JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Taurus PT1911 and decided to install a trigger kit from Ed Brown. I installed the sear and disconnecter with no issues then the new hammer. I inserted the grip safety and then dropped in the safety lever and snapped it into place. Now the safety will not budge up or down. It looks like the stud that is supposed to slide upward is running into the left side of the sear. I didn't check the dimensions of the replacement parts and now suspect that I put series 70 parts in a series 80 gun and the sear is actually wider now blocking the path of the thumb safety. How the hell do I get it out now? Any ideas would be appreciated.

I've noticed a difference in Taurus (internal) parts compared to other 1911 parts. The back of the sear of the Ed brown sear is slightly thicker. The safety will most likely need to be fitted to the new sear

I've noticed a difference in Taurus (internal) parts compared to other 1911 parts. The back of the sear of the Ed brown sear is slightly thicker. The safety will most likely need to be fitted to the new sear

"Always Present" Velsey! You may not see him, but know, that he see's your post. :s0155:

x2 on parts having to be fitted. seems to be the
case for most 1911 parts in my experience. i am NOT a gun smith though. just a hobby of mine.

What position is the safety stuck in?

Picture?
Sitting in normal off position, will lift about an 1/8", not enough to pull it out.

188F3CA8-B482-47C0-8620-82D53394B00E.jpeg

I got it out, this was the original part and it didn't occur to me it would need to be refit.
Now you know.

If you haven't done this before, either do as it says above and take it to a pro, or do much studying on correctly fitting a thumb safety as well as how to check a 1911 for safe function before attempting to fit it yourself.

My advise is to take it out to Velzey and let him deal with it.
I've been in this exact same scenario and I always made it worse, which cost me more in the long run.
It's a pleasant drive to Estacada, and as a bonus, you get to meet a super nice guy who will solve your problem and not charge you an arm and a leg.

I thought ALL 1911 thumb safeties need fitting... is this not true when one buys a "kit"? Do they come as a matched set???

I thought ALL 1911 thumb safeties need fitting... is this not true when one buys a "kit"? Do they come as a matched set???
I bought a trigger kit, the safety was the original. Oddly I never got it to work. I dropped in a ambi safety and it went right in and works great. Just happy to have my .45 running again!

My advise is to take it out to Velzey and let him deal with it.
I've been in this exact same scenario and I always made it worse, which cost me more in the long run.
It's a pleasant drive to Estacada, and as a bonus, you get to meet a super nice guy who will solve your problem and not charge you an arm and a leg.
This incident ended my brief experience of gunsmithing via YouTube. I have heard Velzey does great work and his shop is just a few miles from my range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top