JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm trying to develope a defence load for a Taurus 450 , a K-frame,45lc, 5 shot, 2" barrel, snubbie.
The frame seems pretty stout, with a gripframe similar to a gp100.
Because of the short barrel it will be hard to get any good velocity with a 230-260grn bullet.
I'd like to get something like a 230grn hp going around 800fps
None of the loading manuals cover a short barrel though.
Any suggestions?

I forgot its a solid 29oz. Stainless model.

I would use the fastest burning powder listed in the manual. Probably something like Bullseye or Unique would be good choices.

My guess is u'll have to go with the lightest weight bullet you can find.It's the old trade-off game..velocity vs bullet weight as to which is more effective.Bullseye powder is quite fast,Unique not so much as I recall.800 fps out of a snubby with 45 caliber bullets is asking lot I"m thinking,but you may get it.I'm not sure..

Throckmorton's right. After consulting my trusty Lyman manual I think you'll need to stay below 240gr for your bullet and use a full load of Unique to do anything close to 800fps out of that short of a barrel. The Lyman manual lists 10.8gr of Unique to get slightly over 900 fps with a 225gr jacketed bullet out of a 7.5" Ruger. If you run a cast bullet of 200-225gr, you might be able to get there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top