just loan me a stock ;-). I'd hate to get the metalwork all done and not have wood to put with it.

10. j7794led

Yes....that's the one..