Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Help with 45lc load.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by taylor, Dec 17, 2011.

1. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I'm trying to develope a defence load for a Taurus 450 , a K-frame,45lc, 5 shot, 2" barrel, snubbie.
    The frame seems pretty stout, with a gripframe similar to a gp100.
    Because of the short barrel it will be hard to get any good velocity with a 230-260grn bullet.
    I'd like to get something like a 230grn hp going around 800fps
    None of the loading manuals cover a short barrel though.
    Any suggestions?

I forgot its a solid 29oz. Stainless model.

2. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I would use the fastest burning powder listed in the manual. Probably something like Bullseye or Unique would be good choices.

3. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

My guess is u'll have to go with the lightest weight bullet you can find.It's the old trade-off game..velocity vs bullet weight as to which is more effective.Bullseye powder is quite fast,Unique not so much as I recall.800 fps out of a snubby with 45 caliber bullets is asking lot I"m thinking,but you may get it.I'm not sure..

4. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Throckmorton's right. After consulting my trusty Lyman manual I think you'll need to stay below 240gr for your bullet and use a full load of Unique to do anything close to 800fps out of that short of a barrel. The Lyman manual lists 10.8gr of Unique to get slightly over 900 fps with a 225gr jacketed bullet out of a 7.5" Ruger. If you run a cast bullet of 200-225gr, you might be able to get there.