JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Don't know where this should be so one of the Mods? Move it?

I live on a large area now 50+ acres. Right now the place is alive with rabbits. This means that the Coyotes will be back sooner or later. Over the years they have had a constant problem with them here when they show up. Can't really shoot them so I was thinking a Crossbow would work grand. I don't care if the wild dogs eat the bunnies but, I don't want them jumping my fence to eat my dogs when the bunnies are gone. I looked at my favorite place to check things, Jeff's. I see the bows going from a few hundred to over 2K. Now I just want something I could kill one of them at say 50 yards. So I want one I can scope. I just have no idea why some are a few hundred and others are a couple K? So anyone here who knows how these work can point to some recommendations?

It all comes down to need, Kinda like Guns, do you need a $2000+ AR when a $500 AR will do the exact same thing? Yea, me ether! That said, I have an couple year old Barnett X 410 with hand crank up grade, bolt velocities are way up there around 360 to 380 FPS with HEAVY bolts and broad heads, and it can throw a very heavy bolt well over a hundred yards accurately enough to bring down large game! Price was around $450 with the crank, and bolts can be made from standard arrow shafts you normally buy as kit's so you can really save coin not having to buy cross bow specific bolts, just get the bolt drive knocks and a fletching kit specific to cross bows and your golden! I use tungsten rod inserts I get from the welding shop ( Tig Welding rods) and cut them to length and rubber cement them in behind the point insert before cementing them in, allows me to get the weights up with out having to have large ( Slow) broad heads, and I like the Bi Delta Fletching in a fast twist, more accurate, but shorter range!

It all comes down to need, Kinda like Guns, do you need a $2000+ AR when a $500 AR will do the exact same thing? Yea, me ether! That said, I have an couple year old Barnett X 410 with hand crank up grade, bolt velocities are way up there around 360 to 380 FPS with HEAVY bolts and broad heads, and it can throw a very heavy bolt well over a hundred yards accurately enough to bring down large game! Price was around $450 with the crank, and bolts can be made from standard arrow shafts you normally buy as kit's so you can really save coin not having to buy cross bow specific bolts, just get the bolt drive knocks and a fletching kit specific to cross bows and your golden! I use tungsten rod inserts I get from the welding shop ( Tig Welding rods) and cut them to length and rubber cement them in behind the point insert before cementing them in, allows me to get the weights up with out having to have large ( Slow) broad heads, and I like the Bi Delta Fletching in a fast twist, more accurate, but shorter range!
THANKS! I spent a little time on screw tube and gave up. So many seem to love hearing themselves talk my eyes started to glaze over :D
I did like the crank idea compared to the rope. Since when I first get one I will have to shoot a while to feel comfortable with it before I try to use it. I really did not want to have to pay a couple K if a $400 job would work and it sounds like they will. All I want to do is kill humanly something that weighs like 40#'s. So I am not "big game hunting" here. I looked at a Barnett since I had heard that name a lot. They had what looked like a damn nice set up for around 500. Figure if it can shoot just 50 yards with accuracy enough to kill one of the 4 legged predators that's all I want. The last time the place we are had the critters show up it was only one that set up camp there. After it finished off the local rabbits it did start grabbing up some pets till they were able to run it off. So I figure I will not have to kill more than one or two to get them to stay the hell away from "my part" of the place :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top