JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
if your going to experiment with loads then do so knowing that if you post here you can get the bubblegume end of the stick ;)

oh and when you want real answers then do a full post of your load
gun
barrel length
powder
load
bullet
coal
etc

Too bad you're so far away I could have helped ya out with unique, blue dot or bullseye.
Thanks for the detonation Mark. And thanks for the nice thought deadeye!

I'm going to work up my test batches and follow the other recommendation to share the full load details.

In the meantime...just found out Midsouth has 8# Hi-Skor! Ordered a jug and paid two fingers for them....can't wait (their site says it will take eons to ship the powder, ok, just 7-12 business days delayed, but feels like eons to me now).

Thanks for the detonation Mark. And thanks for the nice thought deadeye!

I'm going to work up my test batches and follow the other recommendation to share the full load details.

In the meantime...just found out Midsouth has 8# Hi-Skor! Ordered a jug and paid two fingers for them....can't wait (their site says it will take eons to ship the powder, ok, just 7-12 business days delayed, but feels like eons to me now).

"High Score" what? 700 or 800? 700X I guess now that I look at the chart. Pain in the butt to measure. I bought some when I first got into loading, sold it fast. You might be better off pleading with members to have mercy on your soul and sell you a jug of something easier measuring. :D

"High Score" what? 700 or 800? 700X I guess now that I look at the chart. Pain in the butt to measure. I bought some when I first got into loading, sold it fast. You might be better off pleading with members to have mercy on your soul and sell you a jug of something easier measuring. :D

I still have about 4 1lb jugs of 700x that are on the backside of my cabinet waiting for preferred powders to be used up. Will sell them to you cheap Mikej. :p;):D

I still have about 4 1lb jugs of 700x that are on the backside of my cabinet waiting for preferred powders to be used up. Will sell them to you cheap Mikej. :p;):D

How much....will you pay me? I'll drive out to get it if you'll put me up at the Sandman for the night? And bring any supplies you might need from the city? :s0140:

Trail Boss Powder. Many cowboys use it and like it. Because, it takes up space vs. those tiny loads of the fast powders (i.e. Bull Eye Powder).

Aloha, Mark

Findings...
  • I will not be using Silhouette for my 38 special loads anymore (that was the starting point). Saving those for my 9mm minor loads.
  • I like the grouping from TiteGroup with 125 gr (batch 309) and how it felt (except for shot 4 was too soft).
  • The TiteWad load (batch 311) were soft "thumps"... felt great and somewhat accurate.
  • The TiteGroup with 158 gr (batch 312) felt recoil was a bit harsh, too snappy. The opposite of batch 311, probably didn't help as I shot them back to back.
  • RedDot was pretty clean, shot well. Felt recoil akin to factory loads.
More about the test:
  • Ruger LCR 357 magnum 1.875" barrel.
  • All casings were nickle plated once-fired. Washed and dried, air tight with desiccant for 7 days before loading.
  • All loads used Federal match small magnum primers (I know...didn't need to but have some and wanted to try them).
  • Shots fired in free standing two-handed grip, shot at cadence, no rest. 7 yrds. (first shot had slow-mo effect...fooling around with the phone camera)
  • Chrono was a LabRadar. (the table's V0 indicates muzzle velocity, V5 is 5 feet, V10 is 10 feet and so on).
  • See attached for shot data.
  • Vid on batch number 311:
Next - got some HiSkor 700X on order. Will load that along with the next batch to test. Looking for Unique, Bullseye, and Ramshot Competition. Just ordered a Comancheros 38sp lever action. Will be shooting out of that one soon.

batch details.jpg shot details.jpg IMG_E2939.JPG IMG_2983.JPG spent cartridges.jpg pix302710521.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads